Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's so annoying when pundits always add the classic "he's more comfortable going forward than defending" bit about Rose (and Walker for that matter) when it's so obviously not true. When was the last time Rose was up against a player that skinned him defensively? I think it was two seasons ago at Anfield when Sterling ran him ragged and they won 3-2.

No one gets past Rose.

Made this same point to my mates after the game - Souness giving his usual "Walker and Rose are great going forward - that's their strength" shit. Mate can you not just admit that they are great full backs because defensively they are sound as fuck. Nobody beats them one vs one which gives us huge strength defensively. In fact I'd go as far as to say Walker is more crucial for his defensive contribution than his offensive contribution.

They are the nearest thing to our 1950's Push and Run wing backs as anything i've seen in my lifetime!

Their pace going forward merely glosses over the fact that they are both excellent defenders... the fact Rose started out as a winger only helps him when going forward... but defensively, both of them are up there with whoever else Sky/BBC officially regard as 'quality' Full-backs!

Made this same point to my mates after the game - Souness giving his usual "Walker and Rose are great going forward - that's their strength" shit. Mate can you not just admit that they are great full backs because defensively they are sound as fuck. Nobody beats them one vs one which gives us huge strength defensively. In fact I'd go as far as to say Walker is more crucial for his defensive contribution than his offensive contribution.
Agree fully that they don't get beaten one on one, but the issue is more that because they are so prone to getting forward, they are often well out of position should the opposition manage to launch a quick counter. However - and this is what Souness etc don't say - our CBs/DMs are very good at moving over and covering for them when this happens. It's almost like they've been coached to play that way, or something...

"My mind was made up that I had to get out of Tottenham and go somewhere to play. I didn't think I could take another season of playing only when certain people decided they didn't want to play in certain games."

Very interesting. He's gotta be talking about BAE?
That stuck out for me too. It speaks volumes about what was inherently wrong at Spurs for some time, and under HR. Players expecting to be picked and doing so, regardless of how they trained/performed and sliding games they didn't fancy. He also previously mentioned that he felt Harry didn't give him a fair crack at it.

Back
Top Bottom