Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What needs to be addressed is why he makes the challenge (foul). He needs to learn that if he's not made up the ground he can't rectify the situation by fouling the player to try to make amends. At least not if he's in the box, which he was and would hopefully have realised he was.
Got ya. Point well made

I criticise Dav a lot but I can’t think of too many (If any) times he’s been rash in the box and given away pens

I also particularly enjoy the Neymar Face vs Advertising Hoarding battle. However, if you don't think that is a penalty then I'm afraid you've got your pro Spurs / Anti Neymar specs on. It was clumsy at best, rash at worst. I didn't watch the game, but whatever the reason for the challenge needs to be addressed.
I said it was a foul and therefore a pen. But I can see why the ref didn't give it, from his position & at normal speed, it looks like a shoulder to shoulder which wouldn't make it a pen even if he was put into the 12th row of the stands.

Definite penalty. Probably wouldn’t complain if they got two pens for that in fact.

However, great to see him getting stuck on and not getting shrugged off like a soft wee flower.

I said it was a foul and therefore a pen. But I can see why the ref didn't give it, from his position & at normal speed, it looks like a shoulder to shoulder which wouldn't make it a pen even if he was put into the 12th row of the stands.
Maybe it didn't help the case for a penalty with it being neymar. Who, on his most manly day, falls over if someone threatens to fart in his general direction

We haven't pressed high up the pitch for over a season now, that's primarily down to *probably* needing to look after Kane, Son and an injured Dele. So, the press has been dropped into midfield (a mid-block). There were signs of a high press being played in pre-season and in both Newcastle and Villa games, but as we ended up with near 80% possession there simply is nothing to press. When teams sit deep it's not about pressing, it's about moving the ball quickly, and using the width of the pitch. We should also be setting traps for the oppo to build, to get out of their defensive shape in the hope we can win the ball back by counter-pressing (doubt that would have happened against Newcastle but it did against Villa). The ONLY team that is consistently good at breaking down teams that put 10-11 behind the ball are City, what they move the ball quickly and use the width of the pitch so well, but one standout feature is they have rehearsed set of plays that get them the goals in every game, and that's a timed late run to the back post, this run is made from deep and made before the ball is even played, hello De Bruyne & Sterling combo.

We still have a major issue with Winks and Sissoko allowing players to run off them and them not engaging the player on the ball. Winks improved massively with this throughout last year. But the issue is exaggerated when the oppo by-pass the midfield with a long ball upfield, this is hard for either of them to be in position as they would be squeezing the space up the pitch. This is where we weren't aggressive enough, higher up the pitch, to stop the long ball. Winks actually picked up a "good" yellow when he pulled one of their players back to prevent them from building or playing that ball, we needed Son, Lucas in particular to do that. Again, look at City they will foul the fuck out of the oppo as soon as they lose possession (they conceded 14 fouls vs our 4 when we played them and look how much of the ball they had!!!).

We will continue to concede shots on our goal if we aren't putting pressure on the oppo when they are on the ball. This is the issue.
Really like this post, late well timed runs are so rare these days, Eriksen does them but Dele was brilliant at it when he was fit and got some big goals, really miss him in form (obvious I know). Agree we are just devoid of ideas when teams sit in, a different set of rehearsed plays that drag the oppo around (like City do) and show a different threat to their defense is really important to work on. Don't get me started on the clever fouls further up the pitch either, we're naive at times and successful teams are almost always brilliant at the darker arts.

Wow that was moany :eriksenlol:

It can’t always be about his position. I’ve only watched 20 mins and he has done his trade mark barge someone over for a foul, then instead of getting straight back he loses concentration. A better team counter and score with that shit. Then 10 min later he is under no pressure and does an extremely sloppy pass to nobody. I want him to do great, but I’m worried he won’t learn.

Didn't think he was that bad last night (definitely not the worst player on the pitch) not saying I want to see him a RB again.

Back
Top Bottom