Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not great yesterday, but not totally awful. Some stupid attempted passes which put us under pressure, but some good interceptions and fewer free kicks given away

Seems slow (of movement and thought) and generally lumbers around. Even the commentators, who I assume don't follow Spurs as closely as we do, remarked that he looked heavy.

He's has two full games and 29 minutes to start to regain match fitness. I'd expect him to start showing what he's capable of beginning Wednesday (I'm assuming he'll start).

There'll be an FA Cup game after Christmas. I wouldn't mind Skipp being given a run out in this DM role.

Not great yesterday, but not totally awful. Some stupid attempted passes which put us under pressure, but some good interceptions and fewer free kicks given away

Seems slow (of movement and thought) and generally lumbers around. Even the commentators, who I assume don't follow Spurs as closely as we do, remarked that he looked heavy.

He's has two full games and 29 minutes to start to regain match fitness. I'd expect him to start showing what he's capable of beginning Wednesday (I'm assuming he'll start).

There'll be an FA Cup game after Christmas. I wouldn't mind Skipp being given a run out in this DM role.

Skipp will have to be exceptional for Mourinho to play him.

This is not a manager who will be taking chances. Not in his DNA unless the player demands a place.

For now Dier but only because options are limited. Any area Mourinho sees as weak will be plugged.

It's what he does.

More games he plays the less mistakes he will make, it takes a while to get up to speed if your 6ft odd and 14 stone.
As I have said before , he aint no Iniesta but he gives 100% of what he has and he is versatile.

Dier as a DM

For where we want to be, I believe he will never be good enough. His mobility, vision and reading of game are areas that he will get caught out on. If the games a battle then I believe he’s the right player but compared to other players (in other teams) in that position he’s way off.

Sounds ridiculous but during the time he’s had off it’s the like the game has left him behind.

Baby steps, but he was more effective today than he has been for a long time....

2 more games before the chavs visit... Keep feeding him minutes IMO.

His job is to sit in front of the back four putting his foot in, thus force opposing teams out wide preventing attacks down the middle, he did that very well today. He's also very strong in the air and despite what Blakey thinks, that aerial prowess is vital in stopping long ball attacks piercing our defence. No longer will that long ball - flick - forward running through goal happen every week, now Dier makes the first challenge which leaves defensive cover in behind. Sure he's not the world's best on the ball so he needs to keep it simple ... however with match fitness and more confidence Eric will be a fixture of the Jose years.

Good stuff from the portugeezer today.

As I said in the match thread, once I felt the game was safe I tried to watch Dier for the rest.

He is a very good header of long balls.

He knows the defensive positioning a centre back would know having played there.

He can tackle cleanly and win a ball back standing up.

He’s got a Grumpy Cat kind of face. I’m sure when opponents see him coming it’s worrisome.

Well I know he made a couple of mistakes as the man behind me moaned both times but that is an improvement and the bloke did agree with his mate when Dier did something good. Needs resting midweek but should play next weekend.

He gave the ball a way a few times. There's being rusty and there's being a liability. That's where better teams punish us.

That said his pass through for the goal was lovely.

Alot of people cant seem to distinguish between mistakes and dangerous mistakes.

In terms of dangerous goal conceding mistakes, id take Dier as a safe pair of hands over any other midfielder we have. Thats why hes getting games.

Back
Top Bottom