ENIC's Managerial Appointments

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Saw discussion about Jol recently, thought might be worth its own topic

How do you rate ENIC's managerial appointments to date?

Well, bearing in mind Poch is the indisputable no.1 I'd go as follows

2. Redknapp - as much as he had his personality traits he came in at a turbulent time, steadied the ship and had us play some great football on the eye. If anything, I believe he exceeded Levy's expectations as a temporary stop-gap to the rot

3. Jol - 2x 5th place finishes with a largely mediocre squad compared to the Top 4 at the time, including some great attacking play is worth noting - was treated disgracefully by the club in the end.

4. AVB - great ideas - poor implementation. I believe the transfer market dealings with Baldini didn't help either following the Bale fiasco - I still feel he was destroyed by the cunt-media and simply cracked mentally (as early as his Chelsea days). I also think he'll go on to have a successful managerial career and was professional to the end.

5. Ramos - Won a trophy and had some good tactical intentions, including modern training methods, nutrition, etc. Sad it never worked out for him but he lost our 2 best strikers in a period of few weeks and season went to shit soon after. In fact - we stopped playing after the final win, imv. The language barrier didn't help either. Good guy - always spoke well about us after.

6. Santini - no comment really - dark days of transition

Not classified - Weasel - fuck off

Last edited:
Saw discussion about Jol recently, thought might be worth its own topics

How do you rate ENIC's managerial appointments to date?

Well, bearing in mind Poch is the indisputable no.1 I'd go as follows

2. Redknapp - as much as he had his personality traits he came in at a turbulent time, steadied the ship and had us play some great football on the eye. If anything, I believe he exceeded Levy's expectations

3. Jol - 2x 5th place finishes with a largely mediocre squad compared to the Top 4 at the time, including some great attacking play is worth noting - was treated disgracefully by the club in the end.

4. AVB - great ideas - poor implementation. I believe the transfer market dealings with Baldini didn't help either following the Bale fiasco - I still feel he was destroyed by the cunt-media and simply cracked mentally (as early as his Chelsa days). I also think he'll go on to have a successful managerial career and was professional to the end.

5. Ramos - Won a trophy and had some good tactical intentions, including modern training methods, nutrition, etc. Sad it never worked out for him but he lost our 2 best strikers in a period of few weeks and season went to shit after. In fact - we stopped playing after the final win, imv. The language barrier didn't help either. Good guy - always spoke well about us after.

6. Santini - no comment really - dark days of transition

Not classified - Weasel - fuck off
The only debatable thing is AVB vs Jol. AVB will have the better league record, but the chaos he left us in (including the gilet) probably gives it to Jol

Archy are we measuring the managers or the appointment method? as I would have 2 different ratings for each (AVB's recruitment process was more professional than Jol yet I wouldn't rate him higher). Though in both lists dim tim is last

Archy are we measuring the managers or the appointment method? as I would have 2 different ratings for each (AVB's recruitment process was more professional than Jol yet I wouldn't rate him higher). Though in both lists dim tim is last
Rating them as Tottenham managers

I reckon todays era began with the Santini, Jol and Arneson appointments.
We went some 18 months without a full time manager after Hoddle and for me that space signalled the end of the dark ages.

Although Santini walked after, what one year, we then had god send in Jol stepping up a level.
Its been up and down, but its been steady progress since then.

Despite what people think of Sherwood, his contribution was vital. Make no mistake, AVB was taking us into a relegation battle and Sherwood lifted the team, the spirit, and the results. How can anyone write off his part in it when it was he who dropped Soldado and gave Ade and Kane a chance?

Im no fan of AVB but rather than turn this into a bitch fest about managers, I will look at what part he played in our progress. At the time, I saw little to justify him replacing Redknapp, but looking back he got us some cracking results, and before it all went wrong he was clearly trying to install a football philosophy in the players, which all good sides need. Like most managers before Poch, he suffered in the window, and the Moutinho farce was probably the beginning of the end really, in terms of never being able to create the midfield he had based our whole team on.

Redknapp goes without saying. Second best manager under ENIC, and the football was just ridiculously good at times. Call it what you want, but during his term, the stars aligned for us and to coin a phrase (if you are my age at 40, and dont really remember the Burkinshaw era) we'd never had it so good.

