Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nonsense story of course but even if £40m is an awful lot for Dier, which it is, then we shouldn't sell players we would otherwise keep to any clubs bar Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona or possibly PSG.

We need to rid ourselves of this 'selling club' nonsense that's branded on us even if we haven't sold a top player to another English club since Berbatov.
Every club is a selling club except Barca, Real, Bayern, and Man United.

There was ITK last summer (I think on coys) that said United would come in for him.

Couldn't agree more, was thinking he imo is the weak link in our starting 11 (harsh but I think he is the one who's the easiest to upgrade) but we shouldn't sell and won't imo, would send a bad message to those in the locker room.

EDIT: it's The Sun...
He will be our next skipper, he is in the Dave Mac mould

Man U bought the star players from PSG and Juventus in the same summer.They don't sell if they don't want to sell, the sole exception is Ronaldo. They're definitely a "buying club". They're the richest club in the world. The fact that they're awful nonetheless is really a mystery.

United sells plenty, they just don't get good money for the players they lose.
You're right, maybe I phrased that wrong. As I understood the term, "selling club" doesn't literally just mean "a club that sells". I meant to describe means a club that is forced to sell its best players. With the exception of Cristiano, Man United haven't been that kind of club in the past 20 years.

Real Madrid sold Mata, Juanfran, Niguez, Rafa, Ozil, Soldado (when he was still good)....but they did so voluntarily. They're not a selling club. All of those players would have been happy to stay with Real Madrid. There is a difference between that and the way Tottenham sold Bale, Modric, and Berbatov, because Levy would have happily held on to all three if he could have.

There was ITK last summer (I think on coys) that said United would come in for him.

Couldn't agree more, was thinking he imo is the weak link in our starting 11 (harsh but I think he is the one who's the easiest to upgrade) but we shouldn't sell and won't imo, would send a bad message to those in the locker room.

EDIT: it's The Sun...

I'm not so sure if his the weakest link IMO.
I think if we stick with the wingbacks, his a good in between type player between a FB and a CB; exactly what this formation demands of the two CB's next to the anchor (toby). We are lucky in the fact that we have 3 of these type players (verts, toby, dier), as mobile, ball playing CB's aren't that common.

I'm not so sure if his the weakest link IMO.
I think if we stick with the wingbacks, his a good in between type player between a FB and a CB; exactly what this formation demands of the two CB's next to the anchor (toby). We are lucky in the fact that we have 3 of these type players (verts, toby, dier), as mobile, ball playing CB's aren't that common.
I think it's fair to call him the weakest link. Look at the starting eleven.

----------------------Lloris
----Dier--Alderweireld-Vertonghen
Walker--Dembele----Wanyama---Rose
----Eriksen--------Kane----------Alli

That's a terrific team, when fully healthy it's the 6th or 7th best team in Europe , and definitely the best in England*. Dier is probably the most easily replaceable guy in that team, you could swap him out for any solid CB in England (Wimmer, for example) and the starting eleven as a whole would do more or less the same. I like Dier and I think he's going to become a beast of a DM/CB, probably like a white Mascherano, but still.

*Kane/Alderweireld/Dembele were missing for about 2 months combined, that's the difference between Spurs and Chelsea

That's a terrific team, when fully healthy it's the 6th or 7th best team in Europe , and definitely the best in England*. Dier is probably the most easily replaceable guy in that team, you could swap him out for any solid CB in England (Wimmer, for example) and the starting eleven as a whole would do more or less the same. I like Dier and I think he's going to become a beast of a DM/CB, probably like a white Mascherano, but still.

*Kane/Alderweireld/Dembele were missing for about 2 months combined, that's the difference between Spurs and Chelsea
What colour was Mascherano then? Last time I looked he was a well tanned caucasian

What colour was Mascherano then? Last time I looked he was a well tanned caucasian
Nah, Mascherano is clearly mestizo. Dude is no more white than I am

javier-mascherano-world-cup.jpg

I get your point, but I'm not so sure.
As I said, that type of CB is rarer than the opposite and given his potential, as well as chemistry with the rest of the team, I don't see any utility in highlighting him.
Its like saying would I trade Toby for Ramos or Boateng....um yes, but its a useless hypothetical.
Tell me of a player of Dier's age and potential in world football who isn't Stones (I prob take Dier over Stones), Varane or Laporte, who you'd trade him for.

I get your point, but I'm not so sure.
As I said, that type of CB is rarer than the opposite and given his potential, as well as chemistry with the rest of the team, I don't see any utility in highlighting him.
Its like saying would I trade Toby for Ramos or Boateng....um yes, but its a useless hypothetical.
Tell me of a player of Dier's age and potential in world football who isn't Stones (I prob take Dier over Stones), Varane or Laporte, who you'd trade him for.
Like, in terms of their current ability and not their potential? Wimmer. They're both 22-24, right? I think Dier will be better one day, but in terms of a defender in a back 3? I think they're about the same.

Like, in terms of their current ability and not their potential? Wimmer. They're both 22-24, right? I think Dier will be better one day, but in terms of a defender in a back 3? I think they're about the same.

Wimmer is 2 years older (which is a decent percentage of a footballers career) and honestly has had a much poorer season than Dier when called upon.
If I was basing this on last years performances, I'd say Wimmer but given the age difference and current form, Dier all day.
Dier still has a brain fade in him but given his youth/potential, I'd say if we develop him by keeping him in our first 11, it will pay off; there's a reason the likes of Bayern have ben linked with him.

Man U bought the star players from PSG and Juventus in the same summer.They don't sell if they don't want to sell, the sole exception is Ronaldo. They're definitely a "buying club". They're the richest club in the world. The fact that they're awful nonetheless is really a mystery.
And that's the point they sold their best player - in-voluntarily. For their wealth and footprint their best still forced a move elsewhere.

And that's the point they sold their best player - in-voluntarily. For their wealth and footprint their best still forced a move elsewhere.

Your argument relies on only onr example; a fairly shaky foundation.
Coupled with the fact that Ronaldo is a once in a lifetime player and that his childhood dream was to play for RM and your argument is pretty much void.
Yes, Man UTD are a selling club, but only if you are Ronaldo, Messi, Maradonna or Pele.

If United offer him a central midfield role that maximises his abilities and parallels that he holds in the national team, in World Cup year, then it's something he'll naturally seriously consider. If Pocchettino's decided that Wanyama is his main man in midfield, you can't blame him.

Again, from a common sense point of view if both United and Dier want the move it'd make more sense to pursue a swap for Martial than take the money to reinvest in more dubious transfers.

If United offer him a central midfield role that maximises his abilities and parallels that he holds in the national team, in World Cup year, then it's something he'll naturally seriously consider. If Pocchettino's decided that Wanyama is his main man in midfield, you can't blame him.

Again, from a common sense point of view if both United and Dier want the move it'd make more sense to pursue a swap for Martial than take the money to reinvest in more dubious transfers.

Maureen only admitted the other day that the top 6 don't sell players to each other any more.

We don't strengthen perceived rivals anymore. Hopefully we tell them to fuck off and give Carrick another season.

Think players who are the finished article should only move to united because you won't improve as a player under Jose.
And Dier still has Room to improve.

And united are shit :kaneshh::levylol:

Would you be happy if you sign him?

Back
Top Bottom