Dortmund (h) CL 18/19 r16 ist leg ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
This Beautiful Game we call Football

This was a tale of two tactically very different halves. Anyone who's watched a bit of Dortmund this season (and that's probably quite a few of us) know their MO. Favre has them set up to suck teams onto them, ready to pounce, utilising some very clever, quick and potent attacking players.

And first half our laboured possession, lacking in cohesion from midfield, floundered on the almost non existent hold up play of our two flighty forwards, who continually coughed up the ball, with Aurier doing another one of his impressions of a guy who's won a competition to be out there, saw us play perfectly into Dortmund's hands.They countered swiftly and effectively, exploiting our possession fucked away carelessly, and several times it was just last ditch defending, poor end product or luck that saved us form going behind first half. We didn't have a single shot on target, they had 4. Sancho was causing mayhem, our CB's were all looking like stewed prunes in a mouliinex hairdryer and had us all questioning the rationale of picking Vertonghen ahead of Rose for that LWB role.

The second half, however, was the perfect footballing storm for us. Everything clicked. Poch made a couple of tactical tweaks, had the two WB's be more disciplined, seemed to switch from a 3412 to a 352 with Eriksen dropping in and helping to provide more control and playability in our midfield, and all of those things played a major part into turning this into an almost foot perfect half of football, but what galvanised everything, as is often the case in football, was a goal; And what a beautiful goal it was. Not just in it's final execution, but what made this goal all the more jismic for me was how it began. Pressing. Hard fucking pressing. This is when a Pochettino team is at it's best for me. Moura and Vertonghen put the squeeze on, Eriksen reads it and reinforces it, this time it's Dortmund coughing up the ball, it falls to Eriksen, he feeds Vertonghen, who curls in the most delicious ball to pick out the clever spinning movement of Son who finishes sublimely, using the power and curl of the pass to caress volley the ball into the corner of the net. It was football at it's most beautiful. So perfect, almost preternatural.

That goal was the catalyst that helped completely turn this game 360 degrees tactically. Now we didn't have to pursue the game, we didn't have to try and force it, it was our turn to be clever, suck them in and counter. And with the tactical changes Poch had made, we were now firmly in the driving seat.

This game became a tactical repetition of those Real Madrid, Dortmund, Liverpool at home games last year. The second half of this game followed those blue prints. Dortmund didn't know whether to twist or stick; Vertonghen and Aurier were much more positionally aware and disciplined second half, picking their moments when to advance, Eriksen was now doing his thing, popping up in pockets, quietly going about dictating things. Winks was the rock solid footballing hub of the midfield again (a player who's actually featured in nearly all of those previous games I mentioned) and even Sissoko had one of the best little 10 minute spells of football Ive seen him have in a Spurs shirt.

The second goal was as sexy. I love the way Sanchez steams into the press inside their half and forces their guy to cough it up again, it breaks to Aurier who does the best thing he's done in a Spurs shirt and puts in another delicious cross, this time met by the imperious Vertonghen who smashed home emphatically on the volley, just adding to that "perfect" buzz, as he'd been absolutely outstanding all half both with and without the ball. It's so rare that an unlikely goalscorer like him caps such an outstanding performance with a goal, and a cracking goal at that, it's one of football's nirvanas.

The third goal capped an outstanding second half performance, a rapier corner, zipped in perfectly by Eriksen, was met by Llorente, a Poch sub a few minutes prior.

Tactically we played the perfect 45 minutes of football.

Individual

Lloris - Good game.

Aurier - Awful first half, got his head straight second half and was better, great ball for the second goal.

Foyth - Got himself tied in knots a couple of times first half, excellent second half, both with and without the ball.

Sanchez - Under pressure first half, was great second half, great pressure for the second goal, love the way he uses his pace in defensive match ups.

Alderweireld - Good game.

