FA Cup 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What do people think about this, for me I'd perfer to win this, than finish in the top four. Glory over revenue anyday. We were built on cup sucess and that's how i'd like us to stay.

Anyway my team for the game on saturday would be something like

[formation=4-4-2 GK=FGomes D=Rose Dawson Bassong Corluka DM= M=Kranjar Carroll Livermore Pienaar AM= S=Pav Defoe]Bench to be Friedel, Lennon, Walker, BAE, Kaboul, Modric, Ex-Aresnal fella.[/formation]

What say's you?

I can see that formation being used. Personally I think we should be looking to win this AND finish in the top 2/3. Forget the top 4, we're better than 4th and we've definitely got the goods to win the FA Cup.

However, we've been fortunate with the draw and should be able to rest most if not all of our normal starting 11. Gives Dawson a chance to get some match practice although I'm not sure he's actually ready yet plus will give some players the chance to put themselves in the shop window for permanent moves or loans.

I feel a bit bad that I don't really give a shit about this game, probably because Everton is around the corner.

Thelonious Filth said:
I feel a bit bad that I don't really give a shit about this game, probably because Everton is around the corner.

Wouldn't say I don't give a shit but definitely got an eye on the Everton game, even accepted an offer to be in a box

that team might beat cheltenham, but wouldnt beat many epl teams, i wouldnt bother with pav anymore, he's just not interested and needs to be gone, rather give one of the kids a shot and see a player actually trying than that vodka soaked plum.
it is a sad day indeed when the FA cup isnt really that important, well done the FA for fucking up the worlds greatest cup competition. give the winners a champions league place, its all about champions league money these days anyway, so why not. last year, city won their first trophy since the introduction of corner flags, and the manc utd overshadowed it by winning the league on the same day.

Yeah I know what you mean, I think it's the same as with some of the Europa League games, where even though you'd want a win, it was hard to get too excited cos you knew the game wasn't likely to be anything special. I'm more looking forward to it cos it's my first time back at the Lane for a long time.

think the team will be
Gomes, Corluka, Dawson, Bassong, Rose, Lennon, Livermore, Kranjcar, Pienaar, Pav, Defoe
think Carroll, Falque & GDS may get bench

agree with NO1JIB - winner should get CL place - that will put interest back in the comp

Whilst I quite like the idea of the FA Cup winner getting a champions league spot, can you imagine how angry we would be if we finished 4th in the year this rule changed? Also if in a couple of years a lower team wins the FA Cup and absolutely tanks in the champions league we will lose that 4th spot all together. That's why it'll never happen

It will never change to the FA cup becoming a way into the CL, no clubs would vote for it and I can't see UEFA sanctioning it either.

A possible 6 games (four at home, two at a neutral venue) in which you could possibly not play another Premiership side to win a CL place.
Due to that possible situation it is never going to happen, what with warm balls and all that conspiracy malarkey you can throw into the mix as well.

As for the idea of winning this above finishing top 4, no way. We did that with the CC and then watched our best player leave.
At the moment we need to cement ourselves as a realistic Top 4 team and league contenders. What would be the point of winning the FA Cup and then watching Modric, Bale, Adebayor and countless others walk away for CL football.

Run in to the end of this season I just want us to be concentrating on winning the league or at worst finishing 3rd. At this point in time anything less would be seen as failure IMO.

I just don't think that our great tradition of cup success has got us anywhere during the EPL years. I have bought tickets to all cup games this year, including 7 for the game on Saturday, and judging by attendances to date most people have been voting with their feet when it comes to our cup games.

Top 4 is where it's at. Welcome to 2012.

i couldn't give two fucks about this game tbh, i dunno, fa cup is wank now....

shame really cos it's getting like the league cup now in terms of importance. i believe if they did scrap the league cup and have one domestic competition instead of two then it may resusitate the fa cup.

don't see it happening anytime soon though, all about the cash monies for the fa

It's cheap, I get 5 loyalty points and watching Spurs is one hell of a drug. Putting that to a side, it's hard to get excited until we get to the latter stages.

SpursUltra said:
It will never change to the FA cup becoming a way into the CL, no clubs would vote for it and I can't see UEFA sanctioning it either.

A possible 6 games (four at home, two at a neutral venue) in which you could possibly not play another Premiership side to win a CL place.
Due to that possible situation it is never going to happen, what with warm balls and all that conspiracy malarkey you can throw into the mix as well.

As for the idea of winning this above finishing top 4, no way. We did that with the CC and then watched our best player leave.
At the moment we need to cement ourselves as a realistic Top 4 team and league contenders. What would be the point of winning the FA Cup and then watching Modric, Bale, Adebayor and countless others walk away for CL football.

Run in to the end of this season I just want us to be concentrating on winning the league or at worst finishing 3rd. At this point in time anything less would be seen as failure IMO.

I just don't think that our great tradition of cup success has got us anywhere during the EPL years. I have bought tickets to all cup games this year, including 7 for the game on Saturday, and judging by attendances to date most people have been voting with their feet when it comes to our cup games.

Top 4 is where it's at. Welcome to 2012.

Erm, the Cheltenham game seems to be sold out.

I dont think any club in the premier league would fill their stadium if they knew they were going to field a 2nd/3rd string team against Cheltenham Town and have to pay £30 a ticket.

Back
Top Bottom