Do the powers that be want VAR to fail?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'Clear and obvious' was a sham from the beginning because they don't look at the incidents objectively to adjudge whether they were clearly and obviously a foul. Instead it's deciding whether it's excusable for the referee to have made their call irrespective of it being correct or incorrect, so just validating their decisions. The exception to this is offsides, which are decided with questionable logic and methods.

If subjectivity is allowed then there is zero consistency in how rules are applied, which means that we get different outcomes not just between matches but within individual games. The lack of clarity and transparency on how each decision is being made means that the PL can change the rules however they see fit from match to match, which is incredibly dangerous.

'Clear and obvious' was a sham from the beginning because they don't look at the incidents objectively to adjudge whether they were clearly and obviously a foul. Instead it's deciding whether it's excusable for the referee to have made their call irrespective of it being correct or incorrect, so just validating their decisions. The exception to this is offsides, which are decided with questionable logic and methods.

If subjectivity is allowed then there is zero consistency in how rules are applied, which means that we get different outcomes not just between matches but within individual games. The lack of clarity and transparency on how each decision is being made means that the PL can change the rules however they see fit from match to match, which is incredibly dangerous.

Exactly. These PL refs had these bullshit clauses inserted into VAR rules to protect their fragile egos. Basically gutted VAR of any efficacy or credibility.

They are mucking it up because they are trying to use it on totally the wrong way. They think that they can get every decision correct by the use of VAR which is ridiculous and never what it was intended to be used for.

It's still not too late to use it properly...... All they have to do is get the VAR ref's to ask themselves "Is it a clear and obvious error by the ref"

99 percent of the time, the answer will be no which is how it should be.

VAR should be there to overturn absolute howler decisions - if used correctly it would probably only be used 10 times in a season.

Exactly. These PL refs had these bullshit clauses inserted into VAR rules to protect their fragile egos. Basically gutted VAR of any efficacy or credibility.
I listen to a few European podcasts, an Italian and a Spanish. They are mainly against VAR,

Honestly I don't watch enough and are using their opinion but imo what it takes away more than it gives.

I wasn't totally against it when it was first introduced, but I am now. It would be one thing if it was used in those rare moments when there is a blatant offside or handball that the ref didn't notice. However, it's being used to check decisions that could be ruled either way, that goal we scored against Leicester which was ruled as an offside by a millimeter is an example. For close decisions like that there should be a rule that's always applied, say if a supposed offside decision is to close to be clearly called an offside, it should always be given in benefit to the team that's defending. VAR was supposed to eliminate or mitigate some decisions which could be seen as arbitrary , but so far it has failed in doing so. That's without mentioning how awfully it is presented to the fans in the ground. who most times can't even see the replay of the play that is being analyzed.

There should be a timer for the people in the VAR room. They have 30 seconds to decide whether to tell the referee to check the monitor, if they can’t come to a decision then play on. The referee on the pitch has to make a decision in 1 second so why should the VAR people get 3 minutes?

I agree with Poch in that the referee on the pitch should always be the boss. If he’s made a clear mistake then it should not take 3 minutes to tell him that, after 30 seconds he goes to the monitor and inspects the replay. He then has 30 seconds to change his decision if he wishes. There is no need to look at a million different angles in slow motion, either the decision was clearly wrong or not.

We don't need that monitor thing, that just delays things even further and is only there to massage the referee's ego's so they can be seen to still being the one to make the call.

There are three PL referees getting to watch it in slow motion from various angles, if they make the call the pitch ref should just defer and they need top stop worrying about a bullshit "threshold" which is entirely about preserving the "status" of the on pitch ref, when what VAR should be about is simply making the best decision, not deciding how "close" to the right decision the on pitch ref was.

I like VAR for relooking at offsides as long as it doesn’t take too long to review. However........ all the hand ball calls are getting a bit much. Sure the ball hits a hand now and again but most of the time it comes down to judgement call on intent.

The worst part for me is the muted celebrations when a goal is scored. Instead of jumping off your seat and ending up 8 rows in front of you, it’s a quick “yes” and then looking at the ref to see if he has his finger to his ear in prep of reviewing the goal.

I absolutely hate it from a supporters point of view.

I would much rather see a scoring system in place for refs. Every wrong decisions they make, they get points which would see them reffing in the lower leagues as a result.
I am a million percent certain that refs have agendas with certain clubs and deliberately give decisions against the,. A point system would cut that out and also would get rid of VAR which literally is killing the game.

The disallowing of goals for being offside by millimetres (0urs v Leicester, Firmino v Villa) are mentally stupid and the wrong way round.
It should be daylight between striker and last defender, to encourage attacking play, not penalise it.

I'd prefer it to be used only for offside (with clear daylight being the margin) and penalty decisions that are clear and obvious mistakes.
Or, as in cricket, give each captain three opportunities per match to call for a review, once theyre used up that's it. It would make it an interesting part of the game and do away with the 'computer says no' scenario that is destroying the spectacle for us all at present.

It is the rules that need to be looked at. The reason handball is not allowed is that it gives an unfair advantage. Therefore if someone uses a hand to control the ball or say it hits a hand and deflects when a goal would have been saved then that is handball. It should not be deemed handball if it touches a hand and there is no advantage to the defence. Likewise penalty claims, you often hear the commentator state there was contact. Surely that contact should have to be enough to stop the attacker to be a penalty. Offside is again a rule to stop attackers gaining an advantage by standing near the goal but if it takes over a minute to establish a small part of the body is nearer the goal then that is not an advantage and should not be given.
The VAR officials should be given a time limit to review and if they cannot decide within that time then the original decision stands.

I bet in 5 years time we will have a vote for/against button on the Sky subscribtion. Like a fat fuck never kicked a ball will decide.

Interesting VAR decision yesterday evening. Clear cut penalty to City(hands).
Then Liverpool goes on the counter attack and scores.

Back
Top Bottom