Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just a quick one on Dele's attitude as it's been questioned in recent weeks. Last week he traveled with his teammates to a game he was suspended for, took part in training the day before the game and supported them from the bench. He then played a deeper role which he hasn't had to do in quite some time yesterday and played a beautiful game. He also looked pretty damn happy when he and his teammates scored (He's a Liverpool fan by the way).

He's the one player we have that I think gets a lot of stick for reasons that are pure hearsay/guesswork. I for one haven't had any issue with his attitude this season. I think it might be down to people believing that he will leave us in the next couple years, hence reading into things too much. I say lets just enjoy him whilst he is here.

Cracking game yesterday!

Just a quick one on Dele's attitude as it's been questioned in recent weeks. Last week he traveled with his teammates to a game he was suspended for, took part in training the day before the game and supported them from the bench. He then played a deeper role which he hasn't had to do in quite some time yesterday and played a beautiful game. He also looked pretty damn happy when he and his teammates scored (He's a Liverpool fan by the way).

He's the one player we have that I think gets a lot of stick for reasons that are pure hearsay/guesswork. I for one haven't had any issue with his attitude this season. I think it might be down to people believing that he will leave us in the next couple years, hence reading into things too much. I say lets just enjoy him whilst he is here.

Cracking game yesterday!
he has quite a languid style, which belies his actual efforts. When things aren't really coming off it can give the impression he's not trying, but to me, he always plays that way.

Cracking game yesterday!
Spot on, mate.

Cracking game yesterday!

he has quite a languid style, which belies his actual efforts. When things aren't really coming off it can give the impression he's not trying, but to me, he always plays that way.

Why was none of this being said 3 or 4 weeks ago?

Could it be because it looked like he had an attitude problem and was playing poorly. But rich everyone coming out the woodwork now he's performed.

Could it be because it looked like he had an attitude problem and was playing poorly. But rich everyone coming out the woodwork now he's performed.

I was supporting him and questioned why others were.

He's a special talent and I think he has a great attitude. Cocky? Yes but imo he can back this up with his performances. A lot to learn? Absolutely, he's still only 21 though and is quite raw. Rather have him than Pogba though.

He's going rip into Madrid, you wait and see.

tumblr_oy8k3hZBOW1vzp5kko1_500.jpg

Cracking picture.

Could it be because it looked like he had an attitude problem...

Maybe, or maybe it was because you wouldn't stop banging on about it and people felt a bit embarassed for you

:sonhmm:

Not me I should add, I love a never-ending internet spat that goes round in circles. I work at home on my own so its the nearest I get to watching an office bust-up

he did play well yesterday, I don't many off us moaned about his attitude, think it was more that he & Eriksen have not given 9/10 preformances every week, but who could

I was supporting him and questioned why others were.

He's a special talent and I think he has a great attitude. Cocky? Yes but imo he can back this up with his performances. A lot to learn? Absolutely, he's still only 21 though and is quite raw. Rather have him than Pogba though.

He's going rip into Madrid, you wait and see.

I dont need convincing of Deles brilliance. I simply wanted it to return.

Not sure what the furore is about. He was poor, and he's improved. Do people think thats weird?

Not sure what you think you've read into my post mate. I said weeks ago he wasn't playing to normal standards but where you and I differed is the threshold at which he should be dropped. I didn't think we were there yet. I've been very consistent with my position.

This is the same dele we've been seeing for the last 2 years, only difference is he isn't a rich vein of goalscoring form.

Everyone needs to calm down, he's never been a player who consistently plays amazing. He's an effective player who has great movement and attacks space brilliantly.

The other aspects of his game will improve with age and experience, he's only 21!!

On his attitude, again it's the same it's always been. It's just being highlighted more because he isn't firing.

Posted this 3-4 weeks ago...

*coughs, then coughs again*

I did.

I've stuck with the line that he's being doing exactly what he "normally" does. He's not a possession player, he's a quick one-two touch player, this means lots of flicks and high risk balls, can be frustrating when they don't come off but the difference between opening up a team when they do. He is somewhat nullified when a team is sat deep, but then so too is Kane, Eriksen et al. hence the games we have witnessed at Wembley have left us flaccid. The criticism he has received has been following games at Wembley, not after Huddersfield, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton where is role has had direct involvement in almost all of our goals and opportunities created and scored.

I'm delighted that he was played deeper by Poch the other day, this is where he started with us and began his notoriety, he then went turbo when played higher up the pitch, often ahead of Kane. The more Dele plays the more the oppo learn about him, the more they set out to nullify his threat. Things need to change, Dele needs to find new ways around this but also Poch also needs to help by tweaking/changing how we set-up. I'd say Dele couldn't find a solution (e.g. when Eriksen has been marked out of games, he will drop deeper and dictate from there), Dele however was reduced to drawing fouls from the oppo during our Wembley home bores. But not all our ills should be left at the door of Dele, ultimately we've not been able to stretch teams that sit at Wembley, for me we have missed two fullbacks (Walker and Rose) to stay wide and look to get behind, this is our biggest threat to moving an entrenched low block defence. With Rose coming back and Aurier no longer suspended and showing all of the traits of Walker in his previous performances, when we deploy both of them against a team prepared to camp on their penalty box we will see a more fluid, attacking and dynamic team (crosses fingers) with Dele exploiting the space that is created as a result of that.

One thing we will never know is how much is player and how much is coach. When Eriksen drops deeper, is this because of Eriksen searching for space or is it Poch giving an instruction. I think it's predominantly the players are given the responsibility first to find a solution???

Attitude problem?

To be fair - you were the only on here calling for him to be benched while others felt that's a bit extreme and almost knee-jerk since statistically he was doing quite ok

Attitude problem?

To be fair - you were the only on here calling for him to be benched while others felt that's a bit extreme and almost knee-jerk since statistically he was doing quite ok

Well he wasn't benched but he was certainly dropped from the front 3. To great affect.

Maybe he wasn't do as well further up as Poch had hoped? Don't know games some of you were watching if you think he's performed as well as he did against Liverpool all season.

Back
Top Bottom