Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was a top class player in his day but not anymore. One of worst players on the field vs Ajax - sorry but we don't even play to his strengths which is baffling

And there in lies the crux in regards to his low amount of goals. Play to a players strength and he will perform well. He's still done well enough as a target man and he's been directly involved in a fair few league goals for us even if he hasn't scored that many. 4 assists and key passes to an additional 5 or so.

Even against Ajax he was very important by giving us the option of the long ball so as to not put too much pressure on Hugo, Sanchez and Wanyama having to carry the ball (the big reason why Ajax dominated so quickly. They pressed our most stressed players to hell).

He's getting old yes and he probably doesn't have multiple 90 minute matches per week in him anymore. But he's looked his best when off the bench, which is also when he has scored most of his goals.

Not sure how anyone can ever possibly say he's an able or reliable goal scorer. He clearly isn't. 3 CL goals is a decent return. 1 league goal a season is not.

If you were to argue he is effective as opposed to a goal scorer I'd be able to understand a little more where you were coming from, however even then he certainly wasn't that against Ajax.

I think his body is just moving slower than his mind at this stage. A few times he tried playing a cross field ball, but it took so long for him to get it out of his feet the ball got intercepted by the time he passed. He's a decent option given our lack of other options. But let's not pretend he's a goalscorer.

And there in lies the crux in regards to his low amount of goals. Play to a players strength and he will perform well. He's still done well enough as a target man and he's been directly involved in a fair few league goals for us even if he hasn't scored that many. 4 assists and key passes to an additional 5 or so.

Even against Ajax he was very important by giving us the option of the long ball so as to not put too much pressure on Hugo, Sanchez and Wanyama having to carry the ball (the big reason why Ajax dominated so quickly. They pressed our most stressed players to hell).

He's getting old yes and he probably doesn't have multiple 90 minute matches per week in him anymore. But he's looked his best when off the bench, which is also when he has scored most of his goals.
Sorry - we'd just have to agree and disagree

Not sure how anyone can ever possibly say he's an able or reliable goal scorer. He clearly isn't. 3 CL goals is a decent return. 1 league goal a season is not.

If you were to argue he is effective as opposed to a goal scorer I'd be able to understand a little more where you were coming from, however even then he certainly wasn't that against Ajax.

I think his body is just moving slower than his mind at this stage. A few times he tried playing a cross field ball, but it took so long for him to get it out of his feet the ball got intercepted by the time he passed. He's a decent option given our lack of other options. But let's not pretend he's a goalscorer.
Who's saying he's an able or reliable goalscorer?

Consistent? Nah.
Reliable? Not quite still.
Able? Why not.... Hardly fevered praise we're talking here.

If he's not "able" that would suggest he CANNOT. Evidence proves otherwise surely......

(Yes, this is semantics, but it's not me that got that particular ball rolling....)

Do you still disagree that he's goals per minute is decent? Or that he's outscored many AM's CF's for other teams this season?

I'm not suggesting, nor is anyone else that I have noticed, that he's the nutts of a player and we should keep him. Just recognising his contribution in context to the game time he's played.

If you have an issue with our playing staff but champion our chairman you're a bit of a cock.

Do you still disagree that he's goals per minute is decent? Or that he's outscored many AM's CF's for other teams this season?

I'm not suggesting, nor is anyone else that I have noticed, that he's the nutts of a player and we should keep him. Just recognising his contribution in context to the game time he's played.
Yeah certainly don't think he's been 'bad', but nowhere near the calibre of backup needed for a team with aims of Prem titles and CL's. If he was third choice as opposed to 2nd choice I'd have zero issues.

We should have got him at this point in time...

Fernando+Llorente+Netherlands+v+Spain+2010+9FrWApQ7A3fl.jpg

If you have an issue with our playing staff but champion our chairman you're a bit of a cock.

Who's doing that?

Besides theres plenty of legit reasons why one could be down on a player, that don't fall at a chairman's feet.

When x or y player was fucking with Poch when he first arrived was that down to DL? ....When Walker declared he wanted to jump ship for oil-gotten gains that was in fact instigated by DL? ...You get the idea.

Last edited:
Yeah certainly don't think he's been 'bad', but nowhere near the calibre of backup needed for a team with aims of Prem titles and CL's. If he was third choice as opposed to 2nd choice I'd have zero issues.

He kinda is tho tbf.... When all else bar HK are fit we play false 9 (hense why many feel it a waste of time shopping for a pure ST2 and urge focussing on another 'Son' to indirectly replace FL instead).

Maybe this shitty diamond hss led to a few more starts in HKs a absence this year, but look back at last season. FL barely got a sniff in the latter half of the league when Harry was out. Bloody well we did too.

Seems we're left with a pretty minor quibble at this point...

I can not believe anyone is even debating Llorente’s quality as a striker, let’s alone throwing our some kind of power rating stats to try and big him up.....he’s fucking shite.
Now before anyone goes all nuclear ☢️, I like the guy and he’s a Spurs player, and I’d be the first to say well done if he can pull the Ajax game from the fire, in fact I sincerely hope he is the guy who bags the winner......

As a 3rd choice striker behind Kane and Son we will not get a more experienced player than Llorente. If he stays he will be entering his third season in a back-up a role he has accepted and understands, he brings his years of top class experience and the years of playing within the Spurs system ...

However he isn't the future, he takes up an overseas squad place, he's getting old

What are our options -

1. Sign a 100m striker and drop Son to 3rd choice
  2. Sign a 100m striker play Kane as an AM behind the new guy and Son
  3. Sign a 30m striker to replace Llorente as 3rd choice, release Llorente
  4. Promote a home-grown youngster to gain experience, keep Llorente
  5. Promote a home-grown youngster to gain experience, release Llorente
  6. Give Llorente another year

I like option 2 but don't think spending 100m on an area we are strong in already is justified, Option 4 works but adds payroll and means even less playing time for the back-ups ....

Option 1 - No
Option 3 - What's the point
Option 5 - Who?

So for me go with option 6 ... spend our budget where it's needed we already score enough goals and that's even with the strikers world cup knackered / away / injured nearly all season ...

Bangkokspur, when does this youngster gain experience ? (options 4 & 5) in Poch's first few seasons with us he gave 1 or 2 youngsters match time at the end of games, but since the pressure of top 4 he hardly ever gives a young player match time, Llorente appears too slow in matches is that due to age or lack ofregular match time ? Son & Kane are different types of striker so playing Son instead of Kane means the team has to play differently (maybe even a different line up) to me that's not a problem but the players need to be coached to understand how to play

Kane would have closed the goalie down: Kane would have been on the spot, to make the tackle: Kane would have tracked back: Kane would have been right there to tap it in: Kane's header would have been on target: Kane would have RUN: Kane would have USED the ball when it came to him. I find myself thinking these things throughout every game. The list can go on and on.

We need an effective replacement for Kane when he's injured - a worker. Sadly, Llorente proves, time after time, that he is not that man. Most of the time he's a ball-watcher, a spectator. It's just not good enough to chest the ball down and to knock in the occasional goal. He is the 'nearly' man.

Back
Top Bottom