Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Sanchez and Aurier, for different reasons, are part of the "almost good first team players" category. First of all, in my opinion they are both underrated. Sanchez is very good at actually defending - that quality is more often recognized than Aurier´s good ones. But they are both - and that´s not an unfair criticism - ready to coast us a goal every game, no matter how well they are playing.

Against City, Aurier made the penalty. In my opinion, that was not a penalty - or at least not something V.A.R should be interfering -, but it was a mistake anyway. And Sanchez gave away a bad pass, in the early minutes, that could have also coast us the game if they were sharper. Not for the first time.

But I like both.

I think Sanchez and Aurier, for different reasons, are part of the "almost good first team players" category. First of all, in my opinion they are both underrated. Sanchez is very good at actually defending - that quality is more often recognized than Aurier´s good ones. But they are both - and that´s not an unfair criticism - ready to coast us a goal every game, no matter how well they are playing.

Against City, Aurier made the penalty. In my opinion, that was not a penalty - or at least not something V.A.R should be interfering -, but it was a mistake anyway. And Sanchez gave away a bad pass, in the early minutes, that could have also coast us the game if they were sharper. Not for the first time.

But I like both.

I guess with Sanchez you could say that he’s an ongoing project.

In Aurier’s case, it might be the case of us having to take the rough with the smooth because he’s old enough to be set in his ways, I hope I am wrong.

If replying to me, it's his reading of the hoofed ball from back that he struggles with, when he has no pressure and time to think. Crosses and the like into the box are the ones he bosses.
It wasn't to you specifically, but considering Toby barely challenges for a ball in the air, and if he does he normally jumps below it, and yet some think Dav is the only one with a problem.

I can't understand what Dav has done to many on here. Supporters wife shagger perhaps?

But I like both.
What about Sanchez getting back in the first half to stop a certain goal caused by Toby racing out of the line and leaving a gaping hole?

It wasn't to you specifically, but considering Toby barely challenges for a ball in the air, and if he does he normally jumps below it, and yet some think Dav is the only one with a problem.

I can't understand what Dav has done to many on here. Supporters wife shagger perhaps?

To be fair, Toby is a bit calmer in regards to his physicality and judging of long balls.

Sanchez is still very young and I have fill belief that we have a real asset our hands. He needs to be getting the full run of games

Edit: I will watch closely to see how Toby reacts to the long ball. I know he does get under them a bit, but his glaring mistakes seem far less, but maybe I am missing his.

What about Sanchez getting back in the first half to stop a certain goal caused by Toby racing out of the line and leaving a gaping hole?
As I said, I think he is very good actually defending. And I also think he can become better and better with the ball.
Just don´t forget how many assists Aurier gave us. It´s the same logic.

To be fair, Toby is a bit calmer in regards to his physicality and judging of long balls.

Sanchez is still very young and I have fill belief that we have a real asset our hands. He needs to be getting the full run of games

Edit: I will watch closely to see how Toby reacts to the long ball. I know he does get under them a bit, but his glaring mistakes seem far less, but maybe I am missing his.

Nut shell: The longer the run of games; the better he's played.... We've seen this twice over now. Drip feed him games and his 'groove' suffers.

He is so often played on his weaker side too. Apart from his quality run alongside Jan (when Toby was out during Dav's debut season); when as time wore on he was pinging the odd up-field pass and beginning to look better on the ball.

Every time I've seen him play for Colombia he's been a standout player and looked assured, comfortable and a stabilising presence.

His problem is that he sometimes lets his brain go into autopilot and stops paying attention . The City chance where Hugo saves onto the post is a perfect example.

City had dropped off and let him have the ball but despite having the time to assess all his options he still went for a mindless zombie pass that could never have found its target. It’s the same kind of zoning out he does when he lets a harmless high ball bounce and become dangerous or tries to clear with the wrong foot when there is no need. Being in and out of the team is not really an excuse for doing the basics wrong.

He has amazing physical attributes and he is a player with big desire to defend and stop goals going in, but he has to engage his brain at all times. The best defenders are never surprised.

His weakness is playing against a Physical CF like Rondon who manage to brush him aside despite his size. He did not have that against MC which apart from 1 error had a good game. Tanganga should take on the Physical CF's not Sanchez.

His problem is that he sometimes lets his brain go into autopilot and stops paying attention . The City chance where Hugo saves onto the post is a perfect example.

City had dropped off and let him have the ball but despite having the time to assess all his options he still went for a mindless zombie pass that could never have found its target. It’s the same kind of zoning out he does when he lets a harmless high ball bounce and become dangerous or tries to clear with the wrong foot when there is no need. Being in and out of the team is not really an excuse for doing the basics wrong.

He has amazing physical attributes and he is a player with big desire to defend and stop goals going in, but he has to engage his brain at all times. The best defenders are never surprised.

I think it was last year against city where there was a lofted ball at midfield. He could have cheated it down or headed it back up into the air, but he got caught in two minds and headed it straight down into the ground and it found Jesus’s feat I believe. Then all hell broke loose. He just seems to get a bit flustered in those type of situations.

You put a proper DM in front of him and Toby and a lot of these errors will go away. They're both the first and last line of defence at the moment, which means that they're far more anxious when an opposition player picks it up in our third. You do stupid things when players like de Bruyne or Salah are running at you. Put someone in between and they won't be so eager to stop the play before it happens, as someone else will have that job.

Back
Top Bottom