Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier and Wanyama not last year they were not and injured most of it. I agree that Dele should not play DM but given the options there was not much choice.

Skipp I cant really comment on - I am not sure anyone with confidence.

Dele didn't play DM once for us last season and if he did it was rare.

I wouldn't expect him to do so. We have Dier, Wanyama and sadly Winks for that position. All of which have been chosen to play there over him and rightly so.

You dont get it which is weird....Winks is better in CM than Dele. Winks was taken off.
Moura is better than Dele as an AM. Moura is behind Dele.

Dele was ahead of Son when Son was tearing the shit out Dortmund in the CL at the start of 2017 (when Dele was suspended). Despite being shit in the PL, he was still first choice ahead of Son, when we were playing a front three.
Ditto Lamela.

NONE of you wanted Dele dropped. He has been played ahead of form players, so you can try and create a situation where the only other option was Dier (who is still better than Dele in CM) but its not the case.

Winks is better in CM than Dele. Never said he wasn't. I am also aware Winks was taken off and I already told you Eriksen was the one took his place in deep midfield. Very debatable whether or not Lucas is a better AM than Dele and I'm also not sure Moura is behind Dele either. He would have started if Kane didn't.

Son, with his whopping 3 goals in his opening 14 games in the 17/18 season is form?

Whilst Dele had 5 goals and 1 assist in less games (due to his CL suspension) ?

Not sure what you're getting at here. Has Dele been preferred to Son at times in the past? Most likely. He can play in a variety of positions in many different formations. 3 at the back with 1 up front, Dele can play in one of the AM positions. 4231? Can play in one behind the attacker. 433? Dele can play in a midfield 3.

Luckily that's changed to the point where Son has played up top with Kane now.

I wouldn't expect him to do so. We have Dier, Wanyama and sadly Winks for that position. All of which have been chosen to play there over him and rightly so.

Winks is better in CM than Dele. Never said he wasn't. I am also aware Winks was taken off and I already told you Eriksen was the one took his place in deep midfield. Very debatable whether or not Lucas is a better AM than Dele and I'm also not sure Moura is behind Dele either. He would have started if Kane didn't.

Son, with his whopping 3 goals in his opening 14 games in the 17/18 season is form?

i misread your point - as you were.

I think Poch has the knowledge but I also think he has made countless costly errors down the years regarding Eriksen, Dele and Kane.
He has stuck with them when they´ve been garbage, and thats nothing but poor management, and sends out an awful signal to the rest of the squad.
Probably why Townsend lost his shit at them
I get what you mean that he does place a lot of faith in some players without dropping them. He does need to change an approach and man manage players when they are out of form. Managing the ego's is a big part of the game when players are benched. He has stuck by them because he believes their form is around the corner, we dont have many options though which forces his hand. Hopefully Lamela is fit this season (LOL) and can challenge them. Eriksen is a goner and he will be replaced...we hope he is replaced anyway!. Dele will have a full summer to recover and hopefully he will see his form return. I think Dele's biggest problem is finding his best position, we cant build the team around him, he has to find his own place.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Has Dele been preferred to Son at times in the past? Most likely. He can play in a variety of positions in many different formations. 3 at the back with 1 up front, Dele can play in one of the AM positions. 4231? Can play in one behind the attacker. 433? Dele can play in a midfield 3.

Luckily that's changed to the point where Son has played up top with Kane now.

Why don’t we have a look at Sons minutes played instead of trying to make the stats work for you shall we.....

Son played 90 minutes twice in his opening 14 games.....22 minutes here, 60 minute there, the odd half hour etc.

Dele played 90 minutes eleven times in his first 14 games.

Right, so how's that Dele being chosen ahead of Son? Especially Dele coming off the back of the greatest season in his career.

Have you SEEN the formations and line ups we played within those 14 games?

Sissoko played started EIGHT times in his opening 14 games in the 17/18 season. A lot of the time ahead of Son in the starting eleven too.

Or is Sissoko not allowed to be criticised any more, even though he was bang average during the 17/18 season?

Last edited:
Right, so how's that Dele being chosen ahead of Son? Especially Dele coming off the back of the greatest season in his career.

Have you SEEN the formations and line ups we played within those 14 games?

Sissoko played 90 minutes EIGHT times in his opening 14 games in the 17/18 season.

Or is Sissoko not allowed to be criticised any more, even though he was bang average during the 17/18 season?

Whats Sissoko got to do with it? He was largely playing as a utility, and certainly not competing with the AMs.
I rated Sissoko in 2017 before it was trendy mate, try again on that one.

Dele was crap in the autumn of 2017. You didnt want him dropped, and two years later are still justifying him playing ahead of better players. So why the fuck do you want players signed that will end up replacing in form players like Winks and Sissoko, but not Dele?

Just a very bizarre outlook

Whats Sissoko got to do with it? He was largely playing as a utility, and certainly not competing with the AMs.
I rated Sissoko in 2017 before it was trendy mate, try again on that one.

Dele was crap in the autumn of 2017. You didnt want him dropped, and two years later are still judo want stifying him playing ahead of better players. So why the fuck do you want players signed that will end up replacing in form players like Winks and Sissoko, but Dele

Because Sissoko was in the starting eleven ahead of Son too. Mostly playing on the wing where Son should have been playing or in the centre where Dele should have been playing and instead taking up a spot in the eleven, denying Son from starting.

Sissoko started 8 of our opening 14 games that season. Scored 1 goal and got 1 assist.
Son started 7 of our opening 14 games that season. Scored 3 goals and got 0 assists.
Dele started 11 of our opening 14 games that season. Scored 5 goals and got 1 assist.

Son was crap in the Autumn of 2017 too, like he is every single year during Autumn.

I didn't want Dele dropped after 14 games of a new season (involving 5 goals and assist). I wanted Sissoko dropped so Son can start and for us to fuck off the 3 at the back so we can go back to 4231.

I want players who will improve our starting eleven.

Son was crap in the Autumn of 2017 too, like he is every single year during Autumn.

Yeah total crap, and definitly deserved to be dropped after that...

:pochfacepalm:

Because Sissoko was in the starting eleven ahead of Son too. Mostly playing on the wing where Son should have been playing or in the centre where Dele should have been playing and instead taking up a spot in the eleven, denying Son from starting.
Sissoko AND Son should have played.....but Dele has a free pass to play crap for months on end, while others dont.

I want players who will improve our starting eleven.

And replacing poor performers will do that, regardless of their name, or what they did in 2015

Yeah total crap, and definitly deserved to be dropped after that...

:pochfacepalm:

Sissoko AND Son should have played.....but Dele has a free pass to play crap for months on end, while others dont.

And replacing poor performers will do that, regardless of their name, or what they did in 2015

By the way. He started the very next game against Swansea. And done fuck all.

He's been with us for over 4 years now woah seems nuts.

Give him another season at least if he continuous to fuck up then it's time for him to go.

No chance. Dele is still in his development years and he's had a lot thrown at him. This year he's had to play far deeper than he's used to, as has Eriksen due to the lack of Dembele in our midfield. With Harry missing more games this season as well there as a lot of variables that need to be taken into account with not just Dele but a lot of our squad.

If he has another season next year like he has this I'm sure the questions about him will intensify and rightly so but I'd be very disappointed to see the club move him on when they've given the likes of Lamela far longer to prove his worth.

I'd rather have Dele as DM than Dier and fucking Wanyama. Those 2 on current form wouldn't even start for Brighton. Should be flogged this summer.

I think we can all agree that Dele is not the type of a player that can take the game by the scruff of the neck. He will never be a talisman nor world class but he can play the supporting role very well.

For him to have a good game, he will always need better players around him(like Kane, Eriksen, Dembele) to play well.

We have enough changes forced upon us or more urgent this window and Dele has a long contract, is homegrown and not known to want to leave and therefore is staying.

By the way. He started the very next game against Swansea. And done fuck all.

Yeah another game with 75% possession and 26 shots but no goals.....apparently it was all Dier, Trippier and Sissokos fault though....Dele played the 90 by the way, just behind Kane and did fuck all too.

Son got subbed, as per, and played 3 minutes the next game....guess how many Dele played.

We have enough changes forced upon us or more urgent this window and Dele has a long contract, is homegrown and not known to want to leave and therefore is staying.

Ive said it a few times that I would keep him.
What I dont get is the notion that anyone signed should be with the aim of contuining to play Dele alongside them, while dropping players like Winks and Sissoko who have been fucking heroes.

We should be signing players who are a direct threat to Dele's holier than thou place in this team....in this squad. Id sign someone with the sole purpose of not having to pick Dele for as long as it takes him to get himself sorted.

If he plays as well as he can from the bench and in the Carabou, then let him force his way back.
If he sulks about it, fuck him off in January and keep strengthening the team with people who want it.

Back
Top Bottom