Do we need a DoF?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But why would you want quicker and smoother transfers if the average signing was less likely to be of use?

You’ve obviously not read my post.

I wasn’t suggesting we get a DOF to pick players necessarily (however good or bad they are as players if the manager not keen on them they probably won’t be of much use) but simply to get the deals done!!

It would be nice to have a Baldini type subordinate to Poch. The reality is that juggling 4 competitions, everything that goes into training, fitness, player selection, asking a manager to also handle heavy lifting in regards to player recruitment is probably a bit much.

Ostensibly, this is (one of) Levy's role(s). But Levy is also charged with the stadium, commercial deals, real estate development of the club's company, etc. etc. etc.

So the manager has too much on, and Levy has too much on. Well, the head of scouting is the logical man to be in charge of finding players that meet Poch's needs and Levy's budget, of course. Well Steve Hitchen/Paul Mitchell/David Pleat types may know footballers when they see them...but they don't have the contacts list and relationships with the movers and shakers in the game like the Baldini's of the world do.

I absolutely think there's a place in the club for this role. The trouble in filling it being that most who are proven at it will balk to having to be subordinate to Poch's choosing and Levy's financing, and anyone without a track record who is successful will soon find himself lured by more control.

Ideally things would work as such: Levy tells Poch and DoF that we have £40M to spend plus sales. Poch tells Steve Hitchen he needs a first choice MF and a first choice RB, plus cover at CF and CB. DoF says that he can get offload Janssen and Llorente for (make believe) £15M and will get £25M for Toby, setting a budget of £80M. Scouting submits their list of players fitting Poch's asks, and Poch and DoF set about spending the £80M in the most productive way possible according to Poch. At some point the DoF is alerted by an agent that a player like Isco could be had - but its outside the budget.

First he determines if Poch even wants the player, and if he does, they together go hat in hand to Levy who will determine if the club can afford it.

Realistically, this is how every stable and successful business is run. The idea that a manager, or DoF, or Chairman can fill all the duties necessary is pretty absurd.

Bit harsh on Chadli there, did a job for us and cost only 7m. The 14/15 season he was great and scored a bunch.
While true, I still don’t put him in that bracket of a player that helped us achieve something or had bags of potential.
Had decent spells, and is way above Paulinho and Soldado...but not for me.
Just another ok benchwarmer, but yes, good for the price

While true, I still don’t put him in that bracket of a player that helped us achieve something or had bags of potential.
Had decent spells, and is way above Paulinho and Soldado...but not for me.
Just another ok benchwarmer, but yes, good for the price
I would prefer him over Llorente any day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom