Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What this says, no Spurs forward player had a consistent season from Son, Kane, Dele, Eriksen or Moura. That's why we won nothing.

Its been our achilles heel for YEARS.....you can go back to the Leicester season and the same shit in the final third cost us the title in that defeat to them at WHL.
People can blame Toby for losing Huth for a free header, but 26 shots and lose 1-0 was the real problem.

It wouldnt matter who the RB or CMs are when the front three/four dont turn up, and this is part of the reason I couldnt care less that Eriksen is off, and while I would give Dele another season, I wouldnt lose a minutes sleep if somone came in for 60M and we sold him.

Dele is a talent but he had an up and down season, ie average season. He played very well in some matches, example CL semi and he was invisible in other matches, example CL final. He and Spurs ended up the season with no winners medal and say what you like, this is the bottom line.

Comparing that with Mane or Salad for example, both been consistent all season and ended up with winners medal.

What this says, no Spurs forward player had a consistent season from Son, Kane, Dele, Eriksen or Moura. That's why we won nothing.

I don't mind comparatives but if you want to do so using Mane and Salah as the benchmark, what were they doing during the season where they were 22/23?

I couldn't care less where they were. Sounds you are making excuses, Manure won the league with kids.
Eriksen is 27, he had a yo yo season.

Not at all, I know Dele has a rough season but if you want to compare him with Mane and Salah, both of which have won their first pieces of silverware I believe at 26 & 27 surely you need to also look at what they were doing at 22/23 and if they were seen as frauds or merely players that hadn't reached their potential yet.

I'm not sure if it's the case as I haven't looked at it but chances are Mane was at either Salzburg or had just joined Southampton back at Dele's age and Salah was probably on loan either at Fiorentina or Roma after being deemed not good enough at Chelsea.

Dele had a rough season but I won't write him off, I know the kid has the qualities to make it.

The bottom line is that it took Salah and Mane, the two guys you chose to compare Dele with a while to reach their current levels. Dele is a young man and one who played in teams that made the semi finals of the World Cup, League Cup, FA Cup, Nations League and the final of the Champions League over the last 14 months or so. Nobody can say where his career will end up but to conclude that he isn't good enough at such a young age isn't fair on the guy. They say footballers hit their peak at what, 26-30 years of age? If thats the case how can people not want to see what he might be at that age wearing our colours? He's a young man he needs to be given time.

Each player is different, Eriksen to Modric, Rooney to Bale etc but one iffy season when the kid has had two broken bones in his hand, 3 hamstring injuries, no pre-season and a break up with what seems to be his first love in my opinion really isn't fair. Each to their own though, you can have your opinions on him, I can have mine etc.

Last edited:
The Dele age thing just doesn’t add up because he was better when he was 18/19/20yrs

So “only being 23” doesn’t make sense, he’s gone downhill for a myriad of reasons but take his first two seasons away and not one person would want the guy anywhere near the club

The Dele age thing just doesn’t add up because he was better when he was 18/19/20yrs

So “only being 23” doesn’t make sense, he’s gone downhill for a myriad of reasons but take his first two seasons away and not one person would want the guy anywhere near the club
The same could be said about much of our players at the end of this season tho.

The same could be said about much of our players at the end of this season tho.
Not really plus I’m talking about Dele....I pointed this stuff out in 2017 and no one wanted to hear it.

Everyone is taking it for a given that he’ll be back next season at his best. Heard the same thing about the season just gone though.

Say what you want about the squad but Deles situation is one of breaking through at elite levels, and then declining over a prolonged period. Even his stats don’t paper the cracks like Eriksens, and everyone has to dig deep from years ago to compile them.

We have a very real risk of a player that will never return to that guy who scored at Selhurst Park, and you can all bury your head in the sand and call it “Dele hating” as much as you like, but like I said, people’s views are based on his glory days.
If he started at the club at the beginning of the 2017/18 season, no one would want him here by the end of this summer window.

Not really plus I’m talking about Dele....I pointed this stuff out in 2017 and no one wanted to hear it.

Everyone is taking it for a given that he’ll be back next season at his best. Heard the same thing about the season just gone though.

Say what you want about the squad but Deles situation is one of breaking through at elite levels, and then declining over a prolonged period. Even his stats don’t paper the cracks like Eriksens, and everyone has to dig deep from years ago to compile them.

We have a very real risk of a player that will never return to that guy who scored at Selhurst Park, and you can all bury your head in the sand and call it “Dele hating” as much as you like, but like I said, people’s views are based on his glory days.
If he started at the club at the beginning of last season, no one would want him here by the end of this summer window.
He deserves another season. If he plays subpar again then it’s another bussiness.

You need to get down to very basic stuff when talking about him- first touch, ability to take the ball on the half-turn, etc.

He isn’t being played where he should as well. He needs to play behind the striker. He’s isn’t fast enough to play box to box. He gained to much muscle I think. Skinny dele was better
Yep, Poch takes a huge chunk of responsibility for this.

I find there are many people who will die defending Dele, and one excuse is his position change.
Weird that most of the same people are also so far up Pochs butt that they can’t level any critique his way either though

Yep, Poch takes a huge chunk of responsibility for this.

I find there are many people who will die defending Dele, and one excuse is his position change.
Weird that most of the same people are also so far up Pochs butt that they can’t level any critique his way either though
Well I like them both. Poch and dele. But I reckon Poch does wrongs as well and dele was not good enough this year and a half. It isn’t all black and white sammy. I think we are close of agreeing in this subject

If he started at the club at the beginning of the 2017/18 season, no one would want him here by the end of this summer window.

I agree with this to some extent, but it’s tough with Dele. He so clearly has the talent to be special, so people are more inclined to give him some time. We’ve had some stinkers that have had good seasons for us, and when they decline most will say ‘get rid’. But with Dele there is just something clearly special about him, people are willing to invest

I agree with this to some extent, but it’s tough with Dele. He so clearly has the talent to be special, so people are more inclined to give him some time. We’ve had some stinkers that have had good seasons for us, and when they decline most will say ‘get rid’. But with Dele there is just something clearly special about him, people are willing to invest

With someone with Dele’s talent, you’ve got to try to fix it rather than write it off.

What he has, his level of potential, is as rare as hen’s teeth,

So, hypothetically, if we change to a 4-3-3 formation next season (with an assumed loss of Eriksen), what do we think that could mean for Dele's favoured position?

Would he start as the furthest forward of the middle 3, or on one side of the forward 3?

Just spitballing here...

Back
Top Bottom