Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remember the best of Dier. As a CDM his positioning was excellent and more than made up for his lack of speed. Although, like the rest of our team, he was vulnerable to a stupid pass he has an above average passing range for a CDM.

He’s one of those players we need to get back into form ASAP. I like him as a CDM or a CB in a back 3 but not in a back 4.

Pretty sure 18 months covers the 18/19 season to which he featured a fair bit... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Point I was making is that he started the season but had appendix out in late autumn and never seemed terribly fit after that with quite a few niggling issues - only reason Poch was playing him then was injuries to everyone else but he should have had a longer recovery time to get 100% fit before playing

I feel like I'm one of the few people who remember how bad Dier has been in the last like 18 months. He's never really kicked on and keeps getting hurt. He's not an answer.

He was a go-to player clocking up circa 55 games a season for his first 3/4 years.

He missed most of last year due to ILLNESS not unjury.

Yes, he has had a disappointing 18 months, but your memories are evidently flawed much the same.

Should I mention at the this point he's been out injured for best part of s year - tried coming back in early 2019 from appendicitis operation to get injured.

Should I mention, as already stated, that he's predominantly been ILL not "injured.... It wasn't only appendicitis he's suffered from.

Besides, once fit, what does this matter with regard to playing him now or not?

Dier shouldn't play now, cos he's been missed games in the past? .....How does this narrative actually work?

Last edited:
Needs game time no matter where at- CDM, RB, CB. He can't get in form with 15 mins every other game. Poch is handling him poorly, as he is with many of our other players.

Should I mention, as already stated, that he's predominantly been ILL not "injured.... It wasn't only appendicitis he's suffered from.

Besides, once fit, what does this matter with regard to playing him now or not?

Dier shouldn't play now, cos he's been missed games in the past? .....How does this narrative actually work?

To clarify he was injured and/or ill (eg appendicitis) for the best part of a year, so was not in a good state to have a run of games - and on that basis its not sensible to opine on how well he was playing football.

He's just returned to being 'fit' and Poch needs to ensure he is fit enough to play. Good news is that having played in the Colchester game, whilst lower league opposition, he looked 'up for it' , so with luck that means that he's pretty much fit (providing Poch and the medics agree).

To clarify he was injured and/or ill (eg appendicitis) for the best part of a year, so was not in a good state to have a run of games - and on that basis its not sensible to opine on how well he was playing football.

I'm sorry.... I've obv. mistaken the context of your comment.

Just baffled (and in turn frustrated) that some are in fact criticising him for his unfortunate predicament of late.

He was a go-to player clocking up circa 55 games a season for his first 3/4 years.

He missed most of last year due to ILLNESS not unjury.

Yes, he has had a disappointing 18 months, but your memories are evidently flawed much the same.

Dier has never played 55 games in a season for us, that's just inaccurate.

Sure, he was sick last year, he also picked up injuries that kept him out of the team, and he also picked up an injury right before the season as well. I think it's quite telling that Poch is putting on Wanyama instead of Dier at the end of games. I know opinion of Poch is not quite high at the moment, but considering how broken Wanyama is and he's still preferred, then that should probably tell us what Poch considers Dier at this point. He's either a DM that's worse than Wanyama, or he's like a 4th choice CB, either way it's not a particularly good look for him.

Diers first touch today reminded me of how I used to play in the last 15 minutes of games.

I used to smoke a joint at half time. :pochfacepalm:

Don't think we can be too harsh on Dier today .

He didn't look great, but our entire side is a mess. Any player not up to full speed will stick out.

He was rusty as hell but there were moments when you could see that he could sense danger that the others couldn't. A couple of times players were running through and he just eased them out and shuffled them away, something we haven't done all season.

The team sheet we turned in was good today, if Hugo hadn't made that mistake and crocked himself the game could have been so different. Nobody had a chance to settle into the game. Dier was no worse than anyone else.

His ability on the ball is average at this level when he's in midfield but put him at the back and he can be a very fine ball playing defender. He doesn't move quick enough in midfield which is the area most congested to cut it but at the back he can stride out and pick out passes comfortably.

His ability on the ball is average at this level when he's in midfield but put him at the back and he can be a very fine ball playing defender. He doesn't move quick enough in midfield which is the area most congested to cut it but at the back he can stride out and pick out passes comfortably.

For me he would do a strong job as a CB or a blocker type DM role. A ball playing DM or a pressers like Kante he simply isn't.

He's been excellent value for money but he's in his mid 20s now and needs to play to his strengths or watch his career pass by as a so so player.

Never my favourite player he did well tonight, partly because he didn't have too much to trouble him. I fear for the goal with him in defence against a vibrant, attacking team so don't want him in the starting eleven against Sheffield.

He's been a far better CB his entire career, he just believes he's a CDM, he needs to understand that CB is his position and if he wants game time that's where it will be ... he's only 25 still has 7 great years ahead as a CB.

Back
Top Bottom