Financial report

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£37.1m made from the champions league, just as expected. Along with an extra £2.5m from media coverage thanks to CL involvement. It's a pity we didn't invest some of that in a new striker and we'd be lighting up the continent once again this season.

Interesting Levy mentions salary inflation which I presume is a yearly guarantee for most if not all the players, which when you consider their salaries and the current world financial climate that's a fucking disgrace. I really hate footballers (not that I'd be any different if I was them).

A financing package will need to include bank finance, enabling development and sponsorship. Quite clearly any significant, further investment by the Club would need to be in the context of a commitment by the public sector to undertake public infrastructure works in order to create the environment and confidence to commit further.These would include public sector improvements such as public space upgrades, improved public transport and public realm works, to be delivered in the surrounding area and to contribute to the general uplift of the borough, thereby creating an area in which the Club can justify an investment of hundreds of millions of pounds, secure funding and be a catalyst for further regenerative investment. We are continuing to hold positive and constructive discussions with local, regional and national government as we seek to move this scheme forward.

Looks like we'll be waiting a while for the new stadium then. I know Boris has reportedly agreed to give £7.5m and a new tube station but that doesn't look like it's enough for our Danny boy.

Spurs TV records the highest number of subscribers for equivalent products across the Premier League

:walker:

We shall fully embrace the Europa League this season

:akabusi:

We fully support the UEFA regulations alongside the Premier League’s view on Financial Fair Play and we shall be a test case in the run up to its implementation

Interesting, I wonder what he means by a test case? Where's the need for UEFA to have a test case? You either abide by the rules or you don't. Personally I don't believe the "big boys" will and there will always be ways around it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... adium.html

The announcement of plans to 'de-list' the club from the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) came as Spurs revealed record revenues for the 2010-2011 season.

Thanks to Champions League football revenue rose almost £44m to £163.5m, with operating profits up 42 per cent to £32.3m.

The cost of maintaining a large squad for Europe saw costs rise sharply too however, up 35 per cent to £131.2m (2010: £97.1m). The club recorded a pre-tax profit of £400,000.

The intention to take the club private is the clearest indication yet that Spurs are pressing ahead with the Northumberland Park development next to White Hart Lane following their defeat in the Olympic Stadium bid. The move follows consultation with potential lenders and investors who suggested the club would have more flexibility if privately owned. Naming rights, possibly worth £150 million will be a crucial part of the funding package.

Tottenham need to raise £300-£350m to build the new stadium at Northumberland Park, much of which will come from borrowing.
Chairman Daniel Levy said this would be easier if they were privately owned.

"It is clear to us that increasing the capacity of the Club's stadium is a key factor in the continued development and success of the Club and will involve the Company in considerable additional capital expenditure," he said.

"Given this requirement, we believe that the AIM listing restricts our ability to secure funding for its future development. We are ambitious for the Club and have always taken the steps that we believe to be in its best interests."

The club's majority owners ENIC will now propose at the AGM on December 13 that the club be de-listed. ENIC owen 82 per cent of the shares with the remainder owned by 30,000 small shareholders who will be able to sell their shares at no cost if they wish.

It may be the cynic in me but I'd say taking the club private would be step one in selling which is something ENIC have had on the cards for a long time now. Pre tax profits of only £400,000 is peanuts to a company like that and the big bucks are only in getting the club sold for a nice healthy profit.

As a supporter and shareholder I'm pretty happy with all of this.

Would never want to sell my 0.0001% share of the club though

It's good that we are a least showing that you can compete and be financially stable and not debt ridden. Building a new ground will affect that, but the other lot managed to do it without oil money.

It does place greater importance on qualifying for CL this season and finally getting Dos Santos, Pav, Bentley and Jenas off of the wage bill. Gotta be £120k p/w right there, which is a new strikers wages.

Yeah alls looking good but I really want to see some genuine progress re. the stadium build. It's been going on for so long now it feels like it's never going to happen. It would be great if in the next six months we could at least get a proposed start date for construction.

