Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When you say dry up you mean ref's don't give them?
Indeed, it has become the focus of games recently and imo has affected his game both from the way he is playing and the way refs are looking at him.

It’s an issue for Poch in my opinion, to help him understand when and how.

Indeed, it has become the focus of games recently and imo has affected his game both from the way he is playing and the way refs are looking at him.

It’s an issue for Poch in my opinion, to help him understand when and how.
Then I would suggest the issues is with the refs not Dele. If refs are singling him out then they are cheating and should be investigated.

He is doing what all players do, he's looking for the advantage, he will go down to get the free kick, he will go down to get the pen. Marking this type of player is a nightmare, get close and touch him he wins the free kick, stand off him (give him space) he'll nutmeg you, humiliate you, find a pass that leads to a shot/goal.

I completely disagree that playing this way has affected his game, it is his game.

Last edited:
Then I would suggest the issues is with the refs not Dele. If refs are singling him out then they are cheating and should be investigated.

He is doing what all players do, he's looking for the advantage, he will go down to get the free kick, he will go down to get the pen. Marking this type of player is a nightmare, get close and touch him he wins the free kick, stand off him (give him space) he'll nutmeg you, humiliate you, find a pass that leads to a shot/goal.

I completely disagree that playing this way has affected his game, it is his game.
I get what you mean but from watching him this season I see a less creative player than 16/17. I know positionally his game has changed this season as well, but there's a little more to it than that, he is playing more negatively. It's only margins but it's definitely there (otherwise you would have people knee-jerking about him all over the place!).

Given his level of ability, I want to see more of the positive from him again.

I would say its the media. Refs are human, just lime us. If a ref reads "player x dives" all the time then they will start to form a subconscious bias, just like all we do.
Look at the sensationalist reporting when Alli falls over compared to Salah. It must affect the way refs think without them knowing it

You'll recall the media was similarly disinterested in Smalling's dive against Newcastle.

tumblr_p400oeJjv41tf8a5ao1_500.gif

I would say its the media. Refs are human, just lime us. If a ref reads "player x dives" all the time then they will start to form a subconscious bias, just like all we do.
Look at the sensationalist reporting when Alli falls over compared to Salah. It must affect the way refs think without them knowing it
There may be truth to that, but if there is, then the refs ain't refereeing the game. I think too much is made of hat point of view, seems to be trotted out by the jorno's & pundits who are outraged at a player diving when it happens every week in every game for decades.

I get what you mean but from watching him this season I see a less creative player than 16/17. I know positionally his game has changed this season as well, but there's a little more to it than that, he is playing more negatively. It's only margins but it's definitely there (otherwise you would have people knee-jerking about him all over the place!).

Given his level of ability, I want to see more of the positive from him again.
I'd argue, as I have been in this thread, he's always done it, there is zero change in how he goes about his business.

There may be truth to that, but if there is, then the refs ain't refereeing the game. I think too much is made of hat point of view, seems to be trotted out by the jorno's & pundits who are outraged at a player diving when it happens every week in every game for decades.
Agree.
If FIFA/UEFA/ the FA were serious about stopping diving, they would have made it a straight red 3 match ban offence.
As to Dele I can only think of one occasion where he went down without being touched (jumping over keeper)
So is "diving"
A) falling over with no contact.
B) Going down with minimal contact, even if you could stay up, but it is technically a penalty.

Agree.
If FIFA/UEFA/ the FA were serious about stopping diving, they would have made it a straight red 3 match ban offence.
As to Dele I can only think of one occasion where he went down without being touched (jumping over keeper)
So is "diving"
A) falling over with no contact.
B) Going down with minimal contact, even if you could stay up, but it is technically a penalty.
He dives, I've absolutely no problem in saying this, I am at complete peace with it. If he's booked for doing it, good well spotted by the ref. If he gets away with it, good, lets lose our shit celebrating Harry's converted pen.

He dives, I've absolutely no problem in saying this, I am at complete peace with it. If he's booked for doing it, good well spotted by the ref. If he gets away with it, good, lets lose our shit celebrating Harry's converted pen.
Agree, but my point was in general, not specificaly Dele.
Apologies it was poorly worded.

I'd argue, as I have been in this thread, he's always done it, there is zero change in how he goes about his business.
Fair enough. I think he's missing sharpness in final third and has been all season (whilst Son has gone the complete other way and everything is coming off). The only factor I can see in all of that is he has become more niggley/cynical this season. Probably bollocks but that's what I see.

I think Harry's form and him becoming the absolute focal point dented his resolve for goal getting

I love Harry ... of course ... but I think it might freshen the minds of the other creative players and allow them to take on more responsibility .... in the form of putting the ball in the back of the net .... dele most of all.

I think the problem IS with the referees and it’s two-fold:
- very rarely will a ref blow for a foul unless a player goes down. This forces the player to think they have to go down to get what they ‘deserve’
- never do they simultaneously give a yellow for diving AND give the foul. You can be guilty of having dived even if you were fouled.
IMHO if these two things happened more it would eradicate diving!

Back
Top Bottom