Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Without getting into the whole Trippier/Walker debate, your argument about us not putting in highly dominant performances is self defeating, because Dier has been involved in most of those games too, so has at least a 50/50 chance of proving my argument than yours.

But if we really analyse it, we see that even with Walker, and Dier in CM, we finish 3rd in 15/16. With Walker and then Trippier (and by the way, our results were even better with Trippier that season - though a smaller sample obviously) but Wanyama in midfield we finish 2nd (16/17) and put in the the most consistent performances of Poch's reign.

Lose Wanyama and Dier comes back into midfield (now with Trippier) we go back to 3rd. Same as the season with Dier/Walker. The common denominator is Dier.

I have no bias toward Trippier. I'm saying exactly the same about Trippier as I am Dier in some respects, that I'd rather see an academy kid play than him. I'm not claiming he's something he isn't or are hard to qualify. You do this with both Trippier and Dier. All I've done with Trippier is debunk some of the bullshit claims by you and others. You blame Trippier for things that clearly aren't his fault. Like other teams exploiting the fact that we play with a high line and FB's pushed into attack.

I don't think Trippier is a great defender, (I also think he's had a particularly poor month and have been calling for KWP to start games) I've always accepted that he has flaws. But he does produce creatively. And I look around and see the paucity of genuine quality RB's - especially ones that can play our system and be defensively great too - and think how easy will it be to upgrade. Aurier's proven not to be the answer. Even Walker was dropped for 3 games recently because Guardiola got pissed off with his brainfarts. That's not bias, that's balance.

I'll happily see us upgrade Trippier, and have asked people who they would upgrade him with, but there's very few suggestions of PROVEN top quality out there that would be easy to obtain. Chelsea won the league with Moses as a RB. Leicester with fucking Simpson. ManC with Delph as a LB. There really aren't a plethora of quality FB's out there.

I repeat, I would prefer to see KWP given a run of games than see Trippier right now.

But I would also rather see Skipp or even Marsh out there than Dier, who's offers nothing I wouldn't happily sacrifice for some fucking dynamism and courage to get on the ball under pressure.
"Without getting into the whole Trippier/Walker debate"......................goes on to talk about Tripper and Walker.

For the record you HAVEN'T debunked what I say about Trippier being targeted by the oppo, he is EVERY game without fail. You can throw whatever ever poxy numbers at me you like, you proved absolutely fuck all mate, but you still claim that teams don't see him as our weakest link, whilst weak after week Frodo is run absolutely ragged.

You have completely changed your tune on him, probably taken until this calamitous season for you to concede that KWP would be a better bet (not necessarily better every game but well worth investing in a player who is more technically proficient in his correct position for him to develop faster). I've called for KWP from day one with you disagreeing with this on a number of occasions.

Anyway, Dier. He's more than OK, he has limitations but we can and should be looking for a CM/DM with some legs/fizz/dynamism who can beat an oppo press, carry the ball and move the ball decisively it could be a Modric/Racatic/Demirbay style player or an N'Dombele/Bennasser/Hofmann type (I would have loved to have brought in Rabiot who is also a very, very unique player offers so much going forward but defensively not so much, but could have been a great partnership with Dier if looking at a double pivot).

"Without getting into the whole Trippier/Walker debate"......................goes on to talk about Tripper and Walker.

For the record you HAVEN'T debunked what I say about Trippier being targeted by the oppo, he is EVERY game without fail. You can throw whatever ever poxy numbers at me you like, you proved absolutely fuck all mate, but you still claim that teams don't see him as our weakest link, whilst weak after week Frodo is run absolutely ragged.

You have completely changed your tune on him, probably taken until this calamitous season for you to concede that KWP would be a better bet (not necessarily better every game but well worth investing in a player who is more technically proficient in his correct position for him to develop faster). I've called for KWP from day one with you disagreeing with this on a number of occasions.

Anyway, Dier. He's more than OK, he has limitations but we can and should be looking for a CM/DM with some legs/fizz/dynamism who can beat an oppo press, carry the ball and move the ball decisively it could be a Modric/Racatic/Demirbay style player or an N'Dombele/Bennasser/Hofmann type (I would have loved to have brought in Rabiot who is also a very, very unique player offers so much going forward but defensively not so much, but could have been a great partnership with Dier if looking at a double pivot).

That's utter bollocks. Please find one post where I have disagreed with the notion of KWP getting game time.

I think people like Spursidol Spursidol (who go back further than I have been on here) will vouch for the fact that Ive always wanted KWP to get games, and not just recently but three years ago. I would like to have seen him be our first choice by now and think Poch has wasted him. I've had people taking the piss out of me for consistently putting him in my "team" when suggesting teams in match threads.

I haven't changed my tune about Trippier at all. Always acknowledged he's got deficiencies. Always said it's about balancing compromises offensive and defensive.

