Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having said all that, it was hugely frustrating on Sat to watch cross, after fucking cross pumped into the box only for us to stop doing that when we brought on Llorente! The mind simply boggles at this.
You only have to look at Janssen's goal for Fenerbahce to see a perfect example of what could have been done, of what I suspect most Spurs fans watching were imagining would be the plan.
We tried it once, in the 93rd minute, after Llorente had been on for 20 minutes, and it led to one of our best chances of the half.

You only have to look at Janssen's goal for Fenerbahce to see a perfect example of what could have been done, of what I imaging most Spurs fans watching were imagining would be the plan.
We tried it once, in the 93rd minute, after Llorente had been on for 20 minutes, and it led to one of our best chances of the half.
I'm still a massive fan of the cut back personally, turn the defence, get behind them and have them all facing their own goal, then cut the ball back to an onward running Spurs player. That player should then have further options, shoot (from a high percentage area and possiblity is they are not tightly marked or challenged) or play it to another. (BTW I've no idea how the stats people treat a cut back, I've asked a few of them if this counts as a cross or a pass, not one of them has given a definitive answer).

People seem to forget Alli is only 21, still a long way off hitting his peak. Still a lot to learn, it's the media who have built him up and I'm sure they'll start dismantling him soon. Give him a break he's still young.

Not aimed at you Sal, just adding to your comment.

I think most informed posters or those who understand football will accept Alli can and will have dips in form.

I think some of the frustration actually lies with Pochettino not seemingly wanting to consider dropping the player or substituting him when he is clearly short of his best.

The goals scored and assists by Alli make impressive reading and in the main an Alli at the top of his game is one that adds so much value which has to be taken into account.

I think that once he gets out of his relative slumber this becomes a non-issue but nothing wrong whatsoever in discussing his current inclusion or level of input.

Last edited:
People seem to forget Alli is only 21, still a long way off hitting his peak. Still a lot to learn, it's the media who have built him up and I'm sure they'll start dismantling him soon. Give him a break he's still young.

Not aimed at you Sal, just adding to your comment.
I think it's also worth remembering that because of his age he is going to be more susceptible to media talk, especially when he has a hoard of agents vying for him and reinforcing the idea that he's the next Neymar. Could well impact a young man's form.

Dele is on paper talented young* midfielder who also was excellent at scoring. but in practice he's a striker in all but name, and now his game seems to rely solely on trying to get on the end of crosses from Eriksen or Trippier. He's a terrific player, but it seems like he's deliberately limiting his game to that of a poacher. I don't think current Dele is worthy of a starting spot. Son is taller, more athletic, and better at getting into the box. Dele as an attacking mid/number 10/"shadow striker"/whatever is an incredibly useful player. Striker Dele is not.

*"Young", lol he's older than me

Dele is on paper talented young* midfielder who also was excellent at scoring. but in practice he's a striker in all but name, and now his game seems to rely solely on trying to get on the end of crosses from Eriksen or Trippier. He's a terrific player, but it seems like he's deliberately limiting his game to that of a poacher. I don't think current Dele is worthy of a starting spot. Son is taller, more athletic, and better at getting into the box. Dele as an attacking mid/number 10/"shadow striker"/whatever is an incredibly useful player. Striker Dele is not.

Where do you get taller from?
Son is 5' 11, Dele is 6' 2.

Its a bit rich blaming the media for the Dele hype and talking about he's so young and still learning.......if you spent the entire last two days talking about how completely absurd it is for him to sit on the bench for a bit.

I mean, 90% of Spurs fans calling him undroppable, then say the media are hyping him.

Make your mind up....if he's young and learning, why cant he be rotated?

Its a bit rich blaming the media for the Dele hype and talking about he's so young and still learning.......if you spent the entire last two days talking about how completely absurd it is for him to sit on the bench for a bit.
I thought you were out of the Dele debate and it was everyone else who was carrying it on? Now you're back in it? Funny dat! :harrysmile:

I mean, 90% of Spurs fans calling him undroppable, then say the media are hyping him.
Prove this statistic. I have only seen one person on here claim he is undroppable, so once again you'[re advancing your usual lies and misrepresentation. Most have said he is droppable but right now doesn't need top be dropped, which you well know because it has been said to you endlessly since the game on Saturday, but let's not let fact get in the way of the deliberate trolling eh? :rolleyes:

Make your mind up....if he's young and learning, why cant he be rotated?
He can be rotated. The question is, does he need to be? The answer is most of think he doesn't need to be. We're sorry that we're not all bowing to your superior wisdom this time.

That is a very fair point although it's up to Poch to determine his role and if it's purely a goal sniffer then it's down to Poch as to how he is being used. I tend to agree that if Dele isn't scoring he isn't doing much but Clint Dempsey was the same.

