Darren Anderton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remember his reputation for being called Sicknote came from other fans long before Spurs fans started using it too. From what I recall people were mainly really behind him during his time at the club. It'd be a bit like saying all Spurs fans hate Poch and are against him just because there's a couple of people on here saying he needs to go after each game.

However I don't think 25 games per season is a very good record, especially since we really needed him back then because let's face it our squad was mainly total shite apart from a couple of star players, of which he was one.

I remember his reputation for being called Sicknote came from other fans long before Spurs fans started using it too. From what I recall people were mainly really behind him during his time at the club. It'd be a bit like saying all Spurs fans hate Poch and are against him just because there's a couple of people on here saying he needs to go after each game.

However I don't think 25 games per season is a very good record, especially since we really needed him back then because let's face it our squad was mainly total shite apart from a couple of star players, of which he was one.
Agree, when he is one of your best players the fear felt by the fans with with out of the team is amplified. I remember every time Charlie Adam came near Bale the crowd got their prayer books out.

I met Anderton just before halloween at a fancy dress shop in central. He flat out refused to shake my hand and completed ignored me when I tried to talk to him. I have met many footballers but he is the only one who has come across as a dick head

I met Anderton just before halloween at a fancy dress shop in central. He flat out refused to shake my hand and completed ignored me when I tried to talk to him. I have met many footballers but he is the only one who has come across as a dick head

Maybe he was injured?

Don't worry... you're not the first.
Have heard it on SEVERAL good authorities that he was a bit of a twat in terms of 'bothering to be nice' to fans...
Maybe he was just bitter that the post-football 'lookalike career' as Shaggy from Scooby-Doo never truly took off??

I was mascot when we played Hearts at Tynecastle in a preseason friendly. I was seven. The entire first team signed my autograph book (specially purchased for the occasion of course) with the exception of Erik Miserable Cunt Thorstvedt.

What does he honestly think should have been done differently? An Achilles transplant from Jamie Redknapp? He was a good player for us & was rewarded well. I bet his house is better than most of us on here. He's hardly on the breadline.

It's a bit like someone saying that someone who retires from the company now got better terms than someone who retired 20 years ago. It's all a bit bollocks really. He did well out of spurs. He should be grateful rather than spiteful. This is what pisses me off about football. If some bloke who was earning £10-15k a week 15 years ago doesn't feel he has had a fair deal, then he needs to give himself a shake by the throat- unless he was coached by one of these perverts who are all being extracted out of the woodwork. That is the scenario where a former player can say they were let down by the club.

Last edited:
Anderton blasts Tottenham for lack of 'loyalty' - Football365

“After 12 years I expected a little more loyalty,” he told Stadium Astro.

Asked who he blames for his exit, he relpied: “I would say it was Daniel Levy’s fault.

“They offered a contract to Jamie Redknapp, who came back and played the last four or five games of the season.

“I was furious about it.
I’m sat there with an achilles that isn’t great and I’m not fit :llorishuh:

and I’ve basically been released after 12 years. They most certainly didn’t look after me.

“I said to Daniel, ‘how could you do that to me?’.

“And he was like, ‘just feels like maybe it’s time for you to move on and Jamie and Louise are really settled here’.

“‘What do you mean settled there,’ I said. They had been there a year, I had been there 12 years – was I not settled?.”

Sorry Daz, but most of those 12 years were in the medical centre......is that not showing loyalty?
I think the problem was, he was too settled.

I remember towards the end playing a central midfield of Dazza and Sheringham....fuck mine.....watched us v Charlton and was astounded to see Anderton prancing away from challenges with his hands in a defensive position the whole game.

Nothing against him, but why come out with this shit now?

No sorry this is not the case. Over his career Anderton played an average of 26 games a season. He played more than once with doubt over his fitness and I never once saw him give less than he was able to give. This guy gave more to Spurs than 99% of the players we will ever see in our lifetime.

United ( & I think Liverpool ) came Calling with offers and he stayed. Why does that make him non Spurs ?

A cunt like Redknapp is a stain on our club. Jamie Redkanpp never gave a flying FUCK about Spurs. He cunted the club off when young and pissed off to Liverpool and when he came back he did the square route of FUCK all, hardly even making it to the final third of the pitch.

Anderton is spot on to be pissed off when that spice boy was looked after above him. If Anderton had retired at 37 with Spurs then that would have been justice, but to suggest he spent most of 12 years in the medical center fucking the club over is an injustice.

Conpaired to Sheringham as well....fuck me one pissed off to United when they were needed most and one stayed and it was not because of Injury....go listen to the Spurs Show Anderton Podcast and hear what he says about Spurs and how he was treated and then feel bad that Levy is a wanker, not Anderton.

Last edited:
what pisses me off about hoddle is that in most of our eyes he was the greatest player we'd ever had, but his view of us and the club seems to be a bit negative. I know as a pundit he's got to be impartial and he probably overcompensates with us but I really get the feeling we're below swindon in his heart. All that aside, he does come out with a lot of shite generally, and not just about disabled people.
Waddle is a fuck though. I loved him as a player, but he doesn't even acknowledge he was a Spurs player - its like he went from newcastle to marseille.
Jesus wept. You really think Hoddle sees any club below Spurs ? That man gave everything he could for us as a player and a manager and I've never heard him say anything that would make me think he does not feel EXACTLY as we all do !

You want to know about an ex player who don't like us then Jamie Redkanpp is your man. Never Glen Hoddle.

Dont forget it was much less of a squad game then though....its quite a lot to miss 13 league games a season, plus cups....

Most of the time we went out of the cups early. If 40 games was the most someone could reasonably expect, his appearance record is not bad at all. Especially when it was a couple of poor seasons in 12

Last edited:
I've met the guy twice and he was polite, Engaged and positive about Spurs and the past and could not have been nicer.

I've met the guy twice and he was polite, Engaged and positive about Spurs and the past and could not have been nicer.
Oh. Come on mate. You met him twice & he was nice to you. He ain't going to slag off Spurs when faced with an ambitious fan. I won't slag him off cos he was a shining light in shit times. But read the interview again. He is bitching about the Redknapp's. Doesn't that sound a bit sour? I'm sure he lives a better life than I do. In a better house. He deserves it because he lit up a stadium from time to time over several seasons. I can't even light up my own life . But he should chill out & enjoy it rather than mug off the club that gave him everything he has.

Most of the time we went out of the cups early. If 40 games was the most someone could reasonably expect, his appearance record is not bad at all. Especially when it was a couple of poor seasons in 12
Missing 15 league games a season is shocking, especially at a time when squads were not rotated.
As for the cups we won a final, lost a final and got to a few semis in his time..

Missing 15 league games a season is shocking, especially at a time when squads were not rotated.
As for the cups we won a final, lost a final and got to a few semis in his time..
You are of course right about the cups. Perhaps too quick to defend. I can accept. There would probably, in fairness be some seasons where he missed less than 15 games and some where it was significantly less.

Back
Top Bottom