Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you have honestly played Davies ahead of Rose in any of our big Champions League matches last season? I honestly don't get people who compare the two, Rose is a totally different level.

We won't get a better left back than him if(or when, it appears) we sell him, I guarantee you that.

I would have, Rose isn't very good anymord.

We have to remember that over the last few years Danny has spoken about wanting to leave and preferably head back up north

Guardiola rates him highly, Mendy is permanently injured so now they have one real left back. Delph has also left.

Depending on how much money they have maybe Newcastle is an option. Bruce tends to buy Spurs players wherever he goes

Thinking exactly the same thing about Bruce...if he does have money in his pocket I reckon he'll come knocking on the door.

I don't see why we should need to sell Rose for say 20 mil now.

I would have taken the deal year ago today. But now - I cant see that sum of 20 mil would outweigh the weakening of the squad for 2 years. Considering the money flowing around EPL and the stiff competition, I say that we would even be better off keeping him for 2 years and lose him for free than to let him go for such sum.

It might be different situation if we were offered 40 mil. And it would be different if he wouldn't have found his mojo last season. He fought hard and had quite some good games.

Right now 20 mil for starter is really shitty deal.

I would have taken the deal year ago today. But now - I cant see that sum of 20 mil would outweigh the weakening of the squad for 2 years. Considering the money flowing around EPL and the stiff competition, I say that we would even be better off keeping him for 2 years and lose him for free than to let him go for such sum.

It might be different situation if we were offered 40 mil. And it would be different if he wouldn't have found his mojo last season. He fought hard and had quite some good games.

Rose mental state is doing his price no good at all. I think 25m is most we can expect.

But he doesn't want to be here.... Get what you can and look to the future.... Bonus being it looks like it'll be to a non EPL team.

Much like Eriksen, clubs simply won't pay premium fees for want-away players (as they know that ultimately unhappy players are not worth keeping); that comes from having to "prize" them away from their current clubs.

In market context, even 100m for Hazard was cheap.

But he doesn't want to be here.... Get what you can and look to the future.... Bonus being it looks like it'll be to a non EPL team.

Much like Eriksen, clubs simply won't pay premium fees for want-away players (as they know that ultimately unhappy players are not worth keeping); that comes from having to "prize" them away from their current clubs.

In market context, even 100m for Hazard was cheap.

What is it based on that "he doesn't want to be here"?!?
I have seen 0 proof on that. He played last season like he cared.

All that I read from him in the end of the season was that he said he is not certain if he will be here or not. He did not say he wants to go somewhere - might have been equally a clue that he is pushed out of the door by club.

Outspoken, constantly stated his openness and desire to leave, slagged off the clubs transfer policies, is approaching 30 years of age and only has two years left on his deal and unfortunately even though it should be the case his mental health issues will devalue him in the eyes of a potential suitor.

He should be worth more than £20m though I agree but not that much more. £25m-£27.5m seems reasonable to expect.

Last edited:
What is it based on that "he doesn't want to be here"?!?
I have seen 0 proof on that. He played last season like he cared.

All that I read from him in the end of the season was that he said he is not certain if he will be here or not. He did not say he wants to go somewhere - might have been equally a clue that he is pushed out of the door by club.

- Wages/Google-gate.
- Homesick-gate.
- Stayed at home this summer to pursue a move.
- Rumoured to have had a bust up with Poch; the man who gave him a second chance.

...That stuff.

To his credit he has remained committed when on the pitch, but the above is not the back-story of a man happy in his work-place.

Outspoken, constantly stated his openness and desire to leave, slagged off the clubs transfer policies, is approaching 30 years of age and only has two years left on his deal and unfortunately even though it should be the case his mental heal issues will devalue him in the eyes of a potential suitor.

He should be worth more than £20m though I agree t not that much more. £25m-£27.5m seems reasonable to expect.

This. Physically, he'll decline sooner rather than later... Big diff. between him and Walker (eg); Walker was barely ever absent. AWB has a decade ahead of him and was bought on potential growth. It's not like 40/50m is the norm for a good FB yet. Take the 2 manc clubs out of the equation and I don't recall anyone paying such prices.