For me our attack has never really been balanced since Bale left, we have Kane the Striker, Eriksen and Lamela the creative number 10's and Son and Dele the goal poacher types. We don't have a player who consistently beats players and that means teams that sit back are often very difficult for us to deal with, if you go past 2 players it totally unbalanced the opposition and that is where opportunities are created. That's why the likes of Hazard Sanchez are so prized. I honestly believe we had one of those players last season or the season before we would have picked up the title. It doesn't help that our lack of attacking depth also means we need to play players even when off form, Dele is 21 and most players don't become consistent till they are at least 23-24.

As for our defence it's brilliant no change needed there.

Give Aurier a chance mate! He did more than Trips in the 27 mins he was on than Trips has done every game combined this season. A cross is very, very, very low percentage, they rarely result in goals. It's not that X, Y or Z player can't cross (corner or in open play) it's because they rarely come off because it's hard to perform and easy to defend against. Trips crossing, his only famed asset, has been woeful this season, I mean he has lumped in 36 crosses this season from 4 appearances and just 4 of them have found a Spurs player!! Proves the point that crossing is low percentage and maybe that he just isn't that great at crossing as people think.

Aurier has played less than half an hour of prem football, made 8 crosses and and found a Spurs player with one. I'd further argue that the position of the cross from Aurier is far more dangerous than from Trips because his crosses come with him getting behind the oppo defence, Tripp's crosses are hit early as he doesn't get behind oppo defence. The are loads of knock-on issues with this as ashram Tripp's crosses the oppo can use the ball better than Aurier's as they are facing up the pitch when they win the ball back, there is less panic more controlled re-gain of possession by the oppo, this limits our chances of counter-pressing the oppo too.

Having said all that, it was hugely frustrating on Sat to watch cross, after fucking cross pumped into the box only for us to stop doing that when we brought on Llorente! The mind simply boggles at this.

I didn't think I was being over-critical of Aurier (although I may have called him a knob which is a bit unfair :)).
His crossing was hideous. He not only couldn't find a Spurs player. He rarely even found the box.

Saying that from the 2 games hes played I think hes been defensively sound (although not had a great deal to do) and his greatest strength is his ability to beat a man and get to the bye-line.

Trippier's game is all about the early cross. Obviously completely ineffectual against Swanseas 9 men + keeper defence. His options were limited to lump it in the box knowing it'll get cleared or pass along the midfield.

As you say it became even more frustrating once the changes were made.
Any attack down our left was completely neutralised by taking Son off and shifting Trippier to LB.
They overloaded their defence on the right which stiffled Auriers threat of getting to the bye-line (and quite possibly his crossing).
With Llorente now being on most of us assume he was a target man. Auriers job was to put the crosses in. Which he didn't. I believe keeping Trippier at RB would have been better option for this but also probably fruitless.

I agree with you though that the biggest threat was when we got in behind. Son in the first half. Aurier in second.
If Trippier had to go to LB then i'd have preferred to see Son stay on so we had a threat down both flanks and a bit of balance.

It was all sorts of messed up.

I think we can all agree that in the future we'd prefer to just see a LB playing at LB :)

For me our attack has never really been balanced since Bale left
You have to be kidding. We are a far more balanced team, one that doesn't need to be carried by one superstar player. One that is not reliant on one key player for match winning goals. Look at our goal return last season, coming from multiple players, and then tell me our attack isn't more balanced after comparing it to Bale's last season. Bizarre comment.

For me our attack has never really been balanced since Bale left, we have Kane the Striker, Eriksen and Lamela the creative number 10's and Son and Dele the goal poacher types. We don't have a player who consistently beats players and that means teams that sit back are often very difficult for us to deal with
And when we did have Bale we were lacking all those other players and roles. We were a one-man team, illustrated by how short AVB lasted after Bale wasn't around to... (excuse me) constantly bail everyone else out.

That isn't balance. We create far more goal scoring opportunities compared to when we had Bale, and in actuality we've had far more success against teams that park the bus recently as opposed to when Bale was in the team.

And when we did have Bale we were lacking all those other players and roles. We were a one-man team, illustrated by how short AVB lasted after Bale wasn't around to... (excuse me) constantly bail everyone else out.

That isn't balance. We create far more goal scoring opportunities compared to when we had Bale, and in actuality we've had far more success against teams that park the bus recently as opposed to when Bale was in the team.

Probably should clarify, I didn't think we where a balanced team under AVB but Bale offered the explosiveness we currently lack that would make us balanced now, and yes I don't think we are perfectly balanced in attack, I do think we are in defence.

Once we get that sorted I think we can challenge for the title.

You have to be kidding. We are a far more balanced team, one that doesn't need to be carried by one superstar player. One that is not reliant on one key player for match winning goals. Look at our goal return last season, coming from multiple players, and then tell me our attack isn't more balanced after comparing it to Bale's last season. Bizarre comment.

As I said to VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur I should have clarified my comments better but I don't think we are balanced in attack and never have done, I think we have a brilliant system short of one or two players to make it complete.

Also you don't need to be a dick at the end of every comment.

Back
Top Bottom