Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Regarding penalties, I found this really interesting:

6jq5c2.jpg
So if you kick it at the keeper's face you have a 97% chance of scoring....fascinating. Somebody should tell Kane, he keeps going for the lower corners and statistically that's one of the worst places he can aim.

Ooooh. That's really cool.

I'm guessing that the larger area of red on the left corresponds with most goalkeepers being right handed, and therefore more capable of saving balls to their right?

Reminds me of when we had Andros Townsend take the penalty against Chelsea as we knew Courtois didn't have a chance of getting to the bottom right corner.
:townhmm:

4541178.jpg

So if you kick it at the keeper's face you have a 97% chance of scoring....fascinating. Somebody should tell Kane, he keeps going for the lower corners and statistically that's one of the worst places he can aim.
Or if you hit it where the keeper simply has to put his hands slightly above his head, you'll always score...
great stuff.

No, he hits the absolute corners - not the the 7ft to the right of the keeper corners. Dele's pen would have been saved if the keeper had guessed right. That's why they are down to 50/50

That's because keepers will usually dive one way or the other. Down the middle with a bit of height on the ball is a sound penalty.

I think this would be one of those weird things where it only works against a good goalkeeper - on an amateur level, you'd probably find a keeper more likely to be stood still?

It allows him to change his mind if he reads the keeper and it's an easier place to feel confident about through repetition.

Professiona keeper here. I am of the opinion keepers do not have a huge preference on which way to dive. Personally I was stronger diving to my left, but im right handed. But the difference was minimal.

My opinion on the penalty statistics is that if most takers are right footed, it is easier to curl the ball in to the right post. The spin on the ball gives you that extra few inches that can make a difference. Hence why you primarily see players curling shots when they open up their hips rather than shooting across their body.

Professiona keeper here. I am of the opinion keepers do not have a huge preference on which way to dive. Personally I was stronger diving to my left, but im right handed. But the difference was minimal.

My opinion on the penalty statistics is that if most takers are right footed, it is easier to curl the ball in to the right post. The spin on the ball gives you that extra few inches that can make a difference. Hence why you primarily see players curling shots when they open up their hips rather than shooting across their body.

Are you Pau Lopez?

Always said, high pressure situations to just smash down the middle.

In that situation, it's very rare a keeper is going to stand still. Make sure it has height on it as at times a keeper will use his trailing foot.

Kane has adopted this method at times. Most notably the NLD and the important win at the Etihad last season.

Back
Top Bottom