Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think Dele has ever played at the expense of Winks.

Skipp is 18 years old and Dier is shit.

So I'd argue our depth probably was an issue or Dele wouldn't have been pushed deeper.

So you mean when Winks was taken off in the final even though he was our best player, and Dele was dropped into his position so we could bring Moura on, rather than just sub Dele.....it wasn’t at Winks expense?

Not the first time either.

And Skipp, Wanyama and Dier are all better than Dele in CM

Dele has set high standards. He is still young and i am certain he will be back to his best next season. And to a previous poster, Harry Kane must NEVER EVER be dropped. He is 1 who must play every game possible. Reason. If you get 1 chance in a game, He is the one who i would want it to fall to. Oh and he is God. Dele thread anyway.....

Yeah god forbid we bench Kane and win the Champions League

but during the season, when it was suggested Dele or Eriksen should be benched, people were quick to start saying how they were playing well and only an idiot would drop them.

A further comment on the state of the squad after last summer.

They were impossible to drop regardless of performance because who to bring in, Wanyama, Skipp, Amos, Dier, Lamela?

None of them played well but there were no replacements due to the limited squad depth and an injury crisis.

A further comment on the state of the squad after last summer.

They were impossible to drop regardless of performance because who to bring in, Wanyama, Skipp, Amos, Dier, Lamela?

None of them played well but there were no replacements due to the limited squad depth and an injury crisis.

Wanyama, Lamela, Skipp, Llorente and Moura could have all been used in rotation with Eriksen and Dele over the course of the season.

Who do people want on the bench ffs? Hazard and de Bruyne?

Last edited:
So you mean when Winks was taken off in the final even though he was our best player, and Dele was dropped into his position so we could bring Moura on, rather than just sub Dele.....it wasn’t at Winks expense?

Not the first time either.

And Skipp, Wanyama and Dier are all better than Dele in CM

It was Eriksen who was dropped into his position, not Dele.

Dier, Wanyama and Skipp are better than Dele in DM.

We should have rotated more throughout the season. No one would disagree. I do think most would agree that our depth is absolute wank though.

Dele playing CM isn't some sort of new concept. He played there almost every single week for MK Dons. Played there more than enough times in his debut season for us. Played it a few times in his most successful season with us in 16/17 (Though with a prime Wanyama behind him). Played there in 17/18, most notably when we bossed Liverpool 4-1 at Wembley and beat Madrid 3-1 at Wembley and of course his recent season.

Last edited:
It was Eriksen who was dropped into his position, not Dele.
Yet it was Dele hauled off ten minutes later so still a shite substitution and Winks should have stayed on over both of them.

No one would disagree. I do think most would agree that our depth is absolute wank though.

Our midfield and attacking depth at the start of last season was Winks, Sissoko, Moura, Llorente, Son, Wanyama and Lamela (if our first choice CM pairing was to be Dier and Dembele)

Call it wank all you like, they are the players who can hold their heads up high this season, not Eriksen and Dele

Last edited:
Yet it was Dele hauled off ten minutes later so still a shite substitution and Winks should have stayed on over both of them.

Our midfield depth at the start of last season was Winks, Sissoko, Moura, Llorente, Son, Wanyama and Lamela (if our first choice CM pairing was to be Dier and Dembele)

Call it wank all you like, they are the players who can hold their heads up high this season, not Eriksen and Dele
Winks obviously was always only going to be given 60 odd mins because of his return to injury. Being negligent over his recovery could cause major issues going forward for him. Poch wouldn't have taken him off for any other reason, well, maybe tiredness too after not playing for a few months.

Our midfield depth at the start of last season was Winks, Sissoko, Moura, Llorente, Son, Wanyama and Lamela (if our first choice CM pairing was to be Dier and Dembele)

I imagine Pochs reasoning was that Winks adds fuck all to our attack and Eriksen and Dele have shown that they can score or assist in big games. Not to mention he had just come back from injury. The first part being the exact same reason Kane was probably kept on.

I also don't believe any of those players bar perhaps 3 would get in to any team that finished above us based on the season just gone. Certainly something to improve on this summer. Let's hope.

Winks obviously was always only going to be given 60 odd mins because of his return to injury. Being negligent over his recovery could cause major issues going forward for him. Poch wouldn't have taken him off for any other reason, well, maybe tiredness too after not playing for a few months.

Haha......but Kane deserved 95 minutes

I imagine Pochs reasoning was that Winks adds fuck all to our attack and Eriksen and Dele have shown that they can score or assist in big games.

