Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very strange player. One game he can look imperious the next he can look like Bassong on acid, misjudging even the simplest bounce of the ball.

I still think he can become a top defender but the first step is to master the basics. I’m not convinced he’s done that yet. You can use his sporadic starts as an excuse but we are talking about the basics of defending. He seems to be prone to daydreaming and not paying proper attention, thinking he’s dealt with the danger before he has.

Maybe there is a degree of an attention/concentration thing too, but at times this season he's been martialing more experienced players like TA and looking like he absolutely belongs.

I don't think gametime is an "excuse"... There's a clear pattern over the course of his time here.

Massive in the second half
Massive in the first half too.

Yes him giving the ball away was a massive brain fart, but was it any worse than Hugo's mad dash into Tanganga, Toby going AWOL 2 or 3 times or Serge's penalty tackle?

I really am at a loss why so many people want rid of him or go out of their way to try and make out he's the only one who makes mistakes when our whole defence has done it all season.

Hes a bit dodgy on the ball. Hes like one of those defenders on Fifa. Takes ages to turn. Dodgy touch and control. Accident waiting to happen.

Upside is hes quick and strong.
Goodish defender with excellent speed and recovery marred by some poor judgement regarding the flight of long balls, mistimes his jump every now and then.

Distribution wise he is very average, the caveat with him is that you have to pair him with an excellent ball distributor.

I really wish Jose could improve his weakness because it’s just so obvious.

He suffers from looking much more jittery on the ball than he actually is. He’s doing ok. He’s quick and aggressive and good at sweeping stuff up.

We will know in the next 12 to 18 months what his trajectory will be.

He suffers from looking much more jittery on the ball than he actually is. He’s doing ok. He’s quick and aggressive and good at sweeping stuff up.

We will know in the next 12 to 18 months what his trajectory will be.

Yep.

Sakho and Rudiger are the same in that on the ball they look jittery or uncomposed when really they're fine with the ball at their feet.

He's arguably been our best defender this season. I say arguably as I think Aurier has been mostly brilliant defensively too. He's definitely been our best centre back.

Goodish defender with excellent speed and recovery marred by some poor judgement regarding the flight of long balls, mistimes his jump every now and then.

Distribution wise he is very average, the caveat with him is that you have to pair him with an excellent ball distributor.

I really wish Jose could improve his weakness because it’s just so obvious.
He keeps making judgment mistakes and he has not improved since he joined us.
Toby is baby-sitting him. He looks terrified when he has the ball. He has got away with howlers in the last 2 games.
Verts is a better player than Sanchez but until he signs a new contract then Sanchez will get games.

Toby is baby-sitting him. He looks terrified when he has the ball. He has got away with howlers in the last 2 games.
Verts is a better player than Sanchez but until he signs a new contract then Sanchez will get games.

I have been a staunch admirer of Vertonghen from the get go, I think he was better than Alderweireld for much of their time together, and agree he's a more composed footballer, but right now he's not better defensively than Sanchez who, despite not looking as relaxed and composed as Vertonghen (and never will) makes more important defensive "actions" (for want of a better term) than any of our other defenders.

And there have been a fair few occasions when Sanchez has got Alderweireld out of the shit too.

I don't think he's as bad on the ball as he appears sometimes, and sometimes, like yesterday, the problem is a lack of people showing for the ball, but he does need to learn to relax a bit.

Other way around chief.

Sanchez is babysitting Toby.

Playing Sanchez next to Toby allows Toby to drift out of the line and go at attackers one on one. Because 9 times out of 10 Sanchez is ready sprint in and clean up any possible mess following a Toby slip up. And Toby repays the favour when and if Dav slips up.

How about watching a game once in a while instead of living in memory?

No chance in world that we could have kept clean sheet with Jan-Toby pairing yesterday. Unfortunately both HAVE taken a step back, and Jan lack of pace has been shown painfully number of times this season.

Sanchez pace and power has bailed us out so very many times of late. Including in game where we kept unstoppable Liverpool on 1 goal. You know how many times this season they have only scored 1 goal?? 4 times out of 25! How many times has City been left without goals? ONCE across previous 24 games.

YES, I agree that he makes judgement errors occasionally and I hope he irons them out.
YES, his distribution is not on Toby's level. But guess what - that is why they are paired together. They complement each other. With Dav being more of no-bullshit CB diving into tackles, muscling attackers off the ball, clearing high balls etc. And big part of Toby's game is his distribution.

* all coming from person who has critizised Sanchez sharply in this thread 10+ times...

I still think Sanchez becomes our best CB for the foreseeable future, baring a crazy transfer. He's got the tools, he just needs to continue to put it together. He's taken another step up this season and is still only 23. The rest of this season and a full camp with Jose and co should help him wonders.

I still think Sanchez becomes our best CB for the foreseeable future, baring a crazy transfer. He's got the tools, he just needs to continue to put it together. He's taken another step up this season and is still only 23. The rest of this season and a full camp with Jose and co should help him wonders.
I think you have too much faith in him. He seems like a nervous mom on xanax when he gets the ball. I admit he is a good shot stopper and can break down an attack. But in all he needs to grow up and fast. Sometimes i wonder if his head is round. Trying to clear a header straight up in the air. I don't think he'll make it.

I think you have too much faith in him. He seems like a nervous mom on xanax when he gets the ball. I admit he is a good shot stopper and can break down an attack. But in all he needs to grow up and fast. Sometimes i wonder if his head is round. Trying to clear a header straight up in the air. I don't think he'll make it.

You very well could be right, but he's shown growth this season and again is only 23. He very well may never be what I hope he is, but remember a lot of people myself included thought the same things about Aurier, and he's seemed to have straightened himself out.

Back
Top Bottom