Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I suspect we'll initially see him used as RB cover while he gets a little seasoning and then is moved over to CB permanently.

I suspect we'll initially see him used as RB cover while he gets a little seasoning and then is moved over to CB permanently.

I don't think so bud, and especially not under Poch's wingback system. This kid isn't even remotely quick enough to play fullback from what I've seen of him. My guess is he'll be introduced into the fold through the fall cup matches at CB.

In truth though, it's not like this guy is entirely inexperienced per his age. He's already played in both the Estadio da Luz and the Estadio do Dragao, both places no side in Europe would enjoy visiting. So I'm hoping seeing time in those cups alongside a more seasoned option will be sufficient to bring him up to speed should he be called upon in the league sooner rather than later.

Got to laugh at the itks who never once called this and the supposed experts claiming to know all about him when he's not once been suggested a player we should look at.

I like his back story and he seems far better value than going for someone like stones. But completely reserving judgement until he's had a few years with us

I like this signing, but I hope it's not the only CB we sign this window. Someone who can step in quicker, like Musacchio would be a great addition.

Got to laugh at the itks who never once called this and the supposed experts claiming to know all about him when he's not once been suggested a player we should look at.....

Actually, some ITK did call this a little while ago ...

The Goat said:
A few things that have reached The Goat.

We could go after Eric Dier our scouts have watched him a lot last year. Also we have watched Matthias Ginter as well. Both good defenders who we have been tracking. Ben Davies deal is not dead either but players agent is touting him to Liverpool more than us.

Lukaku/Bony. The Goat hears that a striker is not a priority atm. But could change if Ade is out longer than expected.

I don't think so bud, and especially not under Poch's wingback system. This kid isn't even remotely quick enough to play fullback from what I've seen of him. My guess is he'll be introduced into the fold through the fall cup matches at CB.

In truth though, it's not like this guy is entirely inexperienced per his age. He's already played in both the Estadio da Luz and the Estadio do Dragao, both places no side in Europe would enjoy visiting. So I'm hoping seeing time in those cups alongside a more seasoned option will be sufficient to bring him up to speed should he be called upon in the league sooner rather than later.

He made his debut for Sporting playing RB and has played a lot there. He's a very versatile player from what I've read.

Got to laugh at the itks who never once called this and the supposed experts claiming to know all about him when he's not once been suggested a player we should look at.

I like his back story and he seems far better value than going for someone like stones. But completely reserving judgement until he's had a few years with us

That's actually not entirely true. Several of them have declared we were set to bring in one or two young players at CB, and one was a bit more specific Dier was one of these. They've also said we've been scouting this player for quite some time.

I must say, I hope that latter part is true, because if both Broomfield and Poch gave the thumbs up on this one, I'm very anxious to see how it plays out. Broomfield has been spectacular in not so much finding quality players, but picking out players who would adapt quickly to the Premier League.

The fuck is wrong with you.

Judge him god dam you.

That's actually not entirely true. Several of them have declared we were set to bring in one or two young players at CB, and one was a bit more specific Dier was one of these. They've also said we've been scouting this player for quite some time.

I must say, I hope that latter part is true, because if both Broomfield and Poch gave the thumbs up on this one, I'm very anxious to see how it plays out. Broomfield has been spectacular in not so much finding quality players, but picking out players who would adapt quickly to the Premier League.

Well fuck a doodle do to you too mate

:dawsonmean:

He made his debut for Sporting playing RB and has played a lot there. He's a very versatile player from what I've read.

He very well may, but I don't think he has the pace to make it work in a high line in the Prem as opposed to a traditional positioning in the Portuguese league, and especially not with how Poch likes to field his wingbacks. I'd imagine he could do a job there per the versatility as you say, but I'd be surprised if the plan to integrate him is through the position.

I've followed his career closely and I'm honestly not that excited, always thought he was a bit overhyped. It's definitely a great deal, though, but it's about potential, and I certainly hope it doesn't mean Vlad has been deemed surplus to requirements.
I just don't get this whole Vlad thing, for me we've not had much value out of the £7M we paid for him and i've not seen anything from him that will convince me otherwise. Maybe I'm missing something.....I'd rather see Verts and Kaboul as our first choice with this new kid and Daws (or a n other) as backup. And get some money back for Chriches.

I know fucking dick about this guy and one friendly against Benfica video doesn't help much. From what I've read on the internet there are quite a few people that seem to be very happy that we're (seemingly) going to get him. If he managed to break into the 1st team on a regular basis I'll be able to comment a little bit more.

I do want to throw THIS out there though. Someone at the club must read this board. They think our player recommendations are shit, but they do agree with which positions need immediate strengthening. Before preseason is was 100% LB, LW, LB, LW, LB, LW, LB, LW, LB, LB, LB, LB, LB, LB, etc. After that game against Seattle is was HOLY SHIT WE NEED A CB!!! CB! CB! CB! Wait a week and look at who we're going after.

I know fucking dick about this guy and one friendly against Benfica video doesn't help much. From what I've read on the internet there are quite a few people that seem to be very happy that we're (seemingly) going to get him. If he managed to break into the 1st team on a regular basis I'll be able to comment a little bit more.

I do want to throw THIS out there though. Someone at the club must read this board. They think our player recommendations are shit, but they do agree with which positions need immediate strengthening. Before preseason is was 100% LB, LW, LB, LW, LB, LW, LB, LW, LB, LB, LB, LB, LB, LB, etc. After that game against Seattle is was HOLY SHIT WE NEED A CB!!! CB! CB! CB! Wait a week and look at who we're going after.
We were woeful at the back last season, how many goals did we concede? Another CB (hopefully a good one) wont do us any harm at all, deffo worth a gamble at that price.

Back
Top Bottom