FOR FLIPS SAKE, WE'VE SIGNED VERTONGHEN!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Manchester+United+v+Tottenham+Hotspur+Premier+fM9pVO5wjf-x.jpg

Can't help but think Vertonghen may become a regular left back here. Vertonghen and Bale down the flank is pretty awesome.

Gallas is getting on but I expect him to continue playing for a while yet, he's a dogged defender and a good captain. Caulker is class and then we have Daws and Kaboul when he's back.

Hate to say it, but Benny looked a bit sloppy at times before his injury, so maybe he'll lose out.

S.L.R said:
Can't help but think Vertonghen may become a regular left back here. Vertonghen and Bale down the flank is pretty awesome.

Gallas is getting on but I expect him to continue playing for a while yet, he's a dogged defender and a good captain. Caulker is class and then we have Daws and Kaboul when he's back.

Hate to say it, but Benny looked a bit sloppy at times before his injury, so maybe he'll lose out.
Isn't it where he plays for Belgium?

S.L.R said:

Agree could see a back 4 of =
Walker - Kaboul - Caulker - Vertoghen
By the end of the season.

Sean said:
S.L.R said:

Agree could see a back 4 of =
Walker - Kaboul - Caulker - Vertoghen
By the end of the season.

It's a pretty formidable back line isn't it. and with Lloris behind them it will be very technically skill full a proper Spurs back line that is. I still think his best position is as a Centre back, We are blessed with defenders at the moment.

Yeah Jan isn't the greatest at facing up to someone like Nani isolated at LB. He's deceivingly agile but if I was Chelsea I'd put Hazard on the right and I think that would probably put an end to the "make him permanent LB" sentiment.

He's good there, but he's MUCH better as a center back, and I think we'd see him exposed eventually at left back.

Still think our first choice defense should have him in the middle. BAE might be sloppy at times but he's faster at recovering and better in those isolated situations against tricky players.

Yeah he did struggle defensively at times, I was gonna put that in my earlier post as a caveat but didn't because Benny can struggle defensively at times too. If Benny finds good form I could see him taking the spot back definitely, but if not I wonder if Vertonghen might be used there based on the attacking potential

Crooks BBC team of the week.

The Dutch defender was bought as a centre-half but played at left-back at Old Trafford and looked sensational. I can't remember when I last saw a defender beat three players before steering the ball past the keeper. It's always useful to have a centre-back who can play well in other positions. At a reported £10m, he looks great value for money.

Did you know? Vertonghen made more passes than any other player in the Dutch top flight last season - 2,419 - while maintaining a 90% success rate.

Back
Top Bottom