Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he was rubbish all throughout. Poor delivery and lackadaisical movement. We aren't going to the summit as a club with Dele starting every game. He's not good enough. The lad has moments of magic but they're not frequent enough to keep him starting for us. Take off your blinders.

I thought he was crap as well tbf. There will be alot of biased opinion on here, but being truthful he did not a lot.

I accept the sentiment that Dele did not quite perform as expected in WC.
But i blame it on the system 3-5-2, it only benefits Trippier (thank God for that) and Lingard.
Lingard and Dele played a weird free role, and often helps out on the flanks either defense or offense. Dele isnt a pacey player, he needs somebody to help him trick opponent like Eriksen does.
Thing is Sterling and Lingard never helps out.

So somehow with 5 in the middle, still overran in midfield.
I know England has exceeded expectation, but look at it objectively, outside of setpieces, how many chances were created?
I seconded Neville suggestion Kane was somewhat injured. Yes he played a deeper role maybe tactical demand, but he did not run. He did not run at all.

Thats why while i thought no players perform badly, England cant do much in Semi.
I wholeheartedly believe had England played 4231, Dele would be much much scarier.
Though i dont blame the manager, what do i know. I believe with 4231 they will create more, but they might conceded even more.

Going forward, England still has the same problem. No playmaker who can hold the ball. As of now, i believe Winks is the answer, hopefully he came back and improved.

Ohh, i do think Dele played well in semi. Yes not much end product but he did well in the team.

Dele did not 'set the WC alight' but he wasn't that bad either ... it's hard for him to adapt to an England team that lacks the quality of Eriksen and Dembele to play the midfield role ... that's not an excuse it's a fact ... he should have done better, to often he tried a pass that in the last third would have been the right option but in his deeper role was to aggressive ... although he made little impact in the semi-final he did a great job on Modric, can't remember a single game in the last five years, for Croatia or Real Madrid, where Modric hasn't had the most passes ... yet on Wednesday he was only the third highest Croatian ...

Defending Modric should not be Dele's role he's an AM not a CM ... that said he did the job OK ... it's a great shame we didn't see more attacking play from him, but as Harry also found when you have Henderson, Lingard and Stirling instead of Dembele, Eriksen and Son you're just not going to get the same number of chances ....

England lack two real quality CM's ... if Winks can get back to form he should walk into this England squad ....

I thought he was rubbish all throughout. Poor delivery and lackadaisical movement. We aren't going to the summit as a club with Dele starting every game. He's not good enough. The lad has moments of magic but they're not frequent enough to keep him starting for us. Take off your blinders.

I’m going to back some of what you say here....he didn’t have a good tournament, and we’ve seen Dele play like this for us too.

However he was injured in the first game, and should have been (wait for it) rotated way more.

He is growing up as a player, but by clipping his wings, we’ve lost the spark.
I don’t think we’ll ever see that kid from the first two breakthrough years and that’s a tragedy, but what we will see is a more disciplined refined version, with moments of magic, and more team play.

He should play where he is best, not just be used to try and cover up the lack of decent central midfielders. He should have played further forward instead of Sterling, with Sterling replacing Lingard.

... and for fuck sake give the lad the day off tomorrow.

You stick him left side midfield with Young behind him,and Sterling in front and you get what we got. He was poor throughout the whole tournament, unsurprising considering where/how he was asked to play.

Cannot understand Southgate's fixation with Young (good corner delivery from which one goal came - and not much else) and Sterling (runs very fast but can't score - play Usain Bolt instead?).

It was clear from game 1 that Rose for Young and Rashford for Sterling was the way to go.

Anyway, it's water under the bridge. Get the lads fit and ready for the horse batterers in 28 short days. Plus we need some reinforcements.

Overall he was OK. Not as good as he can be and hampered by injury but with some good moments (and played well throughout vs Sweden). He didn't get involved as much as he typically did for us last season.

Dele did not 'set the WC alight' but he wasn't that bad either ... it's hard for him to adapt to an England team that lacks the quality of Eriksen and Dembele to play the midfield role ... that's not an excuse it's a fact ... he should have done better, to often he tried a pass that in the last third would have been the right option but in his deeper role was to aggressive ... although he made little impact in the semi-final he did a great job on Modric, can't remember a single game in the last five years, for Croatia or Real Madrid, where Modric hasn't had the most passes ... yet on Wednesday he was only the third highest Croatian ...

Defending Modric should not be Dele's role he's an AM not a CM ... that said he did the job OK ... it's a great shame we didn't see more attacking play from him, but as Harry also found when you have Henderson, Lingard and Stirling instead of Dembele, Eriksen and Son you're just not going to get the same number of chances ....

England lack two real quality CM's ... if Winks can get back to form he should walk into this England squad ....
I kinda agree with your assessment. Dele needs to play with players of certain quality.
The quality of Kane, Son, Eriksen contributed much to Dele's impressive stats at Spurs. Even when he is adding to his stats, he can go missing during most part of the games. If we are asking him to dominate games, we are in for disappointment. His strengths are his stamina for pressing, good around-the-box positioning and quick decision making. He will disappear when service is dry.
Southgate wants to play him as a playmaker, delivering that ball before the final ball. But he hasn't been playing like that for awhile now. His range of passing is limited and doesn't dominate the midfield. Tactically not right...

I’m going to back some of what you say here....he didn’t have a good tournament, and we’ve seen Dele play like this for us too.

However he was injured in the first game, and should have been (wait for it) rotated way more.

I don’t think we’ll ever see that kid from the first two breakthrough years and that’s a tragedy, but what we will see is a more disciplined refined version, with moments of magic, and more team play.

I too think he may remain somewhat enigmatic during his career, but in what sense do you think we "clipped his wings"?

I thought many of us expected too much from the lad. Probably Poch included. He isn't the best young player in Europe. Not even top 5.
He is probably a Sherringham, but with superior stamina to press. He plays simple most of the time and try to run into good positions. He strives on good team mates feeding him. He builds up very good stats by such type of play.

Anything else, he is not...

First two seasons were more impressive because he was unknown. The coming years he will improve but am not expecting a big difference. At his peak, a Sherringham with stamina.

I thought he looked class today. His biggest quality is how he ghosts in and makes it impossible for a team to Man mark him due to his deep playing positions off the ball unless arriving late in the box. It's something that other teams supporters don't see because of how he's played for the national team.

Saying that I'd much rather Dele perform for us than England. The way we play suits him and I love seeing his talent in a Spurs shirt

Loved him in the deeper role. Him and Eriksen were great at switching and his late runs are just excellent. Time and time again he was causing the defence problems.

I reckon this will be his best goalscoring season for us in all comps

Back
Top Bottom