Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy? Im thrilled at the latest news regarding Poch's contract. Thought I'd made that pretty clear. What do you me to do, post some pics of me dancing round my workplace naked or something? Jeez!

Why not?

I could do with a laugh after watching the cricket morning session

I agree that it was a breathtaking back line, but it was the players themselves that upset the apple cart by agitating for a move. We will never again find ourselves in a situation where we have to let people go for nothing as they have been allowed to run their contract down - Daniel learns his lessons well.
IMO, you are doing a disservice to Trippier and Ben - they may not be as fluid as Walker and Rose, but they are not talentless cloggers. More importantly, they want to play for us and give their all when they do play.

Agree with most of that but Tripps and Ben just aren’t good enough but yes they both give 100%

On paper, it's indeed startling, but when considering the detail... Not so much.
Yeah, it was only after I posted that I saw Mrs. P's post that they all wanted to go and not the club. In fairness though if you were to take 3 first choice defenders out of any team it would normally have an effect.
Not so with us though with Jan stepping up, Sanchez looking to be a real star and Tripps and Davies doing a good job.

Yeah, it was only after I posted that I saw Mrs. P's post that they all wanted to go and not the club. In fairness though if you were to take 3 first choice defenders out of any team it would normally have an effect.
Not so with us though with Jan stepping up, Sanchez looking to be a real star and Tripps and Davies doing a good job.

Exactly, this isn't akin to losing Keane & Berba or S'oton getting rinsed consecutive windows in a row.

Amazes me that whilst lambasting the clubs lack of spending, the same suspects have the gaul to indirectly imply that 40m for Sanchez was in the name of mere depth and double down in denial that we have a progressive fwd thinking trf policy in place.

On paper, it's indeed startling, but when considering the detail... Not so much.
Yes. But what it does suggest is there must be something fundamentally wrong with our wage structure or something, that has led to the situation arising. If I Posted on here that by summer 2019 we will have sold Kane, Dele and Eriksen I'd be labelled a cunt or gooner and chucked in the bin.
And the same would have happened if 18 months ago I'd said the same thing about Danny, Toby and Walker. There's no point burying your head in the sand to try and justify it. It's a situation that rightly warrants debate and needs to be addressed

Last edited:
Yes. But what it does suggest is there must be something fundamentally wrong with our wage structure or something that has led to the situation arising. If I Posted on here that by summer 2019 we will have sold Kane, Dele and Eriksen I'd be labelled a cunt or gooner and chucked in the bin.
And the same thing would have happened if 18 months I'd said the same thing about Danny, Toby and Walker. There's no point burying your head in the sand to try and justify it. It's a situation that rightly warrants debate and needs to be addressed

Yup... It's been distorted by the financial doping of the likes of Chavs, City & PSG.

Sure it warrants debate, as long as BOTH parties are prepared to accept the facts of the scenario... Not just latch onto any old negative spin in the name of reinforcing their widely recognized, already established stance.

Last edited:
Yes. But what it does suggest is there must be something fundamentally wrong with our wage structure or something, that has led to the situation arising. If I Posted on here that by summer 2019 we will have sold Kane, Dele and Eriksen I'd be labelled a cunt or gooner and chucked in the bin.
And the same would have happened if 18 months ago I'd said the same thing about Danny, Toby and Walker. There's no point burying your head in the sand to try and justify it. It's a situation that rightly warrants debate and needs to be addressed

Nope it just suggests you're an annoying whining troll ....

You are forever posting about our best players leaving ... how many have left? Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Jan, Son, Eric, Hugo, Danny the list goes on ... far as I know they're all still here, most on new contracts ...

We've bought in a 21 year old FB to replace a 30 year old injury risk FB (who hasn't even left yet) ... you'd think the world had ended

You just love to post gloom and doom "3/4 of the best back line in England sold off in 12 months" when A they were the best defence three years ago, not 12 months ago ... and B so far only one of them has left ...

You're a troll of the worst kind, insidiously picking at issues that just don't exist, or exaggerating every little thing that's not 100% correct ... you might say it's 'creating discussion' I just think it's 'sad and pathetic' ....

If you want to be a negative cunt post in all the weird and wonderful threads on here about politics, food, cricket even in the toilet ... but just drop the constant 'anti Spurs' bollocks on the football threads ...

By the way sorry your boys lost last night .... NOT

Last edited:
I don’t think Everton would pay 40m for Rose, but if they were to, would people accept that? I’d probably take that

100%

We will NEVER get that much for Rose again.

He is probably unlikely to ever sign a new deal with us (more that we are probably unlikely to offer him a new one). He's not getting any younger and we aren't strengthening a direct rival

100%

We will NEVER get that much for Rose again.

He is probably unlikely to ever sign a new deal with us (more that we are probably unlikely to offer him a new one). He's not getting any younger and we aren't strengthening a direct rival

The situation is certainly different that it was in previous years, especially as Poch just signed a new deal. That said, I still have a bad feeling of selling a LB and thinking back to when we would play Naughton as LB occasionally. I don’t want a similar situation in which Walker-Peters is then forced into LB and will be judged on his not preferred position.

You are right, 40m for an aging LB who hasn’t shown he’s back to being fully fit and to not a direct rival, is good business.

Who’d we be replacing him with and how much would they cost?

My guess is that if said replacement is less than £40M he’d likely be a gamble (Tierney) or a downgrade (Bertrand).

I look around and don’t see many top class left backs - take the rest of the top 6: None of theirs bar the injured Mendy would be on par with Rose.

Think we should be very careful here (despite his BS last summer and two long injuries).

My guess is that if said replacement is less than £40M he’d likely be a gamble (Tierney) or a downgrade (Bertrand).

I look around and don’t see many top class left backs - take the rest of the top 6: None of theirs bar the injured Mendy would be on par with Rose.

Think we should be very careful here (despite his BS last summer and two long injuries).
2018 Danny Rose is sadly not on par with pre 2018 Danny Rose either

Tru dat

But who’s better who we’re likely to get?
There are plenty of good left backs out there. Few with the same pure physical attributes of Rose. But plenty who offer a more rounded performance. Mendy at Lyon, Max at Augsburg or Tierny at Celtic to name a few.

If Poch has shown anything it is that he can improve defenders. I mean he made Rose and Walker into world beaters (lets not forget that they were not without criticism before Poch arrived)

Bertrand turns 29 in August, which is weird cause it seems like he got old really fast. No way he's getting bid for by our club at all.

Tierney is interesting but unproven, and could turn out to be Hutton 2.0. I have a feeling he'll still be available at the end of this next season if we want him.

Very little downside risk to keeping Rose for another season. But potentially a lot at risk for us by selling him with an unproven replacement. Why create drama? Other positions need much more attention. I hope we just leave it be and keep our focus on our current needs. Already have enough to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom