Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah - who gives a shit what Rose has to say?

Perform like he did on Tuesday for the rest of the games he plays this season and we have a very useful player back in our team.

“It’s no coincidence that every day you read Real Madrid want him or United want him,” said left-back Rose. “It’s exactly what he deserves.

“What he has done here in the last four or five years has been amazing. Not only for myself, but the club. He has transformed how others think of us outside the club and he has transformed how we think of ourselves, and how we approach big games.

“The belief he gives everybody is just amazing. For example, Kyle Walker-Peters made a mistake in Barcelona, but that will not affect what the manager thinks of him. He will stick with Kyle no matter what. That’s the sort of man he is, once you win his trust it will take an awful lot to break that. He has been amazing for myself and this club, and we hope he is here for a very long time".

“It’s no secret all the teams have spent a lot more than what we have. The manager, or the club, did not make any signings in the summer and he is probably not going to make any signings in January.”

Asked why he believes Spurs will not sign anybody in the January transfer window, Rose added: “Well, I’ve not heard anything, so I am guessing. For him (Pochettino) to do what he has done and what he is doing now speaks volumes of him. Like I said, it’s no coincidence big teams are being linked with him and we hope he stays for a really long time.”

“We’ve gone to Barcelona and got a result,” said Rose. “Hopefully, the rest of Europe will take notice of that and fear being drawn against us in the next round. We’ve proved ourselves against the top teams in Europe, so roll on the next round. We’re looking forward to it whoever we get.”
Not gonna lie, if I was working on a transfer for January and wanted to keep it completely under wraps, I probably wouldn't tell Rose about it.

:levyeyes:

That's all true. But why is he giving them the ammo in the first place?

He isn't involved in transfers. He should just say nothing. It creates unnecesssary headaches for Poch.
This. Rose knows exactly what he's doing when he says stuff like this. He knows damn well what the media are like in England when it comes to twisting words. Even if he may well have a point at times with some of his comments/insinuations, it just gives the media more ammunition to go at Poch/the club.
The guy needs to learn how to shut the fuck up.

This. Rose knows exactly what he's doing when he says stuff like this. He knows damn well what the media are like in England when it comes to twisting words. Even if he may well have a point at times with some of his comments/insinuations, it just gives the media more ammunition to go at Poch/the club.
The guy needs to learn how to shut the fuck up.
Yeah....he's really created some miserable migraines for Poch. That's why he keeps getting played, right?

The fact is that Poch is, and always has been, quite fond of Rose. Whether you like him talking to the press or not, it's clear Poch doesn't care at all. So he'll keep speaking his mind and Poch will keep selecting him. The fact that people still waste energy getting twisted up about it is, frankly, sad.

And it's been pretty clear over the past 18 months that those who let these things rile them up are the reason the press keeps doing this. No one outside Spurs supporters gives a shit. And anyone who can keep a level head and actually read the articles, rather than immediately go off ranting over the headline, can see that his quotes are never what they're made out to be.

Last edited:
As was said earlier, Danny should be admired for speaking his mind. Not ridiculed.
He's clearly an intelligent principled individual not prepared to just spew out the robotic monologue we see from so many footballers.
I've always found his comments interesting, refreshing and well worth listening too.
In fact football as a whole would be so much more connected to the fans if more players followed his lead.
And let's not forget, he's also battled mental issues while performing fantastically for Spurs down the years.
Danny Rose, legend

Last edited:
Yeah....he's really created some miserable migraines for Poch. That's why he keeps getting played, right?

The fact is that Poch is, and always has been, quite fond of Rose. Whether you like him talking to the press or not, it's clear Poch doesn't care at all. So he'll keep speaking his mind and Poch will keep selecting him. The fact that people still waste energy getting twisted up about it is, frankly, sad.

And it's been pretty clear over the past 18 months that those who let these things rile them up are the reason the press keeps doing this. No one outside Spurs supporters gives a shit. And anyone who can keep a level head and actually read the articles, rather than immediately go off ranting over the headline, can see that his quotes are never what they're made out to be.
As was said earlier, Danny should be admired for speaking his mind. Not ridiculed.
He's clearly an intelligent principled individual not prepared to just spew out the robotic monologue we see from so many footballers.
I've always found his comments interesting, refreshing and well worth listening too.
In fact football as a whole would be so much more connected to the fans if more players followed his lead.
And let's not forget, he's also battled mental issues while performing fantastically for Spurs down the years.
Danny Rose, legend
I'd go along with these schools of thought if I thought it was a case of Rose having the best interests of Tottenham Hotspur at heart when he speaks to the press. In my honest opinion, he most certainly doesn't. Something clearly happened during his long injury lay off that caused a deep resentment from him towards the club. I'm convinced he says things which he knows will be spun and paint the club in a bad light. Don't get me wrong, on his day he's an outstanding left back, but I think for all parties sake it will be best if he's moved on in the summer and he becomes someone else's problem. Finding a buyer will be quite challenging though I would imagine.

I'd go along with these schools of thought if I thought it was a case of Rose having the best interests of Tottenham Hotspur at heart when he speaks to the press. In my honest opinion, he most certainly doesn't. Something clearly happened during his long injury lay off that caused a deep resentment from him towards the club. I'm convinced he says things which he knows will be spun and paint the club in a bad light. Don't get me wrong, on his day he's an outstanding left back, but I think for all parties sake it will be best if he's moved on in the summer and he becomes someone else's problem. Finding a buyer will be quite challenging though I would imagine.
Finding a replacement would be more challenging. We cannot bring in a foreign player. Fulham will not sell to us and there is no homegrown player better. His first interview was encouraging the club to buy and this time he is doing the opposite and saying we will buy no one. While he performs on the pitch like against Barcelona, he stays.

Can you imagine how much chaos would be created in transfer windows if all squad players, 28 or so, from the 20 PL clubs spoke about transfers like Danny Rose?!

I think Rose knows his stock has fallen considerably in the last 18 months - obviously due to injuries, but also he hasn't been able to dislodge Davies. Lets be frank - his performances when he was given a start were hardly warranting praise but because it was Rose we all wanted him to get an extended run of starts because that could get back the fire in his belly back. I think Barcelona showed he still has it but now it's a matter of showing consistency.

Rose's chances of a big move are very unlikely now so I take his comments as more wanting Tottenham to do everything possible to win major silverware. And I suspect he does speak for most of the dressing room (at least those who have been here for the whole Poch reign) because we have come so close that we deserve it. They deserve it.

Finding a replacement would be more challenging. We cannot bring in a foreign player. Fulham will not sell to us and there is no homegrown player better. His first interview was encouraging the club to buy and this time he is doing the opposite and saying we will buy no one. While he performs on the pitch like against Barcelona, he stays.
Vorm, Toby, Dembele, Wanyama, Nkoudou, Janssen, Llorente are all extremely likely to be sold within the next 2 windows. The home grown thing is not as pressing as is being made out. If a decent offer comes in for Rose next Summer, he'll be gone.

Danny Rose, legend

Come on JT, there's nothing intelligent about slagging the club off for signing players "fans need to google" when he was a player signed from Leeds reserves who no-one had heard of, and some of his team mates were similar. There's nothing principled about slagging off the club that has just paid you a few million quid whilst you couldn't work for months due to injury, or the coach who'd help develop your career and help you personally too. He's little diatribe, featuring his desire for "a move back north" was ignorant and lacking integrity.

I have no problem with players speaking candidly, especially when they have something intelligent and insightful to say and the articulate it well. I don't even mind players talking about their ambition to play elsewhere, as fans we forget they don't support this club, to them it's a job, and a short career, but they don't have to stoop to crass stupidity and insult their employer who is paying them handsomely, their team mates and the fans in the process.

Certainly didn't look fit enough to play today, I imagine he probably wouldn't have played if Vertonghen/Dier were fit and Davies would have played left back instead. Surprised that we didn't just play KWP at left back if that was the case.

Loads of players would have asked to have been subbed if they hurt themselves like that. Warrior.

After the monster performance at Barca for me today was just about him not getting injured.

Personally enjoyed that him and Davies were on the field together, little reminder that even if they usually compete for the same spot we're the same team.

Back
Top Bottom