Vertonghen - First half, Poch's tactics hung him out to dry a bit and Sancho gave him a torrid time. Second half he was imperious, his reading was superb, and he was pivotal in one of the best halve's of football we've played. If only Rose had his composure in forward areas. Such a technically accomplished footballer, so wonderfully fitting that he capped it by smashing home a volley. MOTM

Sissoko - Like a turtle in a windsock first half as the game spun around him, lucky not to be carded a couple of times for very clumsy challenges, but was decent second half, made a couple of runs that ended in a good pass instead of wanging it to oblivion. 30 passes, 81%, 9 forward, 0 Goals, 0 assists, 0 chances created, 4 attacking third passes, 4 tackles, 0 Interceptions, 8 ball recoveries

Winks - One of the few that was good first half, but was even better second. This kid has really improved what he does without the ball. Excellent game throughout. 67 passes, 93.1%, 24 forward, 0 Goals, 0 assists, 0 chances created, 9 attacking third passes, 4 tackles, 2 Interceptions, 8 ball recoveries

Eriksen - Struggling to operate in the hole behind the strikers first half, moved back into midfield second half and gradually set about conducting the orchestra around him, sweet music was made. Great second half. 44 passes, 86.3%, 17 forward, 0 Goals, 1 assists, 4 chances created, 17 attacking third passes, 0 tackles, 2 Interceptions, 4 ball recoveries

Son - I thought he was pretty poor first half, frittered away the few snippets of possession he had, and though he wasn't much more involved second half, he seemed more purposeful, the quality of his movement better, and scored a fabulous goal.

Moura - probably our most disappointing player on the night, completed 12 of 20 passes all game, has an unerring knack of running down blind alleys, but to be fair to him, this central role just does not get the best out of him.

Poch - Love what he installs in this team, even on a bad day he's given this team bollocks, but on a good day we get games like this, champions league music and football of the highest calibre. Great tweaks at half time, even his sub came on and scored two minutes later.

Last edited:
Vertonghen was exceptional. MOTM.

Winks was brilliant too, but that's becoming the norm. Sissoko had a really really good second half. It's crazy that even without two of our key players we can play such scintillating stuff and beat a very very good side by 3 goals to 0.

Going to paint a slightly different picture on the 'game-of-two-halves' ... We've been on the wrong end (far to often) of teams who have soaked up our pressure for 45 minutes only to beat us in the second half. It's classic Barca, Real, Juve and why they are perennial last four in the CL.

Today we turned the tables, first half we concentrated on keeping them at arms length, when you consider nearly all the chances they had in the first half came from us turning over the ball then we did that pretty well. Hugo made a couple of decent saves, but all were saves you would expect a quality keeper to make. I think this was a deliberate plan, keep the first half tight then move up (figuratively and literally) in the second.

A goal in the 47th minute helped, but that goal came about because perhaps for the first time in the match we pressed them way into their half, from then on we just crushed the life out off them.

Was this a 'poor' first half and a 'great' second half or was this a deliberate tactic? I'd like to think Poch has learned that you can't win a game in the first forty-five but you can lose it ... classic spursy !!!! ... that's just not us anymore.

We started the game pressing them and then inevitably dropped off and sometimes it felt like the timing of our press was off, we arrived a little late to the player and the ball had gone just before we arrived.
I'd break the first half down a little actually, we started better than them (5 mins), then it evened itself out (10 mins), then they got a grip of the game (15 mins), then we had a good spell of possession (5 mins), then they got on top again and closed the half out well (10 mins).

The early goal helped us out 2nd half...allowed us to sit and soak, calmed us down and rattled them, Eriksen dropped in and got on the ball more, we chose our moments to press and did it better and Toby especially covered Sancho more tightly when Jan got forward.

Mentally this Spurs team is so fucking strong, I've never seen another Spurs team like it in almost 40 years of watching us. Dortmund crumbled in a way we wouldn't, yes they were decimated with injuries but we've our own of course. Credit to everyone at the club, this puts a marker down to the rest of Europe and Liverpool and City - do not underestimate us (they don't of course but it sounds good and all those wanker pundits on Sky do so bollocks to em).

Lloris 6.5 solid
Aurier 6.5 adds more than tripps with 3 at the back
Sanchez 7
Foyth 7 so much potential
Toby 7.5 Sancho who?
Jan 8 sublime
Sissoko 7 bulwark
Winks 7.5 terrific
Son 7
Eriksen 7.5 put in a good shift, some of his passing was sexual
Moura 6, I think he doesn’t add enough, when he and Son ran at their Defence at one point he could have released to a 1 v 1. Moura just didn’t look what any of our front players would

Lloris 6.5 solid
Aurier 6.5 adds more than tripps with 3 at the back
Sanchez 7
Foyth 7 so much potential
Toby 7.5 Sancho who?
Jan 8 sublime
Sissoko 7 bulwark
Winks 7.5 terrific
Son 7
Eriksen 7.5 put in a good shift, some of his passing was sexual
Moura 6, I think he doesn’t add enough, when he and Son ran at their Defence at one point he could have released to a 1 v 1. Moura just didn’t look what any of our front players would
Agree. To be fair to Moura though, everything about his game is built off coming in from the wing. He has the pace to beat anyone over 20yds, then the longer legs run him down. Spent much of the game in the middle last night and got muscled out. Put a shift in though and was inches wide with that first effort

Lloris - 7 - in all honesty, didn't have alot to do but save from Zagadous header was vital.

Aurier - 7 - cleansheet and assist to his name. Still think he takes too long on the ball and error prone.

Foyth - 7 - real classy performance, going to be such a huge star for us at such a bargain price too.

Sanchez - 7 - he was much better in the second half as were the whole team.

Alderweireld - 7 - solid, still don't like him at left centre back though.

Vertonghen - 9 - what a performance. Assist, goal and a cleansheet. One of the best European nights by any Spurs player.

Sissoko - 7.5 - slow start to the game but was so good in the second half, took control and put in a mammoth shift.

Winks - 8 - talk about making the game your own. The way he continously controls a game and keeps things moving is brilliant. It's all well and good doing it against your Fulham and your Cardiff but this was supposedly one of the best teams in Europe. Excellent.

Eriksen - 7 - wasn't working in the first half when we was playing behind Son and Lucas, dropped deeper in the second half was much better. Lovely set piece delivery too I thought. Especially for the goal.

Son - 7.5 - you can tell they were scared of him
Again, a bit like Leicester he had a quiet game by his standard but still ended up with an important goal. Our player of the year by a distance.

Lucas - 6 - not good enough. Especially to start big and important games in my view. Impact sub to inject pace into a game.

Pochettino - 9 - a near on perfect display. Little chances helped tip the balance. Switching Sissoko and Winks in the first half, dropping Eriksen deeper in the second half and making sure we went to a flat back dive when defending all helped.

Last edited:
So Sissoko only played well for 10 mins
Lmfao

Most of the team were poor first half and I was relieved it was 0-0 and posted that I would have taken that at FT

Poch then made a few tweaks and Sissoko ran the show in midfield ably assisted by Winksy

Superb team performance in 2nd half

Verts MoM for me

Jan was ridiculously good. Other players had excellent 2nd halfs, but Jan stole the show and I'd give him an extra point just for the goal celebration.

Hugo 2nd for me, then maybe Winks, Son and Sissoko.

Going to paint a slightly different picture on the 'game-of-two-halves' ... We've been on the wrong end (far to often) of teams who have soaked up our pressure for 45 minutes only to beat us in the second half. It's classic Barca, Real, Juve and why they are perennial last four in the CL.

Today we turned the tables, first half we concentrated on keeping them at arms length, when you consider nearly all the chances they had in the first half came from us turning over the ball then we did that pretty well. Hugo made a couple of decent saves, but all were saves you would expect a quality keeper to make. I think this was a deliberate plan, keep the first half tight then move up (figuratively and literally) in the second.

A goal in the 47th minute helped, but that goal came about because perhaps for the first time in the match we pressed them way into their half, from then on we just crushed the life out off them.

Was this a 'poor' first half and a 'great' second half or was this a deliberate tactic? I'd like to think Poch has learned that you can't win a game in the first forty-five but you can lose it ... classic spursy !!!! ... that's just not us anymore.

Certainly tactical first half where both sides felt each other out, but Dortmund looked in control for about 20-26 minutes, Spurs in charge for maybe 10 minutes with the other 10-15 minutes pretty even. And Dortmund had chances, we didn't.

So yes Spurs had a poor first half - but at the same time could see what Dortmund could do, Poch made a few tweaks at half time, the biggest of which was to unleash a masterclass LWB called Vertonghen that Dortmund had clearly never seen before, and with other Spurs players also raising their game Spurs had one of the most dominant 2nd halves against a 'big' club that I've ever seen.

I'm sure that Dortmund thought that LWB was a weak link before the match with no Rose or Davies, and just couldn't react or cope with the powerful wing play from Vertonghen in the 2ns half. And instead of Sancho giving the LWB a tough time (as happened in the first half), Sancho was forced into the middle and almost invisible in the 2nd half.

So bus-conductor bus-conductor has the broad description of the match correct ! Even if a few details can be quibbled over

Back
Top Bottom