Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DizdP8LX0AAY-rY.jpg:large

Ah, wut. Why in the world has Sanchez thread fell to 5th page (behind likes of Janssen etc)?!?

I just wanted to say that "Come on you Davinson! We'll need you, we'll need you bad now. Come on and show us your best!"

It seemed to me a bit like his confidence took a blow when Toby came back. His start of the season was not as good as his previous one with us. Though I was kinda surprised to see that from this season games he has started 8 out of 11 and played full 90 in 7 of those 8.

But anyway now that Jan is out and the games will come thick and fast, I'd expect him to raise his game both in back 3 with Dier dropped deeper and also next to Toby in classical 2 CB system.

Of course the lad played 2x90 mins at international break (4:2 win over USA at 12.10 and 3:1 win over Costa Rica in early hours today). But he is young and durable, so I'd expect him to be able to play a lot for Spurs as well.

Cruitial month coming up. But if we get through this time without missing Jan too much, then we can all agree that we have got a true gem on our hand in DS!

His confidence obviously took a bit of a blow when he was "relegated" once Toby came back. But he should be getting back into the swing of things now and playing two good international games will have done him good as well.

Just needs to play consistently, that's all.

Now Vertonghen is out for a few months, big chance for Davinson. Only negative is that hes likely to be on the left side of defence which will take him a bit to get used to.

His confidence obviously took a bit of a blow when he was "relegated" once Toby came back. But he should be getting back into the swing of things now and playing two good international games will have done him good as well.

Sadly he'll be demoted again when Jan returns. Considering how much we spent on him, this represents a dicey game to be playing...Toby can't leave quick enough in terms of Dav's development.

Sadly he'll be demoted again when Jan returns. Considering how much we spent on him, this represents a dicey game to be playing...Toby can't leave quick enough in terms of Dav's development.
Sad but true yeah. I obviously like both Jan and Toby but one of them has to make way for Davinson eventually

Sad but true yeah. I obviously like both Jan and Toby but one of them has to make way for Davinson eventually

"Eventually" may see Dav miss another year or more of regular gametime.

Selling Toby this past summer and bringing in a left footed heir to Jan, strategically, made more sense.

Well, I am torn about this statement.

I like Davinson.
But at the same time I feel that we should forget this "developing" as a main aim of the club. We have to play well. And for that we have to use the best players. When on form, Toby is among THE best CB's...
So... idn...no simple answer in that regard.

I'd like to see fair competition and the best takes place.

"Eventually" may see Dav miss another year or more of regular gametime.

Selling Toby this past summer and bringing in a left footed heir to Jan, strategically, made more sense.
What if Dave goes and shines as bright as he did filling in for Toby while filling in for Jan?

I love Davy, and I would rather Toby left, if we're only going to hang onto two of them, tbh. Davy is the future, I doubt Toby will be around after this season.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with this. Toby and Jan both seem to fall victim to significant injury layoffs each season nowadays, which in itself gives Sanchez plenty of opportunity to be a main man in defence, but regardless of this I believe we need three top CBs at our disposal to challenge on multiple fronts anyway.

Having only two 'first choice' CBs does avoid a selection headache, but would also leave us incredibly vulnerable to an injury crisis/player fatigue.

In addition to this, don't forget that having all three of Toby, Jan, and Davinson on our books allows Poch to slip into a back three where desired (yes, Dier could serve this purpose, but again you'd be stretching CDM resources and I don't think it's the best three-at-the-back option).

Yea Poch is just playing Toby as he is the "vet" and needs to be featured in order to get the best out of him (and the squad) while he is still here. I am 100% sure that Davinson is the long-term plan and will retake his starting spot as soon as Toby is sold.

Well, I am torn about this statement.

I like Davinson.
But at the same time I feel that we should forget this "developing" as a main aim of the club. We have to play well. And for that we have to use the best players. When on form, Toby is among THE best CB's...
So... idn...no simple answer in that regard.

I'd like to see fair competition and the best takes place.

In part i share your sentiment, but as i'm alluding to the sense of competition has been proven to only work one way when it comes to CB (Dav&Wimmer).

...We also can't dodge the investment factor. This isn't a case of the Soldado's and we don't have to budget to let our record signing flounder... We know Dav is good enough, it's just a case of when he get's promoted to first choice. If that means waiting 18months til Toby's out of contract regardless of his own form, i hope Dav is a patient lad.

Not sure I agree with this. Toby and Jan both seem to fall victim to significant injury layoffs each season nowadays, which in itself gives Sanchez plenty of opportunity to be a main man in defence, but regardless of this I believe we need three top CBs at our disposal to challenge on multiple fronts anyway.

Having only two 'first choice' CBs does avoid a selection headache, but would also leave us incredibly vulnerable to an injury crisis/player fatigue.

In addition to this, don't forget that having all three of Toby, Jan, and Davinson on our books allows Poch to slip into a back three where desired (yes, Dier could serve this purpose, but again you'd be stretching CDM resources and I don't think it's the best three-at-the-back option).

Emphasis is firmly on "...for Dav's development". In an ideal world i like the options factor, but players get itchy and/or get seduced by money-ball fc.

...Meanwhile, Toby's contract situ remains up in the air.

Isn't that what we said last year when Toby was hurt?

Injury and contract niggles kept him out the team. Ffwd to this year - Tobys bonafide return (he went into the WC considered in poor form/fitness remember) - and Dav was dropped despite playing no worse than Toby up early doors.

It could turn out that he is more than competent to play on the left side even being right footed.

We'll see. Versatility is rarely a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom