Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, Yes, You know that is true. I've seen many times where other players said "Poch Convinced me at the last moment"

I hope Poch stays for along time like SAF did for ManU. World Class Manager

If he stays he will become a better manager. At present he doesn't have enough quality to become a top class international coach, but with his continued development and learning experience at Spurs he will become one of the finest for his Country.

Yesterday evening was proof that he needs to ensure he does what's best for the team, even if that means tactical changes. I enjoyed that most from the game as it demonstrated something he has seldom shown for us so far.

Keep developing the squad, keep learning how to deal with certain characters in the squad and keep developing yourself. If you do you'll win is so many trophies and give Argentina a manager well equipped enough to win them a World Cup

If he stays he will become a better manager. At present he doesn't have enough quality to become a top class international coach, but with his continued development and learning experience at Spurs he will become one of the finest for his Country.

Yesterday evening was proof that he needs to ensure he does what's best for the team, even if that means tactical changes. I enjoyed that most from the game as it demonstrated something he has seldom shown for us so far.

Keep developing the squad, keep learning how to deal with certain characters in the squad and keep developing yourself. If you do you'll win is so many trophies and give Argentina a manager well equipped enough to win them a World Cup
I pray that he stays here another 15 years or so, thats my dream. International managers are usually older so he will be about 60 by then so prime time to have a stint with Argentina then go into retirement as a Tottenham Hotspur legend, having cemented himself as one of the all time greats by winning the World Cup with Argentina. Sending off Tottenham starlets Juan Foyth and Maurizio Pochettino with a World Cup Winner's medal.

Llorente: Conte, whom I admired since I was with him at Juventus, showed great interest in me since last January. With Tottenham everything was easier and faster. Pochettino called me on August 30 and I fell in love. I was filled with enthusiasm by his words and his sporting project - I thought I was going to Chelsea but Tottenham were more firm in their intention to sign me.[Marca]
:pochsmirk:

Llorente: Conte, whom I admired since I was with him at Juventus, showed great interest in me since last January. With Tottenham everything was easier and faster. Pochettino called me on August 30 and I fell in love. I was filled with enthusiasm by his words and his sporting project - I thought I was going to Chelsea but Tottenham were more firm in their intention to sign me.[Marca]
:pochsmirk:

By some accounts, Conte is very pissed off about missing out on the lovely Fernando.

Chelsea
Only an optimist or one of Nigel Pearson’s ostriches would have suggested that all was well at Chelsea even before defeat to Crystal Palace. Antonio Conte looks more and more likely to return to Italy next summer, a coach frustrated at missing out on his first-choice transfer targets.

In many ways, the failure to land Fernando Llorente was the final straw. It stopped Conte from playing with a different version of Plan A should Alvaro Morata be unavailable; instead he has to change his attacking system completely to incorporate Michy Batshuayi. Conte is understood to be fuming about Llorente joining Tottenham.

Many have been talking up Batshuayi’s abilities while he was out of the team, but on Saturday we saw why Conte might just know best. The Belgian was substituted after 57 minutes having barely laid a finger on a defence that has been conceding goals at will. He had just 19 touches of the ball, completed nine passes and failed to have a single shot or create a chance. It is far easier coming off the bench when defenders are tired.

The end result is that Chelsea are possibly out of the title race already. Conte engineered a magnificent run of form last season from a position of adversity, but that was a coach with the determination to fight for his relevance in English football. Conte seems a different man from this year to last.

“We mustn’t be happy,” Conte said after the Palace defeat. “This season will be very difficult for us. For this reason we have to put 150% in; 100% won’t be enough. I have players with a great will to work and fight. For sure we have to find the strength to overcome this moment. Everyone can see our situation.”

We can indeed. Chelsea added quantity to their squad over the summer, but Conte still has doubts as to whether it can sustain involvement in four competitions. Eden Hazard has been injured, Alvaro Morata has been injured, Victor Moses has been injured, Danny Drinkwater has been injured and N’Golo Kante has been injured. These are testing times at Stamford Bridge.

