Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gotta wait until the new year by the looks of things before we get to see more out of position last ditch defending and long hopeful cross field balls. Dammit!!

:vdvcry:

Michael Dawson has today undergone surgery to his right Achilles tendon to assist with his recovery.

Medical staff are pleased with his progress and he will be reviewed by the surgeon in early December, at which time a date for a return to full training will be determined.

I was saying on twitter earlier that comparisons between him and Kaboul were unfair as they both have different qualities. I can't see Harry benching a fully-fit Dawson, we'll see.

A lot of players who did well in getting us 4th are being shunted out now. Bassong, Kranjcar, Corluka, Bentley, Gomes, among others finding themselves out of the team now.

Thelonious Filth said:
I was saying on twitter earlier that comparisons between him and Kaboul were unfair as they both have different qualities. I can't see Harry benching a fully-fit Dawson, we'll see.

A lot of players who did well in getting us 4th are being shunted out now. Bassong, Kranjcar, Corluka, Bentley, Gomes, among others finding themselves out of the team now.

Onwards and upwards and all that...

of course, the "well they got us 4th" argument (which I admit I use) is starting to wear thin, much better team now.

We're not missing Dawson at the moment because King is managing to turn out virtually every week.

The second he gets a medium to long term injury, we will miss Dawson big time.

As for Kaboul vs Dawson - that is a difficult call. Kaboul has, as we pretty much all predicted, come on leaps and bounds when given regular games. They are quite similar players although Dawson is a better communicator, and has a better range of passing (we take the mick, but his cross-field passing can be very effective), whereas Kaboul's quicker across the ground.

Thelonious Filth said:
of course, the "well they got us 4th" argument (which I admit I use) is starting to wear thin, much better team now.

We were pretty fortunate to get 4th that season to be fair, City threw away far too many points. A bit like the scum last season who got there thanks to us losing games we should have been winning comfortably.

ArtyB said:
Thelonious Filth said:

We were pretty fortunate to get 4th that season to be fair, City threw away far too many points. A bit like the scum last season who got there thanks to us losing games we should have been winning comfortably.
I struggle with the concept of being lucky/unlucky over 38 games, you get what you deserve at the end of the season.

I really dont want to see Dawson just walk back into the team.

I just think although he is a heart on sleeve type player I dont think he is good enough with ball at his feet. It seems like 70% of his cross field balls never come off and his hoofs upfield infuriate me. He looks like Bambi when someone gives him the ball under any kind of pressure sometimes and we all know he is not quick. I think Kaboul has the tools to eventually be a much better player. But hey, thats just my opinion.

Luck has nothing to do with it. People wrote us off and laughed when we had the run of Sunderland away and Woolwich, Chelsea at home. We stuck it to the man. yids yids yids yids

Thelonious Filth said:
ArtyB said:
Thelonious Filth said:

I struggle with the concept of being lucky/unlucky over 38 games, you get what you deserve at the end of the season.

I'm not saying we were lucky, we got 4th partly in thanks to City's inability to finish off games...

as a defender Kaboul is better than Dawson, it's as simple as that. I'm not saying Kaboul is a perfect defender because he has his limitations and makes plenty of mistakes but as has been said above Dawson usually only looks solid when King is alongside him.

When he returns he'll walk straight back into the team unless King and Gallas are fit (hmmmm, defensive sticky) but he shouldn't. If you watch him consistently during the game (even when the ball isn't near him) he's out of position and due to his lack of pace he often finds himself fucked.

Similarly to John Terry his poor positional sense often leads to a last ditch sliding tackle having to be made or throwing their body on the line. This of course gets rapturous applause from us fans because it shows commitment and bravery but the really good defenders don't need to do that. Just look at Ledley King, how often does he find himself in those positions?

*sigh* The Dawson debate appears to have reared it's ugly head again.

Seeing as we've got loads of new members, what's your take on this thread. I've made my views known on the podcast and on here, good player but not great.

Im with you I dont think Daws is as good as some people believe. However sometimes he has brilliant games which make him look superb.

For me, he just isnt good enough with ball at feet. What I mean by that is short sharp passes into midfield and bringing the ball out of defence. Or should I say, not AS GOOD as Ledley, Kaboul and Gallas.

Yes he can drop a cross field pass on to Lennons toes but he often overhits them too. You also need Lennon to have a superb 1st touch to make it worthwhile and that isnt always the case.

I have been impressed with how quickly he has come back into the team though and he was very good against Everton. I just feel he struggles when people close him down and quick accurate passing is required. He hits too many long balls imo (there seems to be a concerted effort this season to play out from the back) and can get caught out against quick technical players like Agbonglawhore and the like.

That said I would have him above most players when up against the likes of Andy Carroll/Kenwyne Jones/ and he will lay his body on the line against anyone.

Always plays with passion and gives 100% and seems to love playing for us, you cant put a price on that.

I fear for him when up agasint the likes of Silva/Aguero but then again, he has Suarez in his pocket at the end of last season.

Simple really. Good player but not as good as Kaboul, King or Gallas. He was great for us a couple of years back when our defence wasn't as good as it is now, but if everyone's fit, I don't think Dawson gets in the team.

Dawson is a monster when the ball is in the air - shame he fucked that one up at the weekend. But normally he wins everything.

Agree he is not as good as king with ball at feet, but then who is. King is just calmness personified!

Positionally not up to it hence the last ditch stuff, but a Yid through and through now. Not a centre half in a title winning first eleven I'm afraid, but tremendous third choice to have and cover.

When Kaboul gets exposed it tends to be his own doing due to losing concentration/ball watching.

In contrast, there are a few times when Dawson just gets embarrassed by better players, like Aguero earlier this season, or Torres a few years ago.

This just doesn't happen to Ledley. Because he's Ledley.

I love Dawson's running though walls, heart on sleeve attitude and he's a very good player, but I think at this stage that Kaboul is simply better.

Back
Top Bottom