I proved to you that we concede more down our left than right. Paul Pogba spoke about how teams Target our tactics of pushing fb's up the pitch. They target those channels. They scored in Rose's channel by doing exactly that (and yes I know Trippier gave the ball away, but that's not the point - they had Rashford working that channel for a reason - we push our FB's up). Blame Trippier for his mistakes, but to blame him because we play a certain way is bogus. To blame him when Messi plays a great pass is bogus etc etc

That's utter bollocks. Please find one post where I have disagreed with the notion of KWP getting game time.

I think people like Spursidol Spursidol (who go back further than I have been on here) will vouch for the fact that Ive always wanted KWP to get games, and not just recently but three years ago. I would like to have seen him be our first choice by now and think Poch has wasted him. I've had people taking the piss out of me for consistently putting him in my "team" when suggesting teams in match threads.

I haven't changed my tune about Trippier at all. Always acknowledged he's got deficiencies. Always said it's about balancing compromises offensive and defensive.

I proved to you that we concede more down our left than right. Paul Pogba spoke about how teams Target our tactics of pushing fb's up the pitch. They target those channels. They scored in Rose's channel by doing exactly that (and yes I know Trippier gave the ball away, but that's not the point - they had Rashford working that channel for a reason - we push our FB's up). Blame Trippier for his mistakes, but to blame him because we play a certain way is bogus. To blame him when Messi plays a great pass is bogus etc etc
The space behind our FB's will always be targeted because we push high BUT when Rose (fit) and Walker pushed up high they can still get back and defend!!!! They have the fitness/athleticism/speed to be able to contribute to the defensive shape when this happens. THIS IS THE POINT! Tripps is out the game, he doesn't cover the player pulled out to defend that channel, there are gaping holes as a result, our defensive/midfield is out of shape, we concede more chances as a direct result of this.

In addition, both Rose and Walker would dominate the oppo far better, when we had the ball, keeping the ball and pinning the oppo FB's back, greater variety in our build-up play. Tripps hoofs the fucking thing into the box conceding possession 95% of the time, resulting in the possibility of the oppo to then target that space behind again and again and again.

Finally both Walker and Rose could keep this up all game, they would literally wear out their opposing number, by midway through the second half there was very little threat from the majority of the teams we would face.
giphy.gif

The space behind our FB's will always be targeted because we push high BUT when Rose (fit) and Walker pushed up high they can still get back and defend
!!!! They have the fitness/athleticism/speed to be able to contribute to the defensive shape when this happens. THIS IS THE POINT! Tripps is out the game, he doesn't cover the player pulled out to defend that channel, there are gaping holes as a result, our defensive/midfield is out of shape, we concede more chances as a direct result of this.

In addition, both Rose and Walker would dominate the oppo far better, when we had the ball, keeping the ball and pinning the oppo FB's back, greater variety in our build-up play. Tripps hoofs the fucking thing into the box conceding possession 95% of the time, resulting in the possibility of the oppo to then target that space behind again and again and again.

Finally both Walker and Rose could keep this up all game, they would literally wear out their opposing number, by midway through the second half there was very little threat from the majority of the teams we would face.
giphy.gif

You mean like Rose got back and prevented Rashford from scoring? Or like when Walker got caught up the pitch against West Ham on his last game for us.

Rose also gives the ball away more than Trippier, despite creating much less.

No FB can run 50m in 1.3 seconds.

See, this is the silly hypocritical bollocks I’m talking about.

And you were praising Dier for being “versatile” and being able to play RB, if you think Trippier’s engine is a problem, fuck knows how you’d rate Dier as a RB? He’s nearly as slow as Corluka.

You mean like Rose got back and prevented Rashford from scoring? Or like when Walker got caught up the pitch against West Ham on his last game for us.

Rose also gives the ball away more than Trippier, despite creating much less.

No FB can run 50m in 1.3 seconds.

See, this is the silly hypocritical bollocks I’m talking about.

And you were praising Dier for being “versatile” and being able to play RB, if you think Trippier’s engine is a problem, fuck knows how you’d rate Dier as a RB? He’s nearly as slow as Corluka.
I don't rate Dier as an RB but I'd probably have him there over Frodo.

Fucking hell mate, please stop. If you think our FB's TODAY are better than they were when Rose and Walker were in the side then there is absolutely no further discussion, you need to book yourself into an asylum pronto.

Amazing... HAD we won the NLD with Dier's goal helping us on the way, he'd have Saint-like status by now....

Likewise his stock as an England player rose immeasurably after his penalty won us the WC tie vs. Columbia...
...yet now he seems to have plummeted back to the level of England midfielders on a par with Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer... how the FUCK was that allowed to happen?

Yet it did.... and we're partly to blame!

Eric Dier had his footballing education in Portugal, not Peterborough... he's NOT a lumbering '80s midfield clogger throwback... he's cultured, and understands football...
yet we, the 'all knowing' British football public are SO quick to judge, and so quick to ridicule... just 'cos he's built like a tank, he doesn't have to play like one too...

Remember his debut vs. West Ham... remember his calm, cool ASSURED finish In the 92nd minute....?
And that was when he was a CENTRE BACK!

Cut the guy some fucking slack... he could (and probably should) be our future Captain.

