Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is he did so well when Toby was out last year.

My armchair view of it is that he's much better in a 2 than a 3. He seems to read the game better when there is open space around him for him to run into. And that's what he has with Colombia in a partnership with the big, lumbering Mina.

But because Jan and Toby are so locked-in for us, he's always out there in a 3 where he has to make snap decisions on who to take and who to leave in a confined area, he doesn't have an island of his own to mark.

I don't think it's what's best for the club, but what's best for Dav is probably for Toby to move on.

My armchair view of it is that he's much better in a 2 than a 3. He seems to read the game better when there is open space around him for him to run into. And that's what he has with Colombia in a partnership with the big, lumbering Mina.

But because Jan and Toby are so locked-in for us, he's always out there in a 3 where he has to make snap decisions on who to take and who to leave in a confined area, he doesn't have an island of his own to mark.

I don't think it's what's best for the club, but what's best for Dav is probably for Toby to move on.

Him and Jan together were doing the business.

He had a decent enough game last night in the Copa America semi against Chile, pinged some pretty pinpoint long range crossfield passes during the match, still a bit suspect defensively at times.
For the first goal that Chile had disallowed, he and Ospina got in each other's way, but obviously watching on TV you can't tell who was at fault as regards giving the other player a call.

He had a decent enough game last night in the Copa America semi against Chile, pinged some pretty pinpoint long range crossfield passes during the match, still a bit suspect defensively at times.
For the first goal that Chile had disallowed, he and Ospina got in each other's way, but obviously watching on TV you can't tell who was at fault as regards giving the other player a call.

Keeper should own the box.. He should call and steamroll the defender if need be.

Keeper should own the box.. He should call and steamroll the defender if need be.
Yes, in that situation it's the keeper's call, but you couldn't tell from the pictures if Ospina called or not to Sanchez, if he did, it's down to Sanchez, if he didn't Sanchez was right to just go and try to clear the ball and Ospina was to blame.

Yes, in that situation it's the keeper's call, but you couldn't tell from the pictures if Ospina called or not to Sanchez, if he did, it's down to Sanchez, if he didn't Sanchez was right to just go and try to clear the ball and Ospina was to blame.

Didn't see the game mate... Just stating 'rule of thumb'.

Didn't see the game mate... Just stating 'rule of thumb'.
Spot on. One of my mates played in goal at quite a decent level, he always said that he would scream "keeper" and anyone that got in the way got clattered.
He used to say that was the difference between a good goalkeeper and a great one. A good keeper will make saves but a great does that and commands his box.

Last edited:
Why he had a great first season, had a hard season last year but has great ability and is young with Toby maybe leaving and Verts getting on why would we move on Sanchez.

I haven’t given up on him yet but he does worry me with any challenge in the box

Spot on. One of my mates played in goal at quite a decent level, he always said that he would scream "keeper" and anyone that got in the way got clattered.
He used to say that was the difference between a good goalkeeper and a great one. A good keeper will make saves but a great does that and commands his box.

I was told the same at kids level (and that as a GK the defenders 'work' for you).... That and never hesitate; whatever you do commit to it 100%.

Agreed. We have two young defenders in him and Juan that love a silly challenge.

Dav? ...When?

1 red card vs Watford for a debatable elbow and now he has a track record of silly challenges?

The few blunders he's made were simply getting outfoxed by an ST.

Sounds like typecasting Aurier as the man that can't take a throw because of one game (even tho u see them up and down the league every week going unpunished).

Dav? ...When?

1 red card vs Watford for a debatable elbow and now he has a track record of silly challenges?

Sounds like typecasting Aurier as the man that can't take a throw because of one game (even tho u see them up and down the league every week going unpunished).
People blame the Woolwich pen on him rather than the diving scumbag

Dav? ...When?

Agree that he doesn't have the reds or pens given to back my statement, but I do think he attempts physicality a bit too much when in dangerous positions. Sometimes, I think he just needs to rely on his immense athleticism to win his battles. There have been many shoulder shrugs where he has been caught out. Maybe not in the box, but when up field or when the ball is played on the flanks.

His mental errors are like his error against city, pool, or arse (can't remember who it was) where he headed a ball down into the ground, at the center line, and lost all control the play. It resulted in a goal I believe. He just makes some interesting choices that I think will be ironed out with game time. He def had a better first season that last year and that is down to minutes.

Agree that he doesn't have the reds or pens given to back my statement, but I do think he attempts physicality a bit too much when in dangerous positions. Sometimes, I think he just needs to rely on his immense athleticism to win his battles. There have been many shoulder shrugs where he has been caught out. Maybe not in the box, but when up field or when the ball is played on the flanks.

His mental errors are like his error against city, pool, or arse (can't remember who it was) where he headed a ball down into the ground, at the center line, and lost all control the play. It resulted in a goal I believe. He just makes some interesting choices that I think will be ironed out with game time.

You've entirely revised your criticism... (Previously "Silly challenges" a la Foyth's who HAS made a number of rash challenges resulting in reds and pens).

He def had a better first season that last year and that is down to minutes.

Yeh, he had a steady run in the side the year before with a settled back line around him.... In and out and a line-up in constant flux this year.

He's a big lad AND athletic.. He's learning what his body can do for him... If required don't you WANT him to be able to mix it up with the bigger STs? (Afterall, his doubters also gave him shit for being out-muscled by Rondon vs WBA....)

Give the guy a break. Let him grow... You'd think his first season would buy him some patience, not be a measuring stick to beat him with.

Last edited:
I was told the same at kids level (and that as a GK the defenders 'work' for you).... That and never hesitate; whatever you do commit to it 100%.
Yeah, he said as much, he was constantly talking to/screaming at his back four. He also came out with the "raised knee" that a lot of keepers favour every time he came out to catch a cross/corner.

Yeah, he said as much, he was constantly talking to/screaming at his back four. He also came out with the "raised knee" that a lot of keepers favour every time he came out to catch a cross/corner.

Don't blame him.... You get the crap kicked out of you otherwise... Especially in less 'fluffier' times and leagues.

Back
Top Bottom