- Wages/Google-gate.
- Homesick-gate.
- Stayed at home this summer to pursue a move.
- Rumoured to have had a bust up with Poch; the man who gave him a second chance.

...That stuff.

To his credit he has remained committed when on the pitch, but the above is not the back-story of a man happy in his work-place.

Yea, I remember the google-gate. This was absurd. But I think that this homesickness issue came with the same scandal, wasnt it ? (where he pointed out that he'd like to "go back up north") .

About staying home... we don't know if this is his or the clubs wish.

I mean our task as a football club is playing the best football we can. And for that reason we have to keep the best possible team. Last year he played well. Like Hazard played well for Chelsea despite his constant links for 2 years. Just like Luka played for us despite the links. Just like Bale played for us despite the links.

There has to be a time when we step out of this idealistic bubble where "everyone has to be super happy puppies and fly on rainbows" -this is idea world. In real one we have to get the maximum results out of the players. That is the aim of a football club.

Outspoken, constantly stated his openness and desire to leave, slagged off the clubs transfer policies, is approaching 30 years of age and only has two years left on his deal and unfortunately even though it should be the case his mental heal issues will devalue him in the eyes of a potential suitor.

He should be worth more than £20m though I agree t not that much more. £25m-£27.5m seems reasonable to expect.
You're correct in a lot of your points but one thing both you and many others seem to misconstrue is this "constantly stated his openness and desire to leave." The only solid evidence of this was the brain dead interview where he hinted at it, but even during that I'm pretty sure he actually said he didn't want to leave. In fact, in many subsequent recent interviews he has said it will be the clubs decision if he is to leave, a point which would appear to be backed up further by Pochs comments today.

Yea, I remember the google-gate. This was absurd. But I think that this homesickness issue came with the same scandal, wasnt it ? (where he pointed out that he'd like to "go back up north") .

About staying home... we don't know if this is his or the clubs wish.

It's certainly not typical for a player of his standing in the squad... Pre-season tours are a commercial commitment as much as a preparatory one; otherwise we'd just stay home and play closed doors against Brentford and the like. The foreign hoards will soon stop buying tickets for meaningless games/cups if the stars aren't on display.

I mean our task as a football club is playing the best football we can. And for that reason we have to keep the best possible team. Last year he played well. Like Hazard played well for Chelsea despite his constant links for 2 years. Just like Luka played for us despite the links. Just like Bale played for us despite the links.

There has to be a time when we step out of this idealistic bubble where "everyone has to be super happy puppies and fly on rainbows" -this is idea world. In real one we have to get the maximum results out of the players. That is the aim of a football club.

A lot of it comes down to managerial philosophy... Fergie was a proponent of ship them out if they're not 100% on board.

Let's not forget TA & DR were both afforded a clean slate by Poch last summer... Their prior replacements (Davies & Sanchez) were hastily (IMO) dropped in their favour; granted both played pretty well in the season that followed, yet here we are again with doubts over the pair of them being here in a few weeks.

Just another reason why players should keep their business OUT of the press (Same as Eriksen, same as Modrich... Same as Defoe...)... It creates all this un-necessary speculation and discourse and gives them additional hurdles to negotiate should they end up staying.

Danny made this proverbial bed, not the club or the fans.

Last edited:
At work so this is short and sweet mate. In a five minute search I've seen articles about him being homesick when he joined us (I'm pretty sure we let him live up in Doncaster during the first year or two or at least spend most of his time up there) and only feeling settled down south 3-4 years ago, saying Spurs sell players his age which is simply not true (Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld prove that), that he has held talks about a loan to Schalke that didn't materialise, that he wanted the chance to talk to Chelsea, that an unnamed club asked him about his mental illness when negotiating with them and it made him want to hide in his car, that if the Champions League game was the last time he played for us that he wanted to go out with a bang etc.

I like Rose but he's definitely made it clear in the past that he's pretty comfortable with the idea of a move away not only from Spurs but from football potentially as well:

Last edited:

I think it's more than just the money ... far more about long term planning ...

Rose Out Sessegnon In .... as we don't have 'empty' squad places ....

That's replacing a 29 year old with a 19 year old - so who will likely be the better player in three years?

Danny has 24 months on his contract Ryan will have 60 or maybe 72 when he joins

Danny will go for 25m ... Ryan will cost 25m ... plus or minus a few million either way

Keep him and in two years Danny is worth 0m, but Ryan at 21 could be 50m ...

and from their personal perspectives ...

Danny can have a 'final career fling' with luck at a top European side where he can pick up big wages and a few domestic trophies

Ryan can join a CL club and have the opportunity to establish himself as a possible world class player ... plus a very decent salary as well ....

Even ignoring any personality issues this looks like a great move for all concerned ...

I'd be very surprised if these two deals are not contingent ... Danny Out - Ryan In

I think it's more than just the money ... far more about long term planning ...

Rose Out Sessegnon In .... as we don't have 'empty' squad places ....

That's replacing a 29 year old with a 19 year old - so who will likely be the better player in three years?

Danny has 24 months on his contract Ryan will have 60 or maybe 72 when he joins

Danny will go for 25m ... Ryan will cost 25m ... plus or minus a few million either way

Keep him and in two years Danny is worth 0m, but Ryan at 21 could be 50m ...

and from their personal perspectives ...

Danny can have a 'final career fling' with luck at a top European side where he can pick up big wages and a few domestic trophies

Ryan can join a CL club and have the opportunity to establish himself as a possible world class player ... plus a very decent salary as well ....

Even ignoring any personality issues this looks like a great move for all concerned ...

I'd be very surprised if these two deals are not contingent ... Danny Out - Ryan In

I couldn't agree more. Yes we are a football club but we are also a business that ultimately needs to look at ways to turn a profit. If we didnt show a clear first team path to Sessegnon for example would he be as keen to join etc?

Its risk/ reward but a year of Davies starting and Sessegnon learning in a straight swap financially will ultimately set us up for perhaps a decade, helps us with our long term HG issues and saves us from potentially having to fork out crazy money in 1-2 years time once Roses value depreciates.

Rose in one year will have 12 months left on his current deal, will be pushing 31 I think and command peanuts. The flip side is Sessegnon only has 12 months left now so will be worth half of what Fulham were looking for a year or two ago. It's a smart long term move even if on paper it doesn't seem to strengthen us for the here and now. We need to continue to strive to do well but also need to continue functioning in a self sufficient manner.

A Sessegnon for Rose straight swap money wise, especially if Pochettino is sold on Sess makes too much practical and financial sense. This would tie into the recent contract we've tied Davies, a reliable player still mid 20s down to.

For the record I hope we keep Danny, but if we need to lose him in order to secure Sessegnon that is something I begrudgingly understand. The best situation would see Rose stay if we can find a way of doing so but it ain't up to me, we just have to see how it all unfolds.

Last edited:
Stuff like that doesn’t clear up overnight. Even when he plays he is always wanting to fight someone. On top form he is our best full back but I think it’s probably best he goes

Has shown didn't heed the punishment he received for, nor the shit-storm created by, his initial media outburst too....

I couldn't agree more. Yes we are a football club but we are also a business that ultimately needs to look at ways to turn a profit. If we didnt show a clear first team path to Sessegnon for example would he be as keen to join etc?

Its risk/ reward but a year of Davies starting and Sessegnon learning in a straight swap financially will ultimately set us up for perhaps a decade, helps us with our long term HG issues and saves us from potentially having to fork out crazy money in 1-2 years time once Roses value depreciates.

Rose in one year will have 12 months left on his current deal, will be pushing 31 I think and command peanuts. The flip side is Sessegnon only has 12 months left now so will be worth half of what Fulham were looking for a year or two ago. It's a smart long term move even if on paper it doesn't seem to strengthen us for the here and now. We need to continue to strive to do well but also need to continue functioning in a self sufficient manner.

A Sessegnon for Rose straight swap money wise, especially if Pochettino is sold on Sess makes too much practical and financial sense. This would tie into the recent contract we've tied Davies, a reliable player still mid 20s down to.

For the record I hope we keep Danny, but if we need to lose him in order to secure Sessegnon that is something I begrudgingly understand. The best situation would see Rose stay if we can find a way of doing so but it ain't up to me, we just have to see how it all unfolds.

This is the #1 reason why I think Rose's exit is being over-egged.

Back
Top Bottom