Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree that he isn't and should never be used as, a defender. Davies, Wanyama and even Carter-Vickers would be more solid options in there. I feel sorry for him as he's been moved out of his best position to accomodate Wanyama, despite being the more complete player.

The same has happened to Rashford; Ibrahimovic was brought in and he's been shoehorned onto the wing, with his form, momentum and reputation naturally suffering in the process.

Pochettino has his favourites, what can you say? He'd play Kane, Dier, Wanyama even if they all had one leg.

Last season he was assured of his starting place as defensive midfielder, his natural role. Wanyama has come in and done an even better job.

I don't think Wanyama is better than last seasons Dier, personally.

Wanyama defends well but misses absolute sitters constantly and only seems capable of simple 5 yard passes. Last season it wasn't uncommon for Dier to spray passes across the pitch.

Dier was a defender and didn't the club state at one point he is first and foremost a defender. He played in front of the defence last season and excelled at it and now we see his fragility as a last line defender this season and we assume he shouldn't play in defence, but as a sweeper/holding midfielder?

I don't think Wanyama is better than last seasons Dier, personally.

Wanyama defends well but misses absolute sitters constantly and only seems capable of simple 5 yard passes. Last season it wasn't uncommon for Dier to spray passes across the pitch.

Dier also has that second nature friendship with Alli where they know where each other are. Last year that relationship really helped us get forward and open up the opposition

Based on this season? You'd bite their hand off at £35,000,000 because he quite frankly has been a donkey.

But Man Utd wouldn't be signing him to play as an average centre half. They'd be him as a long term replacement for Carrick and if that's the case, £35,000,000 would be about right but I wouldn't sell him to Man Utd and neither would Poch.

Based on this season? You'd bite their hand off at £35,000,000 because he quite frankly has been a donkey.

But Man Utd wouldn't be signing him to play as an average centre half. They'd be him as a long term replacement for Carrick and if that's the case, £35,000,000 would be about right but I wouldn't sell him to Man Utd and neither would Poch.

Selling a young player whose played in several positions to the one he excelled at after a few ropey performances? Seriously I prefer to keep Dier as he's versatile and has a lot of years ahead of him.

Selling a young player whose played in several positions to the one he excelled at after a few ropey performances? Seriously I prefer to keep Dier as he's versatile and has a lot of years ahead of him.

He's been gash all season and this is coming from a big Dier fan.

He's a terrible centre half, especially in a two. Perhaps one of the worst we've seen in recent years. He's okay in a back three, it hides a lot of his negatives.

His versatility is all well and good. He can play right back (which he is better at doing than at centre half), he attempts to play at centre half and he is an incredible defensive midfielder. That alone and the fact that he's clearly a Pochettino favourite means he won't be sold, especially not to a team in the same league.

He's been gash all season and this is coming from a big Dier fan.

He's a terrible centre half, especially in a two. Perhaps one of the worst we've seen in recent years. He's okay in a back three, it hides a lot of his negatives.

His versatility is all well and good. He can play right back (which he is better at doing than at centre half), he attempts to play at centre half and he is an incredible defensive midfielder. That alone and the fact that he's clearly a Pochettino favourite means he won't be sold, especially not to a team in the same league.

Just as well it's Pochettino making the decisions and not yourself Totts. We've been spoilt by the fact Wanyama has been so good at CDM that Dier being a favourite has meant him playing in a weaker position for him.

Sooner he's back to competing with Wanyama for the midfield role the better.

Right now he's one of those players that is hurt by his versatility.

Spot on.

Just because Wanyama has been better in central midfield and Dier was good last year doesn't mean we have to shoe-horn him into the team. Depth and competition is crucial for success. Rose and Walker have clearly upped their games since Trippier and Davies have signed. Dier and Wanyama should be competing for central midfield and he should stay well clear away from centre back unless it's last resort and three of our four actual centre halfs (Vert, Toby, CCV, Wimmer) are all injured.

Last edited:
The only reason he started at CB was because of all them he is the most experienced.
Did you think Poch will throw in CCV and put Dier on the bench.
Dier will be a CDM first and foremost. He will share the burden with Wanyama. He will fill in wherever needed. What is the problem with that?
Dier scored 3 goals last season Wanyama has scored 2 so far.
Dier made 2 assists last year. Wanyama hasn't any, so far.
Maybe because of the injuries to the CB's, and his reluctance to play Wimmer after the City game, Dier has been used too much at CB
I honestly think that if we would have had an injury free CB pairing, or Wimmer had stepped up for Vertonghen, then we would have seen Dier used more in CDM.
After all what would we have done if Alderwiereld would have been injured last season?
I doubt CCV or Fazio would have played at CB instead of Dier for 8 games.
The solution would be to buy another right footed CB, but then that leaves CCV with no chance of making it, and I think Pochettino intends to bring him through.

Spot on.

Just because Wanyama has been better in central midfield and Dier was goof last year doesn't mean we have to shoe-horn him into the team. Depth and competition is crucial for success. Rose and Walker have clearly upped their games since Trippier and Davies have signed. Dier and Wanyama should be competing for central midfield and he should stay well clear away from centre back unless it's last resort and three of our four actual centre halfs (Vert, Toby, CCV, Wimmer) are all injured.
Agree with that but it looks as though Poch doesn't want to throw CCV in at the deep end. I suppose we will have to trust him on that.

Agree with that but it looks as though Poch doesn't want to throw CCV in at the deep end. I suppose we will have to trust him on that.

That's fair enough regarding CCV.

But when Vertonghen was out injured, we were STILL playing Dier in central defence. I can understand wanting the right and left sided central defenders but don't put Dier right sided central defence and put Alderweireld out on the left when we have Wimmer, who is actually a centre half and a better one at that.

That's fair enough regarding CCV.

But when Vertonghen was out injured, we were STILL playing Dier in central defence. I can understand wanting the right and left sided central defenders but don't put Dier right sided central defence and put Alderweireld out on the left when we have Wimmer, who is actually a centre half and a better one at that.
I think that had a lot to do with the City game. I couldn't understand it either. There must have been some logic behind it. He didn't play him away at Sunderland , Boro Liverpool or any of the EL games until Vertonghen came back at Fulham.
Then used him for Alderwiereld in a 3 when we were 4 up when we could have gone 4 at the back(we had to when Vertonghen also went off)
However, we probably don't know all that goes on. Sometimes it's more to do with just football.
Footballers are human.
I think there may be a confidence and fitness issue.

Back
Top Bottom