Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got a lot of stick on twitter tonight, I thought he was excellent. Then again Alli is getting a lot of stick on twitter and he was levels above anyone on the pitch. And Danny Rose gets hate on twitter every week and he's fantastic.

I think this means we're becoming a great team.

Anyway back to the initial point, thought dier did well tonight. Some of his passing was great and he won them ball back continuously. His touch in tight areas isn't the best but he isn't that kind of player.

Yeah, I thought he was excellent tonight too, it's easy to forget how good he is in DM. Alli is still very young - he looks raw at times and still needs to work on his finishing imho. Felt sorry for vardy, constantly looking to run in behind the defence but we never played that way.

Got a lot of stick on twitter tonight, I thought he was excellent. Then again Alli is getting a lot of stick on twitter and he was levels above anyone on the pitch. And Danny Rose gets hate on twitter every week and he's fantastic.

I think this means we're becoming a great team.

Anyway back to the initial point, thought dier did well tonight. Some of his passing was great and he won them ball back continuously. His touch in tight areas isn't the best but he isn't that kind of player.
I think people slate Alli because he doesn't score a pearler every game for club or country. Same with Dier really. Unless you play for Chelski, Citeh, Manure or Scum you will only ever be called shit by others.

Felt sorry for vardy
giphy.gif

Looked rusty in midfield which is understandable; his performance in the same fixture last year was a true representation of Dier IMO. Having to be more box to box next to Livermore didn't help either.

Pocchettino should be looking to reintegrate him into the midfield; I just don't see what Wanayama offers that eclipses Eric's work in there.

Looked rusty in midfield which is understandable; his performance in the same fixture last year was a true representation of Dier IMO. Having to be more box to box next to Livermore didn't help either.

Pocchettino should be looking to reintegrate him into the midfield; I just don't see what Wanayama offers that eclipses Eric's work in there.

Well if we can bring in suitable RCB support hopefully he'll be back to being part of the DM rotation.

(Not that I take issue with him at CB...)

...I pray Poch can nail a successful rotation policy between competitions. Gonna prove to be massive if we're gonna continue to be genuine challengers in the coming seasons.

Successfully juggling domestic AND Europe is the next level/challenge that awaits Poch.

Well if we can bring in suitable RCB support hopefully he'll be back to being part of the DM rotation.

(Not that I take issue with him at CB...)

...I pray Poch can nail a successful rotation policy between competitions. Gonna prove to be massive if we're gonna continue to be genuine challengers in the coming seasons.

Successfully juggling domestic AND Europe is the next level/challenge that awaits Poch.

I'd like to ditch the back 3 and return to last season's 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3/4-4-2 diamond. Hopefully it's the lack of valid wide options in Lamela's absence that has forced Pocchettino's hand, something that can be addressed in the summer with a few quality signings.

The obstacle is Wanyama; the Dier-Dembele axis was a case of not broke so don't fix it, but acquiring big Vic broke it, and I think that's been detrimental to the overall balance of the team.

I'd like to ditch the back 3 and return to last season's 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3/4-4-2 diamond. Hopefully it's the lack of valid wide options in Lamela's absence that has forced Pocchettino's hand, something that can be addressed in the summer with a few quality signings.

The obstacle is Wanyama; the Dier-Dembele axis was a case of not broke so don't fix it, but acquiring big Vic broke it, and I think that's been detrimental to the overall balance of the team.

Despite the 'disagrees', I do see where your coming from... I shared that view up until a point this season, but the fact is there's more at play than any perceived 'Vic factor.'... With the key injuries we've had, and indeed continue to have, we've evolved organically and found a system that seems to work for even better for us in as much as we cope better against 'parked buses' without losing any of our competitive edge against the top end of the table.

Once could argue that this is key to why we are performing even better in the league this year despite the aforementioned injuries...?

One could wonder if maybe Europe had panned out better if we'd broken this system in sooner...?

What I do know however, is that considering we still have ALL the personnel from last season on the books, we have last seasons 4231 (with said players) in our locker when Poch deems it required.... We have bonafide, and proven, flexibility of formation AND tactics (More measured in our pressing this year, maybe? ...Or maybe the WBs are carrying a hell of a lot of that load by condensing their part of the pitch so amazingly well that we have better defensive coverage in the middle?). Rewind for a split second to the mere beginning of this season and the manager was still (for many) sporting the 'no plan B' tag...

Our GAFFER is evolving organically (or if one prefers; learning on the fly) in front of our eyes.

Fuckin' A!

p.s. How do you line up a 442 diamond with a 2 man Dier/Dembele axis (when you consider 442 diamond is truly more like 4132 by the time it hits the pitch)?

Weve scored more goals with a back 3;
Weve conceded fewer goals with a back 3 (even ignoring the 1-5 Barcodes as an outlier).

It makes much more of everyones strengths, barring Dier. I like Dier alot and hope that he can get to grips with the 3-4-3 system. Wanyama is differnt in MF, and imo better. Beast.

Weve scored more goals with a back 3;
Weve conceded fewer goals with a back 3 (even ignoring the 1-5 Barcodes as an outlier).

It makes much more of everyones strengths, barring Dier. I like Dier alot and hope that he can get to grips with the 3-4-3 system. Wanyama is differnt in MF, and imo better. Beast.

I don't think he's had a poor game as the right CB in a back three yet. I think it suits him quite well playing there. It allows him to get forward a lot as well.

Nonsense story of course but even if £40m is an awful lot for Dier, which it is, then we shouldn't sell players we would otherwise keep to any clubs bar Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona or possibly PSG.

We need to rid ourselves of this 'selling club' nonsense that's branded on us even if we haven't sold a top player to another English club since Berbatov.

If Eric woke up tomorrow and both legs had fallen off overnight I'd give him a job as Dele's practice cone. He goes nowhere whilst Dele is here!

And as for selling United or any other Prem team an England starter, they can cunt right off!

Last edited:

There was ITK last summer (I think on coys) that said United would come in for him.

Nonsense story of course but even if £40m is an awful lot for Dier, which it is, then we shouldn't sell players we would otherwise keep to any clubs bar Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona or possibly PSG.

We need to rid ourselves of this 'selling club' nonsense that's branded on us even if we haven't sold a top player to another English club since Berbatov.
Couldn't agree more, was thinking he imo is the weak link in our starting 11 (harsh but I think he is the one who's the easiest to upgrade) but we shouldn't sell and won't imo, would send a bad message to those in the locker room.

EDIT: it's The Sun...

Back
Top Bottom