Financial results

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it's pretty obvious that it (or other elements involved) isn't or we wouldn't be keeping the option open of deferring the PC date of the stadium build.
Levy is concerned about the public infrastructure and the various local partners living up to their end of the bargain because this reassurance is needed for the banks, not just for the stadium but the entire Northumberland Development Project. The stadium by all accounts is on schedule, perhaps a bit ahead since they were able to start on the 6th core when they demolished the northeast corner of WHL.

Levy is trying to put additional pressure on the council and other public partners with this language - there is no advantage at staying at WHL another year as the south stand, sliding pitch, and roof cannot be started until WHL is demolished, not to mention the NFL deal that stipulates a 2018 start date to the agreement. The FA is also playing along by letting the decision slide into April to give Levy additional time to get everything aligned before moving forward.

as with most things Levy does there appears (from the outside) to be a reason. I wonder if the stadium being delayed another 12months scuppers local council plans, targets or something along those lines... Maybe external investment on other projects is linked to our delivery date? If delaying the decision forces their hand then so be it. Hasn't the secretary of state piped up in the past to move things along? Maybe Levy is after an assurance something is going our way before committing?

Perhaps i'm clutching at straws
There are lots of plates spinning at the same time, one of those plates is the local council delivering on their commitments, namely the biggest is to have WHL Station rebuilt. He called them out (in a private email, leaked) only a handful of weeks ago calling their efforts embarrassing and in the financial statement released today he has another shot across the bows.

"The stadium build has now reached Level 6; the NFL has engaged in the design of its dedicated areas; the groundworks for the Tottenham Experience Museum and Retail store are underway along with restoration works to Percy House, the future High Road home for the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

The progress of the construction programme and the delivery timetable for the new stadium and associated public sector infrastructure works – both of which are paramount before any decision will be made on the decommissioning of White Hart Lane – are being closely monitored".

His first paragraph is communicating everything Spurs are doing and is well under way. The 2nd paragraph on the other hand is aimed at the public sector and their commitments, which by virtue of their omission in his comments tells you all you need to know how they are progressing on their side of the bargain.

The bit that worries me is the "associated public sector infrastructure works". While THFC will be pushing hard on this, the delivery timeline for the WHL station upgrade is ultimately out of our hands.

Indeed, having the stadium built and ready in 15 or so months is very feasible but were they not planning a fly-over pathway from WHL station directly to the new stadium?! - That shit would take decades.

Indeed, having the stadium built and ready in 15 or so months is very feasible but were they not planning a fly-over pathway from WHL station directly to the new stadium?! - That shit would take decades.
I think the bit that needs to happen in the near future for the new stadium to be feasible is rebuilding the station entrance and ticket hall to improve access and queuing. See http://www.thstofficial.com/uploads/2/2/4/9/22491060/whl_station.pdf

The flyover, as you say, will be much more long-term, if it ever happens at all.

I think the bit that needs to happen in the near future for the new stadium to be feasible is rebuilding the station entrance and ticket hall to improve access and queuing. See http://www.thstofficial.com/uploads/2/2/4/9/22491060/whl_station.pdf

The flyover, as you say, will be much more long-term, if it ever happens at all.

It's currently a killer for the Young and old having to queue for an hour after a long day, my parents (70) who travel several hours each way worry about the journey back. Getting more trains through the station in peak periods is the key. Sure the station needs more capacity and the ability to buy tickets would help but most will be on a return of a ticket they purchase at their local station... So make it more efficient for people coming in and out and get more trams through.

The fly-over is a 'nice to have' IMHO!

We're 1-2 special players away from winning the league, imv - separate discussion all together
IMO not a separate discussion because we won't win at Wembley or our first season in the new ground. By that time the team won't be the same, players will be older, some will have left, Poch might have left. You might be right about 1-2 special players but I think the current crop could win it depending on the opposition. If Chelsea had had European football we might have won it this year.

IMO not a separate discussion because we won't win at Wembley or our first season in the new ground. By that time the team won't be the same, players will be older, some will have left, Poch might have left. You might be right about 1-2 special players but I think the current crop could win it depending on the opposition. If Chelsea had had European football we might have won it this year.
I guess years of Spursy bottling have made me a pessimist - I won't even be confident in Top 4 until it happens

For all of Railtracks faults (if they are indeed in the driving seat) near me they did a new station, changed several roads, compulsory purchases and relief road in 8 months so it is possible but guess we want someone, somewhere, committing to the spend and a deadline

It's currently a killer for the Young and old having to queue for an hour after a long day, my parents (70) who travel several hours each way worry about the journey back. Getting more trains through the station in peak periods is the key. Sure the station needs more capacity and the ability to buy tickets would help but most will be on a return of a ticket they purchase at their local station... So make it more efficient for people coming in and out and get more trams through.

The fly-over is a 'nice to have' IMHO!
I don't often use WHL station post-match myself, but when I have done it's seemed like the bottleneck is more around actually getting into the station and up to the platform, and the trains themselves end up not being as full as they possibly could be. So it makes good sense to me for the focus to be on getting more people onto the platform more quickly. There's only so many trains that can stop there (though I'm sure a few more could... always winds me up when trains go through Northumberland Park after a match without stopping when the platform's packed)

Never even happened for Holloway tube which is now closed match days
True, but they have Highbury & Islington, Finsbury Park, Caledonian Road and Woolwich stations all within a 15 minute walk - they can cope even with Holloway Road and Drayton Park closed. Our transport infrastructure as it currently stands can only just about cope with 36k, let alone 61k.

Back
Top Bottom