Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Second half against Ajax, second leg. But no.....nothing else springs to mind.
Are you rating his 'assists' that were a) a ball stolen off him by Lucas after his bumbling and b) a pass meant for another player that his teammate(s) recognized and even his manager does (football.london article where Rose informs Poch the 3rd goal was a pass meant for Llorente)?

The revisionist history in this thread is unbelievable by the way.

Go read 258-290 in this thread, which is August 2018 - early March this year when he got back from his hamstring injury that kept him out 7 weeks.

But he’s been shit for years apparently.

Go read my comments in autumn 2017.....revisionist my arse.

Most people didn’t want to see it and felt compelled to back the player. Fair enough.

But 2 years on and its undeniable how far he’s fallen. Go and watch a montage from 2016 and tell me this is the player we see today.

Apparently he just needs time. I thought he just needed the summer and this season he’d be back all guns blazing.....

A blast from the past, I’ve highlighted the key portion.

I’m going to back some of what you say here....he didn’t have a good tournament, and we’ve seen Dele play like this for us too.

However he was injured in the first game, and should have been (wait for it) rotated way more.

He is growing up as a player, but by clipping his wings, we’ve lost the spark.
I don’t think we’ll ever see that kid from the first two breakthrough years and that’s a tragedy, but what we will see is a more disciplined refined version, with moments of magic, and more team play.

Dele literally, literally does exactly this last year by playing deeper, breaking up play and contributing with more all around team play. Also has a 13 goals and assists pace in the league if he played the entire season, which while lower than the 20+ he had been been producing before, is still good for deeper midfielder and the fact that Son and Lucas have stepped up their goal tallies significantly means he will naturally score less in that setup.

TOTAL SHIT GUYS CLEARLY.

First start back from a 3.5 month layoff. Only thing that will do Dele in is his hamstring in my opinion. If he’s still in poor form going into the November international break, then I will be concerned, because that will be the first prolonged stretch of him actually playing poorly when fully fit. He needs to be reintegrated with the squad and Poch needs to figure out how best to use him, because he’s too good not to be a major contributor in one way or another.

Dele literally, literally does exactly this last year by playing deeper, breaking up play and contributing with more all around team play. Also has a 13 goals and assists pace in the league if he played the entire season, which while lower than the 20+ he had been been producing before, is still good for deeper midfielder and the fact that Son and Lucas have stepped up their goal tallies significantly means he will naturally score less in that setup.

TOTAL SHIT GUYS CLEARLY.

First start back from a 3.5 month layoff. Only thing that will do Dele in is his hamstring in my opinion. If he’s still in poor form going into the November international break, then I will be concerned, because that will be the first prolonged stretch of him actually playing poorly when fully fit. He needs to be reintegrated with the squad and Poch needs to figure out how best to use him, because he’s too good not to be a major contributor in one way or another.

I posted that in July 2018:

He hasnt grown into what I thought he would though

TOTAL SHIT GUYS CLEARLY.

I guarantee that when we revisit this thread in December you'll have a different excuse

The thing that defined peak Dele was that nasty little edge to his game, he'd get in peoples faces, fly into tackles, niggle and ok occasionally that got him sent off, but so be it.
I thought to myself we have a winner here, this is how winners act, see Roy Keane.

But all that has gone from his game, I can't believe that's down to Poch as I think Poch would appreciate that kind of fire and not want to extinguish it.
Could be Gareth Beige and the England setup? perhaps.

I think its probably his life outside of football if I had to hazard a guess.

but without that edge he just isn't the same player anymore, its like a pale shadow

If he’s still in poor form going into the November international break, then I will be concerned, because that will be the first prolonged stretch of him actually playing poorly when fully fit.
No you won't. This is just another denial tactic. You will find another excuse to continue to believe what you have already convinced yourself of presently. It will be until the evidence is so profound, in such an abundance so as to make you look foolish before you accept the reality that is before you. People don't move from denial to reasoned acceptance in the way you are stating. They move from denial to irrational anger because they feel then the player has let them down. It's a way to avoid saying "I was wrong".

Same way it went with Tripps (and every other player that wasn't good enough or whose qualities were not a good fit) and why he got all the irrational hate. Rational folks have already accepted that Dele has been on a downward slide of performances/production. And really keen observers have noted that he was never quite the player that his goal contributions would suggest. And that's why those folks are not really all that surprised at what's being served up now.

Just look at this weekend. We had 1 good 45 minutes and the same morons popping up and calling out folks like the team has turned a corner and the last 6 months of truly relegation league form didn't occur. And this was because of just 45 minutes of decent play against a team that we shouldn't really be worried about.

Reasonable people would say that in order to erase the previous 6 months of awful play I would want to see 3, 4, 5 or 6 months of good play. Nope! One half erases it all. lol.

So no, you won't be that reasonable on this subject. He'll head one in at the backpost this weekend and you'll be singing with the rest "where are the haters now. told you Dele was great". And that 1 goal will hold you until Christmas. And then he'll do something else positive and you'll be happy to give him another year of unquestioned 'support' thus pitting you against the other group of impure haters. It's amazing how tribal purity always reduces to 1.

Oh shit, you posted something? Wow, I think I’ll look at the literally hundreds other posts, articles, and statistics from last season where people are saying he is great and indispensable.

The fact is that Dele played well from August until he went out injured in early February. He played in a much deeper role due to our lack of midfield options, which meant his goals and assists went down, but his midfield work (pressures, buildup) increased. Since March he hasn’t had a run of matches to get into form, mostly due to injuries (broken hand in April, hamstring in August).

So now a few months of getting back to match fitness as turned into a few years of being shit by a vocal minority. If you want to say his reoccurring hamstring injury is an issue then that’s one thing. But the fact of the matter if that Dele has been a bang on starter for 4 years for a good reason - he’s one of the best young midfielders in the world, and he has been for a long time.
He's playing shit and has been for ages. I was desperate for us to sign Bruno Fernandes in the transfer window as an (effective) replacement for Dele.

he hasn't had a lot of playing time? I tend to give players the benefit of the doubt but agree that he needs to buck up his ideas, Saturday would be a good start.
I see where you coming from but no time for kindness and nicety, we need a good decent performance on Saturday, drop him and let him prove his worth against Colchester next week.

The thing that defined peak Dele was that nasty little edge to his game, he'd get in peoples faces, fly into tackles, niggle and ok occasionally that got him sent off, but so be it.
I thought to myself we have a winner here, this is how winners act, see Roy Keane.

But all that has gone from his game, I can't believe that's down to Poch as I think Poch would appreciate that kind of fire and not want to extinguish it.
Could be Gareth Beige and the England setup? perhaps.

I think its probably his life outside of football if I had to hazard a guess.

but without that edge he just isn't the same player anymore, its like a pale shadow
To me it was his telepathic relationship with Kane that defined him. He had a lot of injuries last season. I'm hoping he finds his form as peak Dele makes spurs a joy to watch. I do miss his nasty streak too though.

Back
Top Bottom