To quote Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman :
"I love Eric Dier... Eric Dier loves meeeee!"

Last edited:
Against:
He doesn't have a sprint in him, this is missed when tracking a runner (counter to this by way of an example was Dembele, very good pace at tracking a runner and showing them away from goal, holding up an oppo attack so the defence can gain shape.)

His biggest weakness is he can be pressed into a mistake. This is possible because he can't dribble past the presser (not many DM's can) and he can be pressed into a poor decission.

He has a habit of a lazy pass at least once every game. I'm not talking about a misplaced pass or even a pass that is caused via being put under pressure BUT a pass that's missed when he's NOT under any pressure, the impact of these is that because there is no pressure on him other players are taking up more positive positions e.g. FB's pushed up very high, the team are confident to be brave. So, when that pass goes straight to the oppo, the effect is they can counter on us with more than likely a numerical advantage.

He's not a two touch player, he a 3.

For:
He's a leader. He was widely tipped to be England's Captain before it was given to Harry. He has shown his metal numerous times for us and sets the tone in many a big game with a big tackle. He takes no shit of the oppo.

His positional awareness and reading of the game is fantastic, he knows where to be to affect the game, he blocks passing lanes. His decision making is also great, he knows when to stand the oppo up, drop back or challenge/engage them. His communication with those around him is also excellent e.g the interchange of him dropping off while covering whilst someone engages the oppo (or visa versa) is all from his direction. Disagree completely with you in that he CAN press, this is even more important this season as our press is much deeper this year (it's a mid-block).

He's good in the air (better than any of our CB's).

Whilst he doesn't possess pace, he has an engine on him, he's as strong in the last min as he was in the first.

He is an effective passer but when he's not being pressed/put under pressure. Please also bear in mind his role is to recycle the ball e.g when Dembele was next to him in a double pivot he would feed him a 5yrd ball, Dembele would then do what Dembele's does but this was his role (Winks does it better because he passes it quicker).

He's versatile. There used to be just him that Poch could deploy in 3 different positions (DM, CB in a 4 or 3 at the back and RB) but Poch has also been developing Kane, Dele and Erisken to also be highly effective in multiple positions. Nonetheless, it is Dier's versatility that Poch uses without the need to make a sub that helps him and the team find solutions, also because of his fitness he has been vital to cover injuries to Dembele/Wanyama + Vertonghen/Toby and latterly Walker. Do not underestimate this, we have missed this badly this year.

He absolutely gets what Poch is about, what Tottenham are about. I see him as one of our own as a result of this, he plays with that about him.

I loved him next to Dembele, thought that partnership was excellent. It never seemed to work on the occasions when he and Wanyama started together (no issue when Wanyama was sometimes brought on to pack out the midfield to see a game out). With Dembele gone we do have a problem to fix in midfield, it's a jigsaw puzzle that I think is down to specific skill sets missing rather than coaching (obviously Winks and Skipp have lots to learn) but we do need to quicken up the midfield and I don't see this in any of CM's/DM's, this player must be able to dribble and break an oppo press, someone comfortable with the ball at his feet and can be relied on not to lose possession easily. Our players are good at certain aspects but lack in other facets, need to find a more rounded player that has high energy and fizz. (I'll be honest I'm stuck who this should be, obvious answer is Dembele, but he was so unique I'd wager there isn't another out there, I see a Racatic a Modric two very obvious styles that we don't have (I think Winks and Skipp can develop towards this but that's 3, 4, 5yrs down the road) then I see an N'Dombele type player would also would be perfect. It's a conundrum but almost certainly needs a player to be identified and brought in.
fucking love this post. Brilliant. Thumbs up emoji etc

What is going on with Eric Dier?!?
Virtually everpresent guy for us during his whole stay has started 2 games in last 81 days.
Both of the games were awful performances were we dropped out of EFL and FA Cup.

And all the issues related to his absence are ... how to say... very "round" - e.g 2 issues that I would use as first ones when I would try to cover up anything else :D .

It is most likely nothing at all, and he has had issues with appendix and tonsils but conspiracy theorists could find this to be a fruitful surface, wouldn't they :D ?

The simplest explanation is most probably the correct one, that he’s been unlucky with injuries and illness this season.

We are missing him a lot, despite his limitations he makes a big contribution to our defensive work. Oir defence is all over the place without him and Dembele in front.

What is going on with Eric Dier?!?
Virtually everpresent guy for us during his whole stay has started 2 games in last 81 days.
Both of the games were awful performances were we dropped out of EFL and FA Cup.

And all the issues related to his absence are ... how to say... very "round" - e.g 2 issues that I would use as first ones when I would try to cover up anything else :D .

It is most likely nothing at all, and he has had issues with appendix and tonsils but conspiracy theorists could find this to be a fruitful surface, wouldn't they :D ?
We took him to Lamela's *fake hospital to have a *fake operation, performed by the same *fake surgeon. Fact!

Probably rushed back following his appendix removal and now suffering from illness.

He has played in between..

Back
Top Bottom