Like Manchester United last season, there is a growing feeling that Chelsea’s manager might prioritise European football over the Premier League if his side fall further behind. Is the wait for a successful Premier League title defence going to go on?

By some accounts, Conte is very pissed off about missing out on the lovely Fernando.

Chelsea
Only an optimist or one of Nigel Pearson’s ostriches would have suggested that all was well at Chelsea even before defeat to Crystal Palace. Antonio Conte looks more and more likely to return to Italy next summer, a coach frustrated at missing out on his first-choice transfer targets.

In many ways, the failure to land Fernando Llorente was the final straw. It stopped Conte from playing with a different version of Plan A should Alvaro Morata be unavailable; instead he has to change his attacking system completely to incorporate Michy Batshuayi. Conte is understood to be fuming about Llorente joining Tottenham.

Many have been talking up Batshuayi’s abilities while he was out of the team, but on Saturday we saw why Conte might just know best. The Belgian was substituted after 57 minutes having barely laid a finger on a defence that has been conceding goals at will. He had just 19 touches of the ball, completed nine passes and failed to have a single shot or create a chance. It is far easier coming off the bench when defenders are tired.

The end result is that Chelsea are possibly out of the title race already. Conte engineered a magnificent run of form last season from a position of adversity, but that was a coach with the determination to fight for his relevance in English football. Conte seems a different man from this year to last.

“We mustn’t be happy,” Conte said after the Palace defeat. “This season will be very difficult for us. For this reason we have to put 150% in; 100% won’t be enough. I have players with a great will to work and fight. For sure we have to find the strength to overcome this moment. Everyone can see our situation.”

We can indeed. Chelsea added quantity to their squad over the summer, but Conte still has doubts as to whether it can sustain involvement in four competitions. Eden Hazard has been injured, Alvaro Morata has been injured, Victor Moses has been injured, Danny Drinkwater has been injured and N’Golo Kante has been injured. These are testing times at Stamford Bridge.

Like Manchester United last season, there is a growing feeling that Chelsea’s manager might prioritise European football over the Premier League if his side fall further behind. Is the wait for a successful Premier League title defence going to go on?
IMO he was long gone before the window even got going. Chavs gave him more money on his contract but didn’t extend it, to me this is s sure sign of him going with a years salary in his back bin at the end of the season, same with Wenger (we did the same with Timmy on a lesser scale). It gives the club time to get someone else in, whilst insuring the bloke at the club is at least motivated with comp.

Chelsea

Beautiful on so many levels.
Conte “fuming” at “missing out” on Fabulous Fernando
Fernando being swayed by a project rather than Chav’s filthy blood money
Conte having to rely on Batshuayi- a player who went there for the cash over us, & clearly isn’t making the grade there

Fucking love Tuesday mornings.

This opens up so many opportunities in terms of tactics for Spurs. My only criticism of Poch has been the lack of a plan B when things don't go well when we play our usual way. And the switch over the weekend to a back four and now with 2 forwards, looks like Poch is fixing his weakness.

Despite the lack of pressing from him - he done what he was told and he SHOULD have had an assist. Was absolutely brilliant in the air and offered us something different. It helps that he's a damn good footballer too, though you'd expect that with him being Spanish.

There were quite a few questioning this signing but you just imagine that match with Janssen up front partnering Kane.

Last edited:
Pochettino on Llorente tonight. The older experienced exactly what we’ve missed...

Yes, this was the idea to give more freedom for Harry to establish this structure. He joined us on September 1. He has trained very hard and very well over the international break. Today was an important game to have his experience. He is a world champion and he has a great understanding with the rest of his team-mates. He had a great performance and we are happy. The way we competed was very good.

You can't beat class and experience .... he's not going to be a top 'pressing' striker, but his hold up play and lay-offs are top class .... as RM tired he just looked better and better ... on another day he would have had two assists to Kane and Eriksen .... worth double what we paid all day long

Back
Top Bottom