Jol started the ball rolling, getting us into Europe, and his era was probably the most fun, and WHL felt like it did in the 90's at some games. Played a massive roll in todays era, and his dismissal for Ramos was a bit like that of Redknapp with AVB. Unfair, and over too soon.

Ramos, thanks for the trophy.....thats about it really. The rest was shite.

We went some 18 months without a full time manager after Hoddle and for me that space signalled the end of the dark ages.

Although Santini walked after, what one year, we then had god send in Jol stepping up a level.

Despite what people think of Sherwood, his contribution was vital. Make no mistake, AVB was taking us into a relegation battle and Sherwood lifted the team, the spirit, and the results. How can anyone write off his part in it when it was he who dropped Soldado and gave Ade and Kane a chance?

Im no fan of AVB but rather than turn this into a bitch fest about managers, I will look at what part he played in our progress. At the time, I saw little to justify him replacing Redknapp, but looking back he got us some cracking results, and before it all went wrong he was clearly trying to install a football philosophy in the players, which all good sides need. Like most managers before Poch, he suffered in the window, and the Moutinho farce was probably the beginning of the end really, in terms of never being able to create the midfield he had based our whole team on.

Redknapp goes without saying. Second best manager under ENIC, and the football was just ridiculously good at times. Call it what you want, but during his term, the stars aligned for us and to coin a phrase (if you are my age at 40, and dont really remember the Burkinshaw era) we'd never had it so good.

Jol started the ball rolling, getting us into Europe, and his era was probably the most fun, and WHL felt like it did in the 90's at some games. Played a massive roll in todays era, and his dismissal for Ramos was a bit like that of Redknapp with AVB. Unfair, and over too soon.

Mate Harry’s sack was inevitable, his conduct around the England job was disrespectful and killed our season in the middle when we were riding second until Boxing Day

Last edited:

Santini fucked off after 13 games. It was Jol who started this era by getting us into Europe. Before him we hadn’t finished in the top or bottom six in the PL. The definition of mid-table.

Santini

What a waste of space

Apparently bollocked any of our full backs who ventured over the halfway line

Bus Parker

Redknapp was a great time to watch the team. Always felt like we were going to win it was just a question of how many goals. I had more confidence back then, than I do now and I'm not sure why as the team and managment now is far superior

4. AVB - great ideas - poor implementation. I believe the transfer market dealings with Baldini didn't help either following the Bale fiasco - I still feel he was destroyed by the cunt-media and simply cracked mentally (as early as his Chelsea days). I also think he'll go on to have a successful managerial career and was professional to the end.

Was on holiday in Monaco and Joao Moutinho stepped out of his car outside the stadium about 4hours before kick off. Couldnt help but mutter Levy and his fucking fax machine :levywtf:

I think ArcspacE ArcspacE and sammyspurs sammyspurs have got it more or less nailed.

I don't think Santini was with us long enough to really have an opinion on him and Jol was his number 2 so maybe we should call that period Jol/Santini.

We should definitely include Graham and Hoddle though.

It was a while back, I was much younger, and smoking a lot more weed, but here's roughly what I remember of it.
ENIC comes in and have an unpopular manager (ex-goon, negative football, decent-ish results) and sack him because that's the prerogative of new owners. Trying to ingratiate themselves to the fan-base, they go for the club legend, man-who-can-do-no-wrong, Glenn Hoddle. He's given full control over transfer policy and a pretty big budget for those times, much more than Graham was given. He spent it foolishly on has beens and foreign flops. Our team was worth less than he paid for it and underachieved. For ENIC he had to go, legend or no legend.

I think those first 3 years for ENIC and Levy were a huge learning curve.

Looking back at what our starting eleven was under Jol, he did a remarkable job to almost get us into the CL (and would have done if not for Lasagnegate), though no European football and being knocked out both the domestic cups in our first matches (to Grimsby and a Championship Leicester!) probably played a major part.

I had more confidence back then, than I do now and I'm not sure why as the team and managment now is far superior
Personally, much more confident going into games now than under Harry! Particularly with our defence. That 3-2 win at West Ham, although still shitting myself, I was fully convinced we would win even at 3-2, before Poch I would have thought we would fuck it up (and we probably would have done).

Back
Top Bottom