FA CUP 2017/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First season Scotty P was great with Modric. Second season under AVB he turned into that slow 360’ing oil tanker.

I catagorically blame that div AVB playing him b2b while leaving a younger, more mobile player to sit. Scotty was smart enough to counter his own lack of pace from a deeper position but just didn't have the legs to get about as much as the revised role demanded.

Last edited:
Phew..I thought i was losing it then.
I remember we had the big new stand at Leeds and had a 1000 more than Everton there.
But it didn't feel like it with them having 3 parts of the ground.
We sat in the row second from the top, one of my mates suffered from vertigo, so he wasn't too happy. Took ages getting him out at the end. You're right though did seem that there were more scousers than us. Horrible day.

Because Wembley holds 90,000 ... Villa Park holds 43,000 ... the FA gets a huge chunk of revenue from a game at Wembley, it gets almost nothing from a game at Villa Park ... all the FA people that matter are based in London that makes travel real easy ...

So Money and Convenience that's why .....
To be fair though Wembley does/should mean more fans get to see the game too - obviously the number of tickets going to corporates, Club Wembley etc is too high but we'd only be looking at a 15-18k allocation at Villa Park. Probably worked better before the all-seater days when capacities were generally higher.

We played the 81 semi replay at highbury
But in those days... LIVERPOOL were our rivals!! ArseAnal were a mid-table irrelevance!
W Spurs 4-0 West Brom. Villa Park 1901
W Spurs 2-1 PNE. Hillsborough 1921
L PNE 2-1 Spurs. Hillsborough 1922
L Blackpool 3-1 Spurs. Villa Park 1948
L Blackpool 2-1 Spurs. Villa Park 1953
L Man City 1-0 Spurs. Villa Park 1956
W Spurs 3-0 Burnley. Villa Park 1961
W Spurs 3-1 Man United. Hillsborough 1962
W Spurs 2-1 Notts Forest. Hillsborough 1967
W Spurs 2-0 Leicester City. Villa Park 1982
W Spurs 4-1 Watford. Villa Park 1987
W Spurs 3-1 Woolwich. Wembley 1991
L Asrenal 1-0 Spurs. Wembley 1993
L Everton 4-1 Spurs. Wembley 1995
L Newcastle 2-0 Spurs. Wembley 1999
L Woolwich 2-1 Spurs. Old Trafford 2001
L Portsmouth 2-0 Spurs. Wembley 2010
L Chelsea 5-1 Spurs. Wembley 2012
L Chelsea 4-2 Spurs. Wembley 2017

19 semi finals played
8 drawn as the "home" team - 8 wins
11 drawn as the "away" team - 11 losses

EDIT: Ignore the home away bollocks as alexwooty alexwooty pointed out they've listed the winner 1st, I'm off back to bed. Fucking Mondays
If I'm not mistaken, I think they've just put the winning TEAM first... there are NO 'AWAY' (eg: 0-2/1-2/1-3) winning scorelines...
It's not that the 'team drawn at home' always wins... it's just the way they've laid out the scoreline.
Plus, the '99 Semi was at OT as well... not Wembley! (It was also the game that the "CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU" flag first made an appearance...)
So whoever compiled that list don't know their 'istory!

So, there may be other reasons to fear the worst... but this ain't one of them!

But in those days... LIVERPOOL were our rivals!! ArseAnal were a mid-table irrelevance!

If I'm not mistaken, I think they've just put the winning TEAM first... there are NO 'AWAY' (eg: 0-2/1-2/1-3) winning scorelines...
It's not that the 'team drawn at home' always wins... it's just the way they've laid out the scoreline.
Plus, the '99 Semi was at OT as well... not Wembley! (It was also the game that the "CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU" flag first made an appearance...)
So whoever compiled that list don't know their 'istory!

So, there may be other reasons to fear the worst... but this ain't one of them!
Tell that to the Herd who came especially to throw bricks into the north bank which was packed with our boys.

