Everton away - 3/11/19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remember when Everton v Spurs was 2 good teams, exciting football and both teams going for the win.

Aside from the VAR nonsense, and the injury to Gomes, it was a wretched spectacle.

The ref only confounded things with the sending off of Son.

Good luck for the rest of the season .

It's a bit lost in the shuffle but how on Earth did we not get a pen for Son getting rolled on? Yes he made more of it but that doesn't negate the actual activity that was penalty worthy.

Same reason we didn’t get one when Harry was rugby tackled against Newcastle

No consistency

oswald-mosley.jpg

Everton identify the rat responsible for racially abusing Son.

It wasn't a dive either... The guy fell on Son's ankle.... Sometimes you have to roll with such a thing to avoid injury.

It should have been a pen.

The guy fell on his ankle; yes - but the reason he didn't get the penalty was the ridiculous simulation of throwing himself along the floor and kicking his legs out.

He foul should have simply caused one leg to fall and him to stumble.

This simulation crap is ruining the game and now we see Kane more focused on winning fouls than creating scoring chances. We see with players like Neymar and Sterling that this behaviour is being rewarded and thus players now are making it part of their game.

Excessive simulation needs to be punished; but of course these things can be subject to debate; but for me 'obvious' dives should be a yellow card offense - and complete frauds should get a straight RED subject to VAR review showing it as blatent simulation.

Indecently I will bang on about Dier until my dying breath, he is NOT Iniesta BUT he is one of the reasons why we never let in so many goals two years ago when playing regularly. He drops in between the centre backs when we haven't got the ball and makes it bloody hard to score against, Sissoko does not do this ( I except his strenght's are elsewhere)but its what we need at the moment. Dier and Ndombele seem like a partnership made for each other if only Poch would give it a go.

Dier thinks like a defender based on his previous with us in that area. Surely bringing him on after we went down to 10 men when it was clear we'd be sitting back would have been a smart sub to make instead of making one in the 111th minute wouldn't it? Everton stuck two target men on, we could have done with another defensive body for sure and Dier should have got game time.

Indecently I will bang on about Dier until my dying breath, he is NOT Iniesta BUT he is one of the reasons why we never let in so many goals two years ago when playing regularly. He drops in between the centre backs when we haven't got the ball and makes it bloody hard to score against, Sissoko does not do this ( I except his strenght's are elsewhere)but its what we need at the moment. Dier and Ndombele seem like a partnership made for each other if only Poch would give it a go.
Given how often we've seen him since that season, there are times one might think he's died. Alli doesn't even seem to post about him anymore. Lad has become a ghost.

I follow us home and away, have done for years, but I really feel like knocking the away games on the head right now. 2 weeks running giving up a whole Sunday to go to Liverpool, watch us play shit, listen to the fans screaming abuse at the players and go into work knackered on Monday is just no fun anymore.

We watched Sissoko closely yesterday as he divides opinion so much. He's quick, athletic, has a great engine and is tall and strong. But he's a massive part of the problem and it's too glaring now to ignore it.

He clearly tries hard but for what we want to be it isn't enough for a midfielder of a top 4 team. He's loath to take the ball off of the back 4 because he's not comfortable on it so he takes up positions where he won't receive it, usually next to an opposition player. Not always but a lot of the time. His passing is pretty rudimentary and not incisive. He doesn't score, rarely assists and isn't in the box when we have corners or free kicks (why not? He's 6 2). He doesn't close or hassle people much and is such a massive downgrade on prime Wanyama (who could do everything described above) that it's beyond belief that Poch hasn't addressed it as an issue. It's killing us week in and week out because our midfield is woeful. It's weak, technically lacking, destroyer lacking and a massive downgrade on where we were 2 plus years ago.

Ndom is good technically but he's not a 90 minute player currently, isn't a destroyer and really needs one there if he's gonna show his best and do his thing. He gets time clearly, same for Lo Celso.

Winks is neat and tidy, wants the ball and gives it his all but he's not a 6 either. Yesterday would've suited him better as we would've had more ball and the lad's not shy of it like Moussa but he can leave us vulnerable defensively.

Of our current crop the only obvious answers are to:
A) play a crocked Wanyama
B) play Dier (he's ultimately a centre half but he did it before and is better than Sissoko)
C) stick skipp in
D) teach winks how to play that role

We can't continue to ignore this issue. On top of that we have the want aways/last year of contract players, all of whom are nowhere near their best anymore. Eriksen, Rose, Toby, Jan are all playing below par and it's hurting us. Aurier isn't worse but he's not good enough and never was. Combine all this and we're an average to poor prem side. Poch has to make a decision on whether they play or they don't, it should've been made already. How many more chances do they get?

