Do we need a DoF?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting claim in the transfer thread where someone says the club "fucked up" when Baldini left. He started an interesting topic for debate, but ran off because somebody disagreed and challenged his logic. His loss, I thought it was a good point.

Personally I dont agree with that though and heres why:

Signings under Baldini:
Davies, Dier, Dele, Eriksen, Vorm, Soldado, Lamela, Stambouli, Paulinho, Chadli, Capoue, Vlad, Fazio and Yedlin

Signings post Baldini:
Wanyama, Sanchez, Son, Moura, Toby, Foyth, Sissoko, Trippier, Gazzaniga, Aurier, Janssen, Llorente, GKN, Njie

Ive highlighted who I consider to be succesfull signings when taking into account all or some of price, contribution and potential.

In light of how clear its become that Pochettino has played a massive part in us not signing anyone, would people want a DoF back? For me that would see Poch leave, as he wants control, but for those who feel our lack of signings means we are stagnating/a pathetic joke, would you be happy for Levy to force a "Baldini" on Poch, in order to get deals done.

As you can see by the players listed, Im not sure where this idea has sprung up from (because the poster who said it, refuses to discuss further), so if anyone agrees with the notion that the club "fucked up" when Baldini left, maybe they could share some thoughts?

Irrespective of the supposed quality/success of those signings, my lasting memory of the Baldini era was that signings got done, generally quicker and smoother (admittedly who the fuck knows about what goes on behind closed doors). As such, wherever they sit within the Poch/Levy hierarchy I do believe we’d benefit from some kind of “fixer” type.

Irrespective of the supposed quality/success of those signings, my lasting memory of the Baldini era was that signings got done, generally quicker and smoother (admittedly who the fuck knows about what goes on behind closed doors). As such, wherever they sit within the Poch/Levy hierarchy I do believe we’d benefit from some kind of “fixer” type.

But why would you want quicker and smoother transfers if the average signing was less likely to be of use?

Well something has to change with our recruitment
The last 2 or 3 windows have been nothing short of farcical
Further testament to the manager and players we do have that they have managed to remain fairly consistent I guess

I think when you are churning through managers like we were before Poch, a DoF makes sense. It gives some consistency to the squad-building despite the frequent firing of managers.

Once you have someone in place for half a decade like Poch, you need to let them have control. He has implemented a clear style of football and a more professional culture, he is the best person to decide whether a new player will fit in or not.

A DoF who has to defer to the manager on every signing is redundant, he would be a glorified scout.

Further testament to the manager and players we do have that they have managed to remain fairly consistent I guess

But surely the point here is that a lot of what happened in those windows seem to be the managers choice. He wants who he wants or nobody.
Would you be happier if someone was signed above his head?

While it could end up being the exact signing we need (and Poch himself could end up pleasantly and hugely suprised, and learn something from it) I feel its dangerous water, as he may feel undermined.

Why is it farcical? I would understand if we signed no-one and went backwards. But we signed no-one and went forwards. more point than last season at this stage. Until a week ago still in every cup. Whats gone wrong?

But surely the point here is that a lot of what happened in those windows seem to be the managers choice. He wants who he wants or nobody.
Would you be happier if someone was signed above his head?

While it could end up being the exact signing we need (and Poch himself could end up pleasantly and hugely suprised, and learn something from it) I feel its dangerous water, as he may feel undermined.
It's a good point and I definitely don't want players signed above poch's head but at the same time do we just resign ourselves to never signing players again because we can't afford the top bracket ones that Poch wants ?
I personally think that our scouting setup is an issue that needs to be fixed , maybe we are too unimaginative in the transfer market ?

Why is it farcical? I would understand if we signed no-one and went backwards. But we signed no-one and went forwards. more point than last season at this stage. Until a week ago still in every cup. Whats gone wrong?
I will admit that we have managed to stay consistent over that period but would you agree the majority of signings haven't worked out ? And if I was to say that over the next 3 windows we see similar results in terms of signings would you be confident about our position ? Because I know I wouldn't

I personally think that our scouting setup is an issue that needs to be fixed , maybe we are too unimaginative in the transfer market ?

To be fair it must be difficult when academy potential from other clubs is being mooted at 40M, and your own fans lap it up, but want your head on a stick if you just promote your own kids

I don't know about a DOF but if you try and take all the rumours and find a middle ground it seems like we don't have much money, the market is crazy and Poch is picky. All three of which seem reasonable.

So whilst not a dof maybe our scouts should be held to account and find players Poch does want. It's not like the manager isn't holding up his side of the bargain.

But who knows? It could all be bollocks.

Interesting claim in the transfer thread where someone says the club "fucked up" when Baldini left. He started an interesting topic for debate, but ran off because somebody disagreed and challenged his logic. His loss, I thought it was a good point.

Signings under Baldini:
Davies, Dier, Dele, Eriksen, Vorm, Soldado, Lamela, Stambouli, Paulinho, Chadli, Capoue, Vlad, Fazio and Yedlin

Signings post Baldini:
Wanyama, Sanchez, Son, Moura, Toby, Foyth, Sissoko, Trippier, Gazzaniga, Aurier, Janssen, Llorente, GKN, Njie

Ive highlighted who I consider to be succesfull signings when taking into account all or some of price, contribution and potential.

In light of how clear its become that Pochettino has played a massive part in us not signing anyone, would people want a DoF back? For me that would see Poch leave, as he wants control, but for those who feel our lack of signings means we are stagnating/a pathetic joke, would you be happy for Levy to force a "Baldini" on Poch, in order to get deals done.

As you can see by the players listed, Im not sure where this idea has sprung up from (because the poster who said it, refuses to discuss further), so if anyone agrees with the notion that the club "fucked up" when Baldini left, maybe they could share some thoughts?

Id say Chadli and Stambouli were successful. They were cheap and did a good job.

The Poch signings were also more expensive and we had a higher profile at the time. Instead of Chadli, we are now signing bench players like Moura.

Signings under Baldini:

Signings post Baldini:

Yes I would want a DOF back but not against Poch's wishes, on your Baldini list I thought Chadil was a success, AVB wasn't happy with Baldini's signings but he agreed to them so he has no complaints. Poch also agreed to signings included those of Stambouli and Fazio, Sissoko was looking like a 30 million mistake up until this season. Our scouting network is a joke, Poch reading between the lines doesn't think our previous model that got us to this point is a good enough to win us trophies and that's a problem. It seems he's really only looking for experienced players that have no resell value, I wouldn't be surprised if we buy no players again this summer.

Back
Top Bottom