Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could it be possible that Jose wants Dier to play that way? It seems like most of the time he passes back to the CDs and / or FBs, our guys play the long ball or pass it quickly up the wings. Almost seems like he is drawing defenders in so our guys can pass into the open spaces. I could be trying too hard to make sense out of this, but I can’t imagine José would keep on throwing him out there if he kept doing the wrong things or making glaring mistakes.

Genius. This could rival the introduction of 4-2-4 or 'Total Football'

Always, play the ball backwards towards your own goalkeeper. Each pass must be less than 10m. Who needs Cruyff, Pele, Maradona or Kane?

Merry Christmas one and all.

Can we all be friends until at least 11.30 tomorrow morning when the team in announced (Dier/Sissoko/Aurier et al.)?

Why does he keep starting him, then?

Aaand... I could ask in turn- why he does keep subbing him off early.
Perfect circkle or what?!

I think the answer is - because there is no better alternative right now. He is not doing enough and not fulfilling the tasks, but Jose seems to think there is no one else who could do it better either.

This at least gives me hope that in the 1st of Jan we'll dive deep into the market and get ourselves a decent DM to be used instead of Dier.

The appendix operation ( or something following that) from over a year ago seems to have had a big effect on his imune system or similar - seems to have picked up a number of debilitating bugs and illnesses making him drop out of first team contention.

Any thoughts from the medics - maybe Spaniel Spaniel

Anyone got any ideas about what we are going to do with our Eric?

only a few years back he was the pick ( just above ‘hendo’) for the England DM ... whilst all the the time Poch claiming he would eventually mature into a top class CB as he thought it his best position.

he could play RB as he had some decent mobility and not too bad a turn of speed

but this version of himself is baffling. It’s like he’s 36 and rolling out for spam

he moves in slow motion and can’t move the ball anywhere other than behind him and his previous singular gift to the opposition in terms of a misplaced pass is now a comfortable plural.

to regress this far at such a young age is hard to figure . He doesn’t even seem to have that tough tackle in him any longer .... possibly because he’s arriving no where close to execute it !

can he be given coaching and a run at the back ? Or is he done !!??

he should be approaching his peak years instead of looking shot

Should be working his arse off in training trying to convince Jose that he's still a centreback and is willing to complete with Dave / Toby / JT / Foyth (presuming JV is gone)

The only reason he plays in DM now is because it was born out of necessity at the time (he was bloody good when he started there to be fair to him)

Last edited:
Should be working his arse off in training trying to convince Jose that he's still a centreback and is willing to complete with Dave / Toby / JT / Foyth (presuming JV is gone)

The only reason he plays in DM at the moment is because it was born out of necessity at the time (he was bloody good when he started there to be fair to him)
Yeah what’s happened.

only a few years back he was the pick ( just above ‘hendo’) for the England DM ... whilst all the the time Poch claiming he would eventually mature into a top class CB as he thought it his best position.

but this version of himself is baffling. It’s like he’s 36 and rolling out for spam

he moves in slow motion and can’t move the ball anywhere other than behind him and his previous singular gift to the opposition in terms of a misplaced pass is now a comfortable plural.

to regress this far at such a young age is hard to figure . He doesn’t even seem to have that tough tackle in him any longer .... possibly because he’s arriving no where close to execute it !

People talk about Dele underperforming but he’s nothing compared to what’s happened to Dier.

Just shocking.

Eric Marvelous Dier
20 appearances for Spurs this season. Only lost 3 times..
Spurs unbeaten in his last 7 appearances.
Bit generous when you consider he was brought off against Olympiakos at 2-0 down and we then went on to win 3-2 without him

Bit generous when you consider he was brought off against Olympiakos at 2-0 down and we then went on to win 3-2 without him
That game wasn't in the last 7 games unbeaten we have played with Eric.
Remove that game and it is 19 apps and lost 3 times.
Why are some fans so keen to run down a player rather than praise him?
It's the same with Dele and Lucas and Son.
All these guys have contributed greatly.

That game wasn't in the last 7 games unbeaten we have played with Eric.
Remove that game and it is 19 apps and lost 3 times.
Why are some fans so keen to run down a player rather than praise him?
It's the same with Dele and Lucas and Son.
All these guys have contributed greatly.
Fair enough, but I just don't think he's good enough. I would say if I thought he was and am not one to just put players down for the sake of it but he is a shadow of his former self. I don't think he is even good enough to be a squad player for us anymore, let alone start.

Dunno, baffling. What injuries has he had?

Dunno, baffling. What injuries has he had?

Not sure if that is a rhetorical question but his path back from the appendix surgery was marred with issues.

To me he just looks bigger. Let's have a look shall we...

2016 Eric

london-uk-2nd-nov-2016-eric-dier-tottenham-footballsoccer-eric-dier-H7BB7A.jpg

2020 Eric

TELEMMGLPICT000219878389_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqQND5f8Baj_ohaXY2gUOFsLyr0pdDTKu0Y3L6tEDiUUo.jpeg

Time to put down the weights and join Ndombele on the treadmill.

Back
Top Bottom