Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He said after the game "We know how good we are, we just have to start showing it on the pitch."
That's Dele's problem in a nutshell. He thinks he's a better player than he really is. He probably cannot understand why he didn't make the England team last match. Needs a reality check and a wake up call.

He said after the game "We know how good we are, we just have to start showing it on the pitch."
That's Dele's problem in a nutshell. He thinks he's a better player than he really is. He probably cannot understand why he didn't make the England team last match. Needs a reality check and a wake up call.

I think that's harsh specifically to Dele.

I think it's a better representation of the entire team's performance.

Even before we started this awful run, i always felt we were a team lacking a player who can take control when times got difficult.

Too many players are happy to be passengers and hope that someone else steps up when the going get tough. No one is looking to grab the game by the balls and take it to the other team.

I think that's harsh specifically to Dele.

I think it's a better representation of the entire team's performance.

Even before we started this awful run, i always felt we were a team lacking a player who can take control when times got difficult.

Too many players are happy to be passengers and hope that someone else steps up when the going get tough. No one is looking to grab the game by the balls and take it to the other team.
I'm not saying he's the only one with that attitude but this thread is relative to him in particular, not the team and I feel that is his problem at present.
Perhaps sitting on the bench and being left out of the England team will bring him back to earth with a bump and we get the old Dele back. Hope so :thumbup:

Remember the old Dele who was arrogant, brash, impetuous, sometimes petulant but always doing something original on the pitch and entertaining the fans ... let's have him back pronto !

Remember the old Dele who was arrogant, brash, impetuous, sometimes petulant but always doing something original on the pitch and entertaining the fans ... let's have him back pronto !
And the last 10-15 mins of play showed that. He looked like he wanted to play. What were you doing when you were 23? Let's give him a bit of space to get back to where we think he should be.

His off the ball movement was very underrated against Red Star. Allowed us to switch formations when needed and he opened up space for others.

He needs more games like this to get back into the swing of things.

Hoping he fulfils his potential...

I think that the quote " “I have got to keep working hard. I don’t want to be back to where I was, I want to be better." Kind of shows that he actually acknowlodges that he is off pace, and not as good right now.

So your point of he "thinks he's a better player than he really is" seems off-target here.

I think that the quote " “I have got to keep working hard. I don’t want to be back to where I was, I want to be better." Kind of shows that he actually acknowlodges that he is off pace, and not as good right now.

So your point of he "thinks he's a better player than he really is" seems off-target here.
My point was raised in reference to the quote "We know how good we are " which I posted, and not the one you did so, with all due respect, in that case I do not consider it 'off target' at all. A difference of opinions maybe.

My point was raised in reference to the quote "We know how good we are " which I posted, and not the one you did so, with all due respect, in that case I do not consider it 'off target' at all. A difference of opinions maybe.

I understand that yours was based on a different quote.

I just pointed out that Dele himself admits that he is off-form. Which kind of proves that he is not somewhere in clouds with his self-evaluation like you were suggesting before.
I think we all can agree, that our team actually IS better than last-place-holding Watford. Saying this does is not some kind of delusion or too high self esteem.

I understand that yours was based on a different quote.

I just pointed out that Dele himself admits that he is off-form. Which kind of proves that he is not somewhere in clouds with his self-evaluation like you were suggesting before.
I think we all can agree, that our team actually IS better than last-place-holding Watford. Saying this does is not some kind of delusion or too high self esteem.

Whilst he is admitting that he is 'off form' which I totally respect, my argument was that he is not as good as he thinks he is. Admitting to not playing as good as you can does not necessarily mean that your concept of how good you can actually play isn't misconceived.

I believe Dele has succumbed to the media hype about him the past season or so and assumed that he was a natural England and Spurs first team choice. This has not been a 'drop in form' but more a general air of complacency brought about by an ego massage from both Poch and the press.

Thankfully Southgate has hopefully brought him back down to earth and he will now concentrate on improving his performances.
As I said, that's just my opinion so we shall agree to differ.

Last edited:
It's very harsh to be critical of that comment and slate him for having too high an opinion of himself because he doesn't actually quantify 'how good' he thinks he is. He says he knows how good he is, but that's just about knowing your own skills and level. I don't think he's saying he thinks he's world class or an English Messi, he's just self aware of his ability.
He is good when he's on form so I think it's a fair comment, I don't think he's saying he's great or amazing or showing delusions of grandeur.

Also flies in the face of those who have tried to claim he hasn’t been poor.

Good luck to him, we need the Dele of 2016 back.
I fear it’s too late, but hearing him speak like that is really encouraging

Back
Top Bottom