I'm never sure what to feel about the new stadium, almost feel like we've missed the boat.

And makes me laugh hearing people moaning about lack of transfers. If we have a bigger stadium do they think we'll be spending more or less on transfers?

At the moment the club has got it good considering the economic climate, supply and demand means that whatever season ticket prices are there will be always be someone desperate to buy any that come available at whatever the price. Would that be the same at a bigger stadium - I doubt it.

If they compulsory purchase shares and deliat from AIM then people realise they won't be a good long term bet to buy, so people are looking to sell now.

People won't buy as once trading fees are taken out there won't be any profit in them, unless they rise say 30% in the next few months. So more sellers than buyers - price drops.

I'd imagine that the price will be back up a little towards the end of the day. At one point today they actually rose fractionally on the opening price s morning. I guess a few investors aren't sure how to take the news. I guess that a lot of people may have been expecting something more concrete regarding the stadium

Even after today my shares are double the value of when I got them.

we need a new stadium as everyone knows although we need to be successful before we built it in my opinion or it won't sell out, but that's another conversation.

Just out of interest, is £400k profit for that sort of turnover good? NO. Better than nothing but I've decided having looked at the figures not to get involved with buying the club from ENIC.

I don't really think there is any proper money to be made from running a football club. The trick seems to be to buy a club, bring it moderate success and then make your money when you sell it on.

These days the only people who heavily invest are the oil tycoons who can spend like money is meaningless. Teams like Man Utd and the Spanish clubs can only do so because they have become successful brands.

This has been the reason spurs have forged links in South Africa and why we signed Toda. All those shirt sales all help the marketing which makes us a more interesting prospect to advertisers.

The club was valued at around £150M in 2001 when ENIC took over. I'd guess the club would be worth more than double that now with the land owned and revenue streams, not to mention players. Add a brand new 50k seater stadium to that and even after the cost of building ENIC are in a great position to sell for a nice profit.

It was important to show a profit in a champions league season.

Sibs said:
The trick seems to be to buy a club, bring it moderate success and then make your money when you sell it on.

this is what it's all about. ENIC are an investment company and were always in it to make money. Will be interesting to see who they could sell to in the next 5-10 years though (if it's that long). Personally as much as people dislike him I'd be sorry to see Levy and ENIC go, simply because the club I love is in a very stable position which means I should be able to force my child to sit through the ups and downs of it in 20 years time.

drwinston001 said:
Just out of interest, is £400k profit for that sort of turnover good? NO. Better than nothing but I've decided having looked at the figures not to get involved with buying the club from ENIC.

Key figure is operating profit, which from memory (haven't looked since skimming over this morning) was c£30m

The bottom line profit before tax also includes player trading which isn't included in Operating Profit i.e. if we sold loads of players our Operating Profit wouldn't change (other than due to a decrease in the wage bill). It's effectively the same as a company making £30m and re-investing it in new premises, machinery etc.

Again, that was my first reading of the statement this morning and I haven't re-checked while writing this but that's my take. All round it tells us what we knew...CL = £££ = decent profits = reduction of long term debts etc = the rich get richer.

thedutchman said:
Key figure is operating profit, which from memory (haven't looked since skimming over this morning) was c£30m

The bottom line profit before tax also includes player trading which isn't included in Operating Profit i.e. if we sold loads of players our Operating Profit wouldn't change (other than due to a decrease in the wage bill). It's effectively the same as a company making £30m and re-investing it in new premises, machinery etc.

This is why Levy has been keen to get rid of the deadwood. Woodgate, Keane and Hutton would have been around £130k. That money is most of Adebayor and Parker's wages.

As I said, there is more deadwood (add bassong and possibly Gomes and Krancjar to that earlier list) to shift of roughly the same money p/w. this frees up wages for a new striker without affecting operating costs.

Back
Top Bottom