Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What exactly does he do in training every day then. Surely fit enough. He is simply rubbish at this or most levels of football.

Your level of football knowledge is outstanding.

In that it stands out as being very bad!!

Training and playing matches are so different that personally I would question if you have ever actually played the game at all.

Lamela was poor....Id still play him ahead of Llorente though
Other than the assist, I dont Eriksen was much better

Probably agree although Eriksen just moves the ball well and we need that, especially if Moura comes back.

That Winks was our saviour in such a key game shows up the more experienced players that were on the field.

This season's key word for us is obduracy.

We really are showing a side to us that has never been seen before.

But to avoid the season crumbling I do feel we do need a couple of additions before the 31st, in the hope that we are still in at least 3 competitions by then, if not all 4.

Yeah he was rather rusty, but as everyone has said Poch needs to stop playing Kane when we have matches won. 15-20 mins here and there not only keeps Llorente fresh it will help the team play with him in it better.
That the OG affected him so much though shows he does give a crap, which is good, we want players who care.
Really had hopes for him yesterday, but perhaps misplaced since he gets so few minutes, but if he can now have a decent run in the team I think he will show his worth.

He will definitely be better next game.
The odd thing is, that when we signed him, I genuinely thought he was that second quality striker & the best we could get that might not expect to start all the time. He has a very good career record and is hardly on his last legs as a pro.
He’s either not showing it in training, or Poch has a blind spot when it comes to Kane. The irony is, that whilst Kane is a goal machine & a world class talent, the odd 15-20 minutes rest, even maybe starting him on the bench, may help manage Kane’s ankle issues, whilst keeping Llorente sharp enough to put the ball in at the right end a few times a season. I really hope that game helped him shake off the ring rust and he is up and ready to terrorise the chavs on Thursday.
People are mixing up training sharpness with match sharpness. You can run practice drills all you want and play friendly five asides with the team but few things can substitute the sharpness created by locking horns with actual opposition players.

If Llorente got 15-10 minutes every other game whislt Kane was fit, he would be much more ready to deputise now.

Janssen, GKN and Llorente all struggled when they first were played in the first team and that is why they got little playing time after that. Had Llorente scored in a Premiership match as a sub when we first bought him then he would have played more but he did not look good then. I agree he should have come on more often when we had matches won but the problem with that is if the match is won, we play procession football to see the match out. Yes it will save Kane's legs but not do Llorente any good as he will not get any service.
As to the future, with Dele now injured he will have to play against Chelsea and Palace and hopefully has the fitness to play 3 games in a week.

Janssen, GKN and Llorente all struggled when they first were played in the first team and that is why they got little playing time after that. Had Llorente scored in a Premiership match as a sub when we first bought him then he would have played more but he did not look good then. I agree he should have come on more often when we had matches won but the problem with that is if the match is won, we play procession football to see the match out. Yes it will save Kane's legs but not do Llorente any good as he will not get any service.
As to the future, with Dele now injured he will have to play against Chelsea and Palace and hopefully has the fitness to play 3 games in a week.

Get the Chavs out the way and re-evaluate...

Sounds pointless expecting him to pay 270 mins in one week.... If anything he'll likely pull up with a hammy or similar too.

So long as we can muster the right bodies, i feel a striker-less system will work better against the bus parkers anyway.

As others have said match sharpness is lot higher level than match fit.
Rooney needed 3 games to get match sharp even though he was match fit.

Llorente obviously has limitations but I do believe that he can do a job for us.
I do agree that he needs a "runner" along side him, you only need to look at the Man Ure game to see how he can influence a game.
He took defenders out of the game and managed a few knock downs to Harry etc.
In todays game and the way we play, I don't think he will ever score lots of goals but can definitely do a job.
Lets face it, we need him at the moment.

Replacement or backup forward, who ever that is has to fit our style of play.
As someone else said a Rashford type who can play out wide (which in todays game) isn't really out wide as FBs give the width.

I'm not normally one to criticise Poch but I think he got his tactics wrong tonight.

He plays Llorente, but in the first half our FBs can't get forward and he is starved of the ball.
Lamela was hovering around him but there were no knockdowns and Lamela (luv him) was ineffectual.

The 2nd half was better, we went to a back 3, the FBs pushed up and Llorente got a goal.

He doesn't, as we all know, have the legs to play a pressing game and neither can he drop deep to affect the play.
The only way to get the best out of him is to put in crosses and we didn't do that enough.

Fair play to him.

Fair play to Poch as well who could have quite easily have taken him off - made that header look easy. A match winner. COYS

Back
Top Bottom