For what would you sell Gareth Bale?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At what point would you ok a sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid?

• Total voters
I understand when people say we would be mental to turn down £85mil but I bet almost every United fan would rather they had kept Ronaldo that got the money they did.

I think that if Bale does go, it'll be for significantly less than the £86-100 million figure being thrown around in the media. I remember that immediately preceding the Modric transfer, the media predicted a transfer fee of between £40-45 million. He ended up going for £33 million.

That being said, Bale is worth much, much more than £80 million to the club. He features prominently in all international marketing for the club. His personal twitter account has 1.06 million followers - almost twice that of Tottenham's official account. His shirt sales probably dwarf all other members of the club. It is rumored that Paulinho also joined Spurs in order to play with Bale.

I think that the club at this point should take action against Barnett. He's already been banned for 12 months in the past by the FA.

As brilliant as Gareth has been for us, 86 mil or anything near that would do wonders for us in terms of improving the overall quality of our team. Remember all those matches when we were struggling for any fluency in our passing/build up, and hoping for Gareth to step up and do something magical all on his own. Well that can't carry on if we want to keep moving up. Sure it would be great to keep him and upgrade the rest of the squad too, but that's not realistic for us. Whether we like it or not, we are a selling club at the moment. We have to sell our best player to generate the funds to improve the weakest areas of the team.

And if there is any truth to the Morata thing, and if that deal actually happens, then we would be getting a very fine prospect for the future, as well as backup for our current strike force.

we've already bought Paulinho, Chadli and by all accounts Soldado so we've added plenty of craft and scoring ability, we need to keep Bale add a defender or 2 and try to win the fucking league

madrid and everyone associated with them can go fuck a giraffe and drown themselves in their 86 million

Cunts. : ostrich:

As brilliant as Gareth has been for us, 86 mil or anything near that would do wonders for us in terms of improving the overall quality of our team. Remember all those matches when we were struggling for any fluency in our passing/build up, and hoping for Gareth to step up and do something magical all on his own. Well that can't carry on if we want to keep moving up. Sure it would be great to keep him and upgrade the rest of the squad too, but that's not realistic for us. Whether we like it or not, we are a selling club at the moment. We have to sell our best player to generate the funds to improve the weakest areas of the team.

And if there is any truth to the Morata thing, and if that deal actually happens, then we would be getting a very fine prospect for the future, as well as backup for our current strike force.
And there in lies the crux of the issue, that's a ton of money and a young talent; however, it would appear we have brought in a good deal of talent to compliment bale. We have brought in holtby, siggy, paulinho, chadli, & hopefully soldado, which seems to imply intent. Keeping bale means a very good side with a transcendent player who can, if required, make that moment of magic. As this will be the first season where the epl is available for free thanks to NBC in the us, bale's value should not be underestimated. He's like able and ridiculously good and young, and that sells. Simply put, I think keeping him is the best course of action.

And there in lies the crux of the issue, that's a ton of money and a young talent; however, it would appear we have brought in a good deal of talent to compliment bale. We have brought in holtby, siggy, paulinho, chadli, & hopefully soldado, which seems to imply intent. Keeping bale means a very good side with a transcendent player who can, if required, make that moment of magic. As this will be the first season where the epl is available for free thanks to NBC in the us, bale's value should not be underestimated. He's like able and ridiculously good and young, and that sells. Simply put, I think keeping him is the best course of action.
Yeh but have you thought that maybe the reason Levy is making these signings and more right now is because he is counting on that money from selling Bale. 25m for Soldado sounds kinda crazy for us, doesn't it?

I had a lot of debate with myself on this one. I think he is invaluable potential wise, but I would be ok if he went to Madrid for.........Ronaldo + £50k/week of his salary till the stadium is built. I think that is fair given Ronaldo's value and the fact he has less years on his contract I think. Don't know if Ronaldo is still in love with United without SAF, but I think he wants to go back to England. £ to £ I think that is fair

:kaboul:

The rest of the Modric money, ratboy himself (I'd hate to see him in a United shirt), Coentrao and £81m within a year.

:levylol:

Purely as a fan - I'd love for us to keep him to end of his contract and win the league.

And for him to then re-sign with us. And we win it again. And the Champions League. And the FA Cup (beating Woolwich in the final 25-0, Bale scoring a mere 11 goals - and yes, Lloris gets one). AND the League Cup (beating Chelsea in the final 22-0 - Bale gets 8, Lloris gets 2).

This may be why I don't run my own business.

Yeh but have you thought that maybe the reason Levy is making these signings and more right now is because he is counting on that money from selling Bale. 25m for Soldado sounds kinda crazy for us, doesn't it?
I have and it does; however, I think that Bale's value to Spurs from a purely marketing stand point is significant. That NBC has chosen to make the derby v the scum a theme of their advertising in the us and Bale a face of the league strongly suggests that he will stay and his value where we cannot see it (club exposure, jersey sales, etc.) is extraordinary. It seems that we are well positioned to make a strong push into the us market with a young, gifted talent and a strong team in the first year the league will be widely available on basic cable in the states. While I appreciate that this will lead to an influx of plastic fans and their ilk, I think Levy et al view this as a business and keeping Bale with this squad under these circumstances makes sense. (Please note that a £80+ million offer + a player also makes sense in a similar line of "its a business" reasoning, I just don't think that those options are really on the table at this point)

From a fan perspective, I hope like hell he stays, watching him in this squad next year is an incredibly exciting prospect!

I have and it does; however, I think that Bale's value to Spurs from a purely marketing stand point is significant. That NBC has chosen to make the derby v the scum a theme of their advertising in the us and Bale a face of the league strongly suggests that he will stay and his value where we cannot see it (club exposure, jersey sales, etc.) is extraordinary. It seems that we are well positioned to make a strong push into the us market with a young, gifted talent and a strong team in the first year the league will be widely available on basic cable in the states. While I appreciate that this will lead to an influx of plastic fans and their ilk, I think Levy et al view this as a business and keeping Bale with this squad under these circumstances makes sense. (Please note that a £80+ million offer + a player also makes sense in a similar line of "its a business" reasoning, I just don't think that those options are really on the table at this point)

From a fan perspective, I hope like hell he stays, watching him in this squad next year is an incredibly exciting prospect!
I understand what you are saying. But I think if there really is £80m+ on the table right now, Levy will take it. And I wouldn't blame him for it. That's all I'm saying.

Back
Top Bottom