I have no problem with semis being moved out to other stadiums (actually prefer it) but you can’t change mid season, everyone new the rules and we had our reliance on them. Any change should be next season onward. Though the number of stadiums fit to host it changed dramatically. VP, ER, Hills are all unsuitable now. Only the library, OT, NWHL, and anfield might fit nowadays

Tell that to the Herd who came especially to throw bricks into the north bank which was packed with our boys.

I have no problem with semis being moved out to other stadiums (actually prefer it) but you can’t change mid season, everyone new the rules and we had our reliance on them. Any change should be next season onward. Though the number of stadiums fit to host it changed dramatically. VP, ER, Hills are all unsuitable now. Only the library, OT, NWHL, and anfield might fit nowadays
Which means if they do change the rules the inevitable semi-finalists next season would be Woolwich, Man United, Tottenham and Liverpool :p

Although I would say you could add the Millenium Stadium and the Etihad to that list. Possibly St. James too which is good for capacity albeit not normally suitable for travel. And occasionally smaller grounds if a team makes the semis who won't bring so many fans e.g. if Wigan had won yesterday, you could probably have used Villa Park since they'd only take 10k or something.

Which means if they do change the rules the inevitable semi-finalists next season would be Woolwich, Man United, Tottenham and Liverpool :p

Although I would say you could add the Millenium Stadium and the Etihad to that list. Possibly St. James too which is good for capacity albeit not normally suitable for travel. And occasionally smaller grounds if a team makes the semis who won't bring so many fans e.g. if Wigan had won yesterday, you could probably have used Villa Park since they'd only take 10k or something.
I think they had one once in Coventry’s old ground which was tiny

Confident we can turn United over but still got that horrible Spurs feeling that we will get chelsea in the final and mess it all up. I despise Chelsea, but they always turn up against us and always turn us over when it matters.
I agree also, but thinking back to a couple of years ago when Chelski outplayed us through their subs, we're the one with the deep bench now.

Hang on... are they actually moving the Semi AWAY from Wembley now...?
Or is it some rumour concocted by a bitter Gooner Internet Warrior with WiFi and a hardon?

**Long post alert**

Just went looking though all our semi finals we've played and saw a real random coincidence

W Spurs 4-0 West Brom. Villa Park 1901
W Spurs 2-1 PNE. Hillsborough 1921
L PNE 2-1 Spurs. Hillsborough 1922
L Blackpool 3-1 Spurs. Villa Park 1948
L Blackpool 2-1 Spurs. Villa Park 1953
L Man City 1-0 Spurs. Villa Park 1956
W Spurs 3-0 Burnley. Villa Park 1961
W Spurs 3-1 Man United. Hillsborough 1962
W Spurs 2-1 Notts Forest. Hillsborough 1967
W Spurs 2-0 Leicester City. Villa Park 1982
W Spurs 4-1 Watford. Villa Park 1987
W Spurs 3-1 Woolwich. Wembley 1991
L Asrenal 1-0 Spurs. Wembley 1993
L Everton 4-1 Spurs. Wembley 1995
L Newcastle 2-0 Spurs. Wembley 1999
L Woolwich 2-1 Spurs. Old Trafford 2001
L Portsmouth 2-0 Spurs. Wembley 2010
L Chelsea 5-1 Spurs. Wembley 2012
L Chelsea 4-2 Spurs. Wembley 2017

19 semi finals played
8 drawn as the "home" team - 8 wins
11 drawn as the "away" team - 11 losses

EDIT: Ignore the home away bollocks as alexwooty alexwooty pointed out they've listed the winner 1st, I'm off back to bed. Fucking Mondays

Think this list is missing the small matter of the glorius '81 replay at Highbury!

DYq9zc5XcAA4r5n.jpg:large

laurel-and-hardy-laugh-in-o.gif

I don't know why I've just done this to myself...I thought it'd be a good idea to watch the highlights of all our recent cup matches at Wembley, going back to United in 2009, Portsmouth in 2010, Chelsea 2015, 2017 etc

My logic being, after watching those games I'd feel as if Spurs are owed one from the footballing gods to finally get something out of a big game there - but I just feel worse...

:pochrolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom