Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair mate, unless we address our stifling wage structure and move with the times it will be a difficult summer. Poch has miraculously moulded a team of A* players on B+ wages. It's not just the mirror, pretty much every paper and pundit, including ex Spurs, are saying the same thing
Why do people keep saying this? It's widely known that our income is significantly less than that of the 5 other teams in the top 6 hence we pay less wages.

We also pay higher wages than those below us. I could understand this argument if teams below us were paying higher wages than us.

One problem is some people (not saying this is you) will see Palace paying Zaha 110 a week and then say "if they can why can't we...". I won't bother explaining the reason why that's the fucking stupidest argument on the world because it'd be a waste of effort.

We are currently punching above our weight from a financial point of view. If we could afford to pay the likes of Rose and Walker more money to make them stay I'm sure we would/will.

Why do people keep saying this? It's widely known that our income is significantly less than that of the 5 other teams in the top 6 hence we pay less wages.

We also pay higher wages than those below us. I could understand this argument if teams below us were paying higher wages than us.

One problem is some people (not saying this is you) will see Palace paying Zaha 110 a week and then say "if they can why can't we...". I won't bother explaining the reason why that's the fucking stupidest argument on the world because it'd be a waste of effort.

We are currently punching above our weight from a financial point of view. If we could afford to pay the likes of Rose and Walker more money to make them stay I'm sure we would/will.

Danny Rose is one of the best in Europe - we should break the bank to pay him what he deserves. I just don't buy the argument that suggests we cannot afford it.
There are many, many articles that suggest that when we move into the new stadium - financially we move into the same league as the other top teams.
This, combined with 2 consecutive champions league finishes, our league finishes over the last 2 years and the massive increase in TV money should allow us to pay our top players what they deserve.

I'm not saying we should follow the Manchester structure of having every player on 100K plus - but we certainly must loosen the purse strings otherwise these players will go, the manager will go, and we'll find ourselves at square one again.

Danny Rose is one of the best in Europe - we should break the bank to pay him what he deserves. I just don't buy the argument that suggests we cannot afford it.
There are many, many articles that suggest that when we move into the new stadium - financially we move into the same league as the other top teams.
This, combined with 2 consecutive champions league finishes, our league finishes over the last 2 years and the massive increase in TV money should allow us to pay our top players what they deserve.

I'm not saying we should follow the Manchester structure of having every player on 100K plus - but we certainly must loosen the purse strings otherwise these players will go, the manager will go, and we'll find ourselves at square one again.
Sorry but your talking nonsense. "Break the bank" for 1 and we'd have to do it for almost the entire first 11 because they are all worth it.

Utds shirt deal is worth 53m a year. Ours is 16m. How does the new stadium fix that?

The stadium will certainly help us increase our wage bill but it'll be a long way off before we are truly on a financial par with the likes of Utd, City, Chelsea.

Liverpool and Woolwich are probably closest to us but Liverpool have a ridiculously high marketability around the world still despite the fact they've been wallowing around 6th place in recent years.

All our recent league finishes have done financially is help cover the cost of the new stadium a lot easier.

We are moving in the right direction but throwing money we don't have to compete with the money rich clubs is not the right move at all. Ask Leeds fans how that can pan out.

As far as turnover goes we are significantly ahead of Everton but miles behind Liverpool, Woolwich, Utd, City, and Chelsea. All the new stadium really does is make sure that gap doesn't widen significantly in the short-term and gives us a chance to sustain higher turnovers in the future. Levy and the marketing people will be earning their wages in the next 5 years or so.

When we were at the planning stage with the stadium i think i saw that match-day revenue would increase by around £30 million a year - at the time that would have put us up around Woolwich's level, but since then, match-day revenue has shrunk significantly as a proportion of premier league clubs income. Sponsorship deals and tv money are now much more important.

We paid fuck all for him, so surely we could afford to pay him what his current market value suggests he deserves. We are a big club after all.

We can also expect to be reimbursed for the big wage money on most of these players if we do sell them as the majority of our squad is increasing in value exponentially under the tutelage of Magic Mauriccio

To be fair mate, unless we address our stifling wage structure and move with the times it will be a difficult summer. Poch has miraculously moulded a team of A* players on B+ wages. It's not just the mirror, pretty much every paper and pundit, including ex Spurs, are saying the same thing

Probably the same papers and pundits that over the years have been saying player wages are out of control and too high...

None of us know the specific finances at the club but here's a example:

If we pay say 10 first team players 100k a week that would be 1m a week on their wages. 52m per year.

As I mentioned utds shirt sponsorship is 53m a year so that alone would cover them paying those wages. Ours is 16m so we'd have to make that up elsewhere.

You'd have to assume that for any other commercial and sponsorship deals there is a similar gap in our income compared to Utd. So that in itself demonstrates why we can't afford to pay anywhere near the kind of wages they can and do.

Chelsea and city are playing a completely different game as they are bankrolled by their oil rich owners and as I mentioned earlier Liverpool and Arse (while likely the closest financially) are still years ahead commercially while Arse have had 20 years consistent CL money.

All of the above is quite clear so I don't see how anyone can keep flippantly saying we should match or compete with these clubs on wages.

With Pablo Zabaleta and Gael Clichy leaving, Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak says signing replacement full-backs are a priority.

"Full-back is clear both on the right and the left are areas that require investment from our side.

"Pep [Guardiola] relies heavily on that position. The way he plays, and you’ve seen glimpses of that this year, he has a big affinity to that full-back position on the right and the left, and he has a big requirement in terms of the type of players that fit the role he wants for that position."

£150mn the pair or fuck off.

I've put together the chart below for anyone who want to know the latest publicly available *facts*....

Premier league revenue for the financial year 2014-2015. I haven't checked, but I guess it's likely we're talking about April - April, unless footy teams all report accounts to coincide with the season?

p9Na0Uj.png

As far as for when the stadium is complete you've got to imagine that we'll be in the top echelon for match day revenue, and hopefully getting closer on broadcasting. But it really is the commercial aspect where we fall down. We just aren't as bigger draw globally as Liverpool or United, and we don't have the income from stadium naming rights etc. that City have. I personally think we'll end up on level footing with Woolwich when the current project is realised.

Last edited:
I've put together the chart below for anyone who want to know the latest publicly available *facts*....

Premier league revenue for the financial year 2014-2015. I haven't checked, but I guess it's likely we're talking about April - April, unless footy teams all report accounts to coincide with the season?

p9Na0Uj.png

As far as for when the stadium is complete you've got to imagine that we'll be in the top ecehlon for match day revenue, and hopefully getting closer on broadcasting. But it really is the commercial aspect where we fall down. We just aren't as bigger draw globally as Liverpool or United, and we don't have the income from stadium naming rights etc. that City have. I personally think we'll end up on level footing with Woolwich when the current project is realised.

It was never gonna be the antidote to financial doping that many expect.

p9Na0Uj.png

As far as for when the stadium is complete you've got to imagine that we'll be in the top ecehlon for match day revenue, and hopefully getting closer on broadcasting. But it really is the commercial aspect where we fall down. We just aren't as bigger draw globally as Liverpool or United, and we don't have the income from stadium naming rights etc. that City have. I personally think we'll end up on level footing with Woolwich when the current project is realised.
No doubt our revenue will increase, It's the sole reason why we are building the stadium. We will not be on an equal footing though, Woolwich are sitting on £250m cash at the bank and have effectively paid for their stadium. They are a decade ahead of us!

What we are doing is joining this group, but with a huge amount of work to do to catch up. Perhaps the most fundamental and immediate impact is it enables us to pull away from the clubs bellow us. The financial gap between us and newcastle is smaller to us and Liverpool. This should well and truly cement our position in the top echelon. You are spot on with the commercial side of our business, it is fair to say that this element to our worst performing part of the business, all the top clubs have pulled further away from us even in this last year (published accounts), the gap is getting bigger. ManU's kit deal with Adidas on it's own is worth £15m per year more than our entire commercial operation put together.

Im tired of the greed in the game.....if 80 grand a week is too little just fuck off then.
We talk about rich owners destroying the game and ticket prices etc but the simple fact is that no one has raped the game more than footballers and their disgusting demands.
Sorry, if you want more money, stop giving your slimey agents millions and millions of your hard earned cash to broker deals that you could very easily do yourself.

Makes me laugh.....
Adidas "hi there Beckham, do you want 300m to wear our clothes?"

Beckham: "yep"

Easy as that but they pay agents to tell them it's a good idea to make lots of money. Err, don't you know that yourself?

I'm all for universal wage caps and mandatory player representation by the PFA.

Football is not about players holding our clubs to ransom......they earn despicable amounts as it is.

Ten grand a week is obscene money, but we are looking at it like they would be homeless from it. Time the players stopped milking us.

On principal I completely agree with the point you have articulated but I will state that footballers mostly get only what their paymasters can afford in terms of remuneration. Those examples where clubs and owners lose their minds are chronicled for all to see.

That somebody would additonally pay Beckham and others what we rightly consider extortionate and I agree obscene sums says more about us as sheep than it does about Beckham for taking the stash of gold bullion.

To a lesser or greater extent we would all continure to support the club of our childhood but would we have that same enthusiasm to go and watch, listen on the radio, buy the merchandise if we were unsuccessful, unexciting and not blessed with some super talent? Ultimately it is the quality of that talent which draws the appeal. Why else were we on the box so often last season?

I get what you say and in a normal world where structures and levels of pay resembled productivity, there is no way one person putting the ball in the net compared to another, making a match-saving tackle or pulling off a miraculous save would draw such unequal pay but this is the madness of the Premier League.

Mate, unless you can get to a point where billions are paid by the broadcasters to clubs who then invest in their local areas to find and develop their best talent, then sadly you will have to like it or lump it.

It is sickening but like house prices in this country it just seems to defy all known laws of affordability.

I know this isn't the right place for this, but it's where the discussion was taking place.

I did some digging and the following chart is from the accounts of 15-16. Turns out most clubs report accounts to the end of May or June. So these figures have actually probably been available since March.

I've got lots more info in Excel charts for all the "Big 6" teams if anyone wants the raw data.

One thing is for certain though, Woolwich didn't have £250,000,000 cash then. In fact at this point in time we had more cash available than them.

These numbers go to show what an absolutely incredible job our management team are doing, and in that I am including the business management as well as the playing side.

Bear in mind that "Wages" will be for the whole club and not just the playing staff, which is why I included the number of employees for reference.

trXIVRN.png

I know this isn't the right place for this, but it's where the discussion was taking place.

I did some digging and the following chart is from the accounts of 15-16. Turns out most clubs report accounts to the end of May or June. So these figures have actually probably been available since March.

I've got lots more info in Excel charts for all the "Big 6" teams if anyone wants the raw data.

One thing is for certain though, Woolwich didn't have £250,000,000 cash then. In fact at this point in time we had more cash available than them.

These numbers go to show what an absolutely incredible job our management team are doing, and in that I am including the business management as well as the playing side.

Bear in mind that "Wages" will be for the whole club and not just the playing staff, which is why I included the number of employees for reference.

trXIVRN.png
Hello mate, this bloke runs a blog on all football clubs finances and does detailed analysis of each club. Similar to what you have done.
The money we had in our account you refer to has already been spent on the stadium. I got Woolwich's cash balance wrong, this is what it is and it only gets bigger year after year.

Eeurghh. I've just worked out that Chelsea have made an accumulative operating pre tax loss over the last 5 years of £384m!!

How can this be allowed to continue?
I also note however that they are now paying interest on their loans. I would imagine this is to do with FFP?

Hello mate, this bloke runs a blog on all football clubs finances and does detailed analysis of each club. Similar to what you have done.
The money we had in our account you refer to has already been spent on the stadium. I got Woolwich's cash balance wrong, this is what it is and it only gets bigger year after year.

Hmmm interesting. I've literally just picked the accounts for the companies that match what the Guardian published last year and quoted the "Cash at bank" figure. I'll double check.

Mate, unless you can get to a point where billions are paid by the broadcasters to clubs who then invest in their local areas to find and develop their best talent, then sadly you will have to like it or lump it.

Wouldnt that be something....

The money thing will only get worse, FFP has failed, thats why clubs with 500M debts are still splashing the cash and Chelsea and City are "self sufficient"....hahahahahahah

I think its disturbing that most footballers are working class lads that forget very quickly what it was like kicking a flat ball around the estate. A few years after coming through the academy gates as quivering skinny little boys, shitting their pants that might not make it, they are now holding their clubs to ransom.

"Give me enough to buy 2 brand new Porsche Turbos every week or Im off"

And then have the nerve to pretend its about silverwear.

trXIVRN.png

You only looked at the Arse Football Club PLC, and needed to look at the Arse Holdings PLC, which has their consolidated group accounts. Cash balances from the latter below

Capture.jpg

Back
Top Bottom