Well his reasoning should have been that the player playing like shit needed to go off in a straight swap for Moura.
We were dominating the game, but falling flat every time Dele had a chance to open them up.

Crap sub, crap reasoning and just goes to show that depth means little when certain players have license to play rubbish

Well his reasoning should have been that the player playing like shit needed to go off in a straight swap for Moura.
We were dominating the game, but falling flat every time Dele had a chance to open them up.

Crap sub, crap reasoning and just goes to show that depth means little when certain players have license to play rubbish

We pretty much done the exact same away at the Nou Camp when we also needed something from the game. We were dominating, our attacking players were flubbing their lines, yet we decided to take Winks off as well as KWP to get as many attackers on the pitch at the same time and it paid off.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's too bad.

Crap sub? In hindsight, of course it was. We ended up conceding another and losing.

We pretty much done the exact same away at the Nou Camp when we also needed something from the game. We were dominating, our attacking players were flubbing their lines, yet we decided to take Winks off as well as KWP to get as many attackers on the pitch at the same time and it paid off.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's too bad.

Crap sub? In hindsight, of course it was. We ended up conceding another and losing.

Its not hindsight for those of us who think Dele has been crap for two seasons and doesnt deserve his undroppable status though.

Its not hindsight for those of us who think Dele has been crap for two seasons and doesnt deserve his undroppable status though.

I'm sure you'll probably find some people who wanted him subbed in the second leg of the Ajax semi final at some point before he had a huge hand in getting us through.

We all said he should have been subbed over Winks in the final. He wasn't. Boo hoo.

Yeah god forbid we bench Kane and win the Champions League
Mate you still sour about it? Me too lol.

There is a who for the next prime minister thread in this site somewhere I saw and went in once and I was surprised it didn't have Harry Kane as a candidate. The way we started and kept him for the bitter end virtually on his one ankle I sure thought to see him on the sheet

I'm sure you'll probably find some people who wanted him subbed in the second leg of the Ajax semi final at some point before he had a huge hand in getting us through.

We all said he should have been subbed over Winks in the final. He wasn't. Boo hoo.

Yeah it was boo hoo for many of us......but hey fuck it, we can lose finals as long as our poster boys get a game, while offering nothing.

Be brave? LOL......what will you say next year when Ndombele is still sitting on the bench into mid December because Dele is wasting a place in the team..

Yeah it was boo hoo for many of us......but hey fuck it, we can lose finals as long as our poster boys get a game, while offering nothing.

Be brave? LOL......what will you say next year when Ndombele is still sitting on the bench into mid December because Dele is wasting a place in the team..

I assume NDombele coming in would mean Dele isn't having to play in central midfield because others aren't good enough.

Let's hope we get it done.

Dier, Wanyama and Skipp are better than Dele in DM.
Dier and Wanyama not last year they were not and injured most of it. I agree that Dele should not play DM but given the options there was not much choice.

Skipp I cant really comment on - I am not sure anyone with confidence.

I assume NDombele coming in would mean Dele isn't having to play in central midfield because others aren't good enough.

Let's hope we get it done.

You dont get it which is weird....Winks is better in CM than Dele. Winks was taken off.
Moura has been better than Dele as an AM. Moura is behind Dele.

Dele was ahead of Son when Son was tearing the shit out Dortmund in the CL at the start of 2017 (when Dele was suspended in the CL). Despite being shit in the PL, he was still first choice ahead of Son, when we were playing a front three.
Ditto Lamela.

NONE of you wanted Dele dropped. He has been played ahead of form players, so you can try and create a situation where the only other option was Dier (who is still better than Dele in CM) but its not the case.

Last edited:
Haha......but Kane deserved 95 minutes
Different players who had different injuries. Every injury has to be managed in a unique way and every player has different levels of fitness/recovery. Their positions are also completely different so energy consumed etc is different.

I'm sure Poch is competent enough to realise that Winks was our best player that night. Or do you not think he is knowledgeable enough to know and see that?

Different players who had different injuries. Every injury has to be managed in a unique way and every player has different levels of fitness/recovery. Their positions are also completely different so energy consumed etc is different.

I'm sure Poch is competent enough to realise that Winks was our best player that night. Or do you not think he is knowledgeable enough to know and see that?

I think Poch has the knowledge but I also think he has made countless costly errors down the years regarding Eriksen, Dele and Kane.
He has stuck with them when they´ve been garbage, and thats nothing but poor management, and sends out an awful signal to the rest of the squad.
Probably why Townsend lost his shit at them

Back
Top Bottom