Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Alli should play tonight and Ferguson and Mourinho would ensure he did.

Confidence comes from any kind of improved performance and he needs a bit of a boost.

Dele should play 100% and earn his place for West Ham

At the moment Son has two very strong performances on his back. Would be unfair to drop him or play him out of position against West Ham

Dele should play 100% and earn his place for West Ham

At the moment Son has two very strong performances on his back. Would be unfair to drop him or play him out of position against West Ham

I am not saying Son should start ahead of Alli but I think the player needs to concentrate on the team and his game.

External influences, being constantly told how good you are and your manager routinely defending your actions can serve to create a sense of being impregnable and being free from criticism.

A couple of performances in key games or a sense of regaining focus on matters of today as opposed to looking at his future will erase any issues.

I am not saying Son should start ahead of Alli but I think the player needs to concentrate on the team and his game.

External influences, being constantly told how good you are and your manager routinely defending your actions can serve to create a sense of being impregnable and being free from criticism.

A couple of performances in key games or a sense of regaining focus on matters of today as opposed to looking at his future will erase any issues.

On their last two games Id 100% start Son against West Ham

Alli is no longer a guaranteed starter imo. If we play with back 3 it means only 2 AMs start and on current form he's fighting with Son, Nkoudou and maybe Sissoko for one spot as the other belongs to Eriksen. If Lamela is fully fit he may even fall further behind in the pecking order.

AMs pecking order

1. Eriksen
2. Lamela
3. Alli ?
4. Son/Nkoudou/Sissoko

Alli is no longer a guaranteed starter imo. If we play with back 3 it means only 2 AMs start and on current form he's fighting with Son, Nkoudou and maybe Sissoko for one spot as the other belongs to Eriksen. If Lamela is fully fit he may even fall further behind in the pecking order.

AMs pecking order

1. Eriksen
2. Lamela
3. Alli ?
4. Son/Nkoudou/Sissoko

That list makes no sense. Why would you put Lamela ahead of Dele? If you are talking about a hypothetical Lamela that is fully fit and at the top of his game then you have to consider a fully fit Dele that is also at the top of his game and will easily pick himself into almost any starting XI of the entire PL.

That list makes no sense. Why would you put Lamela ahead of Dele? If you are talking about a hypothetical Lamela that is fully fit and at the top of his game then you have to consider a fully fit Dele that is also at the top of his game and will easily pick himself into almost any starting XI of the entire PL.
Dele is massively overrated by our fans. Would take Eriksen and Lamela ahead of him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Dele is massively overrated by our fans. Would take Eriksen and Lamela ahead of him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I understand the argument that he is overrated by our fans. But it is understandable since every fan over-hypes their players. But pretty much every football journalist/person rates him high and you cant deny that. But to consider Lamela better than him is just crazy (Lamela is one of my fav players).

Dele has scored 10 goals 9 assists in his first season for us. 18 goals 9 assists in his second. Including his previous leagues he scored double digit goals/assists for 3 seasons in a row.

Lamela's best season had 15 goals and 5 assists in a league that is vastly inferior to the PL. He is 25 and missed a big portion of is career in a crucial time when players start building up to the peak of their performance. Dele on the other hand is 21 and barely a grownup.

Even if you compare their stats in the season that both of them played (15/16) Dele outperforms him in almost every single category, both defensive and offensive.
I love Lamela and the fight that he brings to the team but Dele has his own set of skills (the humiliating nutmegs and sometimes the blatant dives) that are just as useful to the team.

Even if you compare their stats in the season that both of them played (15/16) Dele outperforms him in almost every single category, both defensive and offensive.

:avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm:

For starters Lamela creates more chances, completes more passes, better stats in tackling and interception, superior set pieces skills, etc

Lamela is overall better player than Alli, don't know why this is even debateable:avbcringe:

Last edited:
:avbfacepalm::avbfacepalm:

For starters Lamela creates more chances (D:11, E:11), completes more passes (D:1083, E:985), better stats in tackling (D:71 (75% success rate), E:81 (67% success rate))(This suggests Dele made 53 successful tackles and Erik made 54) and interception (D:61, E:27), superior set pieces skills (Subjective, neither scored from a freekick), etc

Lamela is overall better player than Alli, don't why this is even debateable:avbcringe:

The quote is edited with stats from Premier League appearances 15/16.

For reference Dele had 33 appearances to Erik's 34.

Other notable stats:

Dele quoted 1st, Erik 2nd

Goals: 10, 5
Goals per Match: 0.3, 0.15
Shots: 74, 59
Shots on Target: 28, 21
Shot Accuracy: 38%, 36%
Crosses: 19, 139
Cross Accuracy: 21%, 27%
Through Balls: 18, 12
Yellow Cards: 7, 9
Clearances: 32, 5
Total Duels: 475, 408
% Duels Won: 43%, 41%
Successful 50/50's: 30, 40
Total Aerial Battles: 81, 39
% Aerial Battles Won: 46%, 31%

I would draw 2 main conclusions from this as far as the quoted season is concerned.

1. You are comparing 2 completely different styles of player, i.e. a CM/AM vs. a winger. Oranges with apples if you will. Given the number of appearances each made it would seem they very rarely competed against each other for a place in the team.
  2. According to the stats, Erik was definitely not a better overall player than Dele. If your eye test tells you otherwise then fair do's. Subjectivity is a primary function of a discussion board I suppose.

The quote is edited with stats from Premier League appearances 15/16.

For reference Dele had 33 appearances to Erik's 34.

Other notable stats:

Dele quoted 1st, Erik 2nd

Goals: 10, 5
Goals per Match: 0.3, 0.15
Shots: 74, 59
Shots on Target: 28, 21
Shot Accuracy: 38%, 36%
Crosses: 19, 139
Cross Accuracy: 21%, 27%
Through Balls: 18, 12
Yellow Cards: 7, 9
Clearances: 32, 5
Total Duels: 475, 408
% Duels Won: 43%, 41%
Successful 50/50's: 30, 40
Total Aerial Battles: 81, 39
% Aerial Battles Won: 46%, 31%

I would draw 2 main conclusions from this as far as the quoted season is concerned.

1. You are comparing 2 completely different styles of player, i.e. a CM/AM vs. a winger. Oranges with apples if you will. Given the number of appearances each made it would seem they very rarely competed against each other for a place in the team.
  2. According to the stats, Erik was definitely not a better overall player than Dele. If your eye test tells you otherwise then fair do's. Subjectivity is a primary function of a discussion board I suppose.

Lamela is better AM and winger than Dele
wDbEHQj.png

Back
Top Bottom