Lucas was bloody awful Sunday, I get he's in and out of the team and he's not a striker but what excuse has he got for not being able to control a football? His first touch is piss poor.

We've got so many problems currently, we struggle for results and we're struggling for confidence now too. This is gonna be a long and painful season.

I follow us home and away, have done for years, but I really feel like knocking the away games on the head right now. 2 weeks running giving up a whole Sunday to go to Liverpool, watch us play shit, listen to the fans screaming abuse at the players and go into work knackered on Monday is just no fun anymore.

We watched Sissoko closely yesterday as he divides opinion so much. He's quick, athletic, has a great engine and is tall and strong. But he's a massive part of the problem and it's too glaring now to ignore it.

He clearly tries hard but for what we want to be it isn't enough for a midfielder of a top 4 team. He's loath to take the ball off of the back 4 because he's not comfortable on it so he takes up positions where he won't receive it, usually next to an opposition player. Not always but a lot of the time. His passing is pretty rudimentary and not incisive. He doesn't score, rarely assists and isn't in the box when we have corners or free kicks (why not? He's 6 2). He doesn't close or hassle people much and is such a massive downgrade on prime Wanyama (who could do everything described above) that it's beyond belief that Poch hasn't addressed it as an issue. It's killing us week in and week out because our midfield is woeful. It's weak, technically lacking, destroyer lacking and a massive downgrade on where we were 2 plus years ago.

Ndom is good technically but he's not a 90 minute player currently, isn't a destroyer and really needs one there if he's gonna show his best and do his thing. He gets time clearly, same for Lo Celso.

Winks is neat and tidy, wants the ball and gives it his all but he's not a 6 either. Yesterday would've suited him better as we would've had more ball and the lad's not shy of it like Moussa but he can leave us vulnerable defensively.

B) play Dier (he's ultimately a centre half but he did it before and is better than Sissoko)
C) stick skipp in

We can't continue to ignore this issue. On top of that we have the want aways/last year of contract players, all of whom are nowhere near their best anymore. Eriksen, Rose, Toby, Jan are all playing below par and it's hurting us. Aurier isn't worse but he's not good enough and never was. Combine all this and we're an average to poor prem side. Poch has to make a decision on whether they play or they don't, it should've been made already. How many more chances do they get?

Lucas was bloody awful Sunday, I get he's in and out of the team and he's not a striker but what excuse has he got for not being able to control a football? His first touch is piss poor.

We've got so many problems currently, we struggle for results and we're struggling for confidence now too. This is gonna be a long and painful season.

Ding Dong.

Us in a very erudite and accurate nutshell.

C) stick skipp in

Fuck me I thought I’d blocked BC.

That's not how it was.

Firstly, Atkinson went to Son and showed him the yellow card for the tackle (correct decision). He then went over to the prostrate Gomes, saw the injury, turned and walked back to Son (who was absolutely distraught by now) and got the red card out of his pocket.

He assumed, incorrectly, that Son had caused the injury.

VAR should have corrected him, because it was a clear and obvious error by Atkinson. VAR is shit.
I don't agree based on what I've seen and heard since.

MA issued the yellow at first - we agree on that. But when assessing the injury it was VAR that told MA to issue red, not the other way around.

Listen, this is emotive and my opinion is based solely on what I hear and read so of course they will be disparities and to be fair I don't have a problem with the red as long as it it rescinded but of what would have happened after if "only" a yellow was shown,

Given how often we've seen him since that season, there are times one might think he's died. Alli doesn't even seem to post about him anymore. Lad has become a ghost.
Other than the illnesses that has blighted him, anyone know any other reasons?
Know hes always had his detractors but I, for one, miss him. Wanyama too.
Steve73, agree with you heartily.

I don't agree based on what I've seen and heard since.

MA issued the yellow at first - we agree on that. But when assessing the injury it was VAR that told MA to issue red, not the other way around.

Listen, this is emotive and my opinion is based solely on what I hear and read so of course they will be disparities and to be fair I don't have a problem with the red as long as it it rescinded but of what would have happened after if "only" a yellow was shown,

What are you basing this on?

An EPL statement has already been issued to the contrary (see Son thread) and all subsequent debate in the media is operating on the basis that it was MA's decision alone.

Back
Top Bottom