Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Peter Crouch was furious with Levy for selling him, but also said that he'd want Levy to be the chairman of his club as a fan. Which seems to say it all. He's not a conventional fan, but he's utterly single-minded in chasing his ambition of making Spurs into a continental giant, on his terms.
Never gonna happen while he is around. Cannot trust a word he says, he is a snake crawling along on his belly imo...

Not signing anyone was one thing but cashing in on Dembele was fucking criminal. We were getting injuries galore at the time to but they still felt it best to cash in. Just fucking disgusting.

Dembele was exactly what we needed last night, would have won the game with him playing. No denying it, that £11M could cost us a CL this season, and maybe participation in it next season too. I hope not but I just think it was a dumb decision without bringing in a replacement.

Dembele was exactly what we needed last night, would have won the game with him playing. No denying it, that £11M could cost us a CL this season, and maybe participation in it next season too. I hope not but I just think it was a dumb decision without bringing in a replacement.
It's one of the most negligent, profit over glory decisions that's been made in the history of the club. Genuinely believe that. We just couldn't resist that 11 million. Sickening.

I think there's a chance he agreed to it, but on the premise we brought in a replacement. And if this wasn't the case and he just willingly agreed to weaken his squad mid season then he's just as culpable as anyone else.
Thing is Dembele was the one that wanted to leave. It wasn't Levy pushing for a sale. It was Dembele himself. He didn't feel that his body held up anymore to the PL and CL tempo. This was a long time servant asking to exit on his terms and Poch and Levy both allowed it.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the end of the day Dembele was the one asking to move, and the club allowed it instead of risking souring relations with a senior player.

Thing is Dembele was the one that wanted to leave. It wasn't Levy pushing for a sale. It was Dembele himself. He didn't feel that his body held up anymore to the PL and CL tempo. This was a long time servant asking to exit on his terms and Poch and Levy both allowed it.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the end of the day Dembele was the one asking to move, and the club allowed it instead of risking souring relations with a senior player.
Nah don't really buy this at all. Sure Dembele may have fancied a move but his relationship with the club and Poch was clearly very strong. If we had sat him down and explained to him that we needed him for the rest of the season as we couldn't find a replacement for him in January there's no way he would have objected IMO.

It's one of the most negligent, profit over glory decisions that's been made in the history of the club. Genuinely believe that. We just couldn't resist that 11 million. Sickening.
Bullshit. Dembele wanted to leave, he himself has been pushing for a move away for 2 seasons now, he has actually confirmed this himself. He could no longer put his body through what he had to do to play in one of the most physically demanding leagues, in one of the most physically demanding teams.

He wanted out, we were OK with that. And "we" means Poch and Levy. It suited ALL parties. (FWIW he was my favourite players to watch, he is the reason why I part with cash to watch football).

Never gonna happen while he is around. Cannot trust a word he says, he is a snake crawling along on his belly imo...
Hmmm, exactly why can't we trust a word he says? He hasn't gone around making promises he hasn't kept. You seem to be driven to find carton villains you can attack because football doesn't not actually fit the scripted narrative with release that you seek.

Maybe try Netflix instead?

So, Levy selling a physically diminished midfielder in January, who by his own admission was no longer able to play in the PL, was being grossly negligent?

I am a huge Mousa Dembele fan, but the clear fact was that he was no longer fit to play at this level and his attempts to do so late last season and early this showed that. And yes, Pochettino clearly sanctioned that sale. They tried to do it last January as well.

Also, by the admissions of Aston Villa, Frenkie de Jong, and Olympic Lyonnais, we'd been trying pretty hard to replace our aging midfield. And for various reasons, all 3 of these deals didn't happen. We didn't panic, Pochettino didn't want anyone else, and Levy didn't force any players on the manager. Yet, this was negligence?

Look boys and girls, if you think that football is like FIFA, you need to stop watching. We had a plan, but it didn't pan out. That can happen. Not sure how it is Daniel Levy's fault that Frenkie de Jong felt such personal loyalty to Ajax and he didn't want to leave, or that Aston Villa got bought by new ownership? In the real world, in complicated situations (and a transfer window is emphatically that), plans don't always happen, and there is nothing you can do about it.

So, Levy selling a physically diminished midfielder in January, who by his own admission was no longer able to play in the PL, was being grossly negligent?

I am a huge Mousa Dembele fan, but the clear fact was that he was no longer fit to play at this level and his attempts to do so late last season and early this showed that. And yes, Pochettino clearly sanctioned that sale. They tried to do it last January as well.

Also, by the admissions of Aston Villa, Frenkie de Jong, and Olympic Lyonnais, we'd been trying pretty hard to replace our aging midfield. And for various reasons, all 3 of these deals didn't happen. We didn't panic, Pochettino didn't want anyone else, and Levy didn't force any players on the manager. Yet, this was negligence?

Look boys and girls, if you think that football is like FIFA, you need to stop watching. We had a plan, but it didn't pan out. That can happen. Not sure how it is Daniel Levy's fault that Frenkie de Jong felt such personal loyalty to Ajax and he didn't want to leave, or that Aston Villa got bought by new ownership? In the real world, in complicated situations (and a transfer window is emphatically that), plans don't always happen, and there is nothing you can do about it.
By his own admission? Find me a quote from Dembele where he said he was 'no longer able to play in the Premier League.' Or indeed any proper evidence that really supports this train of thought?
I mean sure, this may have been a small part of the thought process in his head, I can't imagine Pochs training is nice for any player with a history of injuries, but it's a narrative that has been blown way out of proportion by people desperate to justify his sale.

I've said this before, without a shadow of a doubt Dembele was not the player he was, he had slowed down a lot, but he was NOT a crock. He had played for us many times this season before getting injured in November, and played well I might add, and had returned to training the week before we sold him.

By his own admission? Find me a quote from Dembele where he said he was 'no longer able to play in the Premier League.' Or indeed any proper evidence that really supports this train of thought?
I mean sure, this may have been a small part of the thought process in his head, I can't imagine Pochs training is nice for any player with a history of injuries, but it's a narrative that has been blown way out of proportion by people desperate to justify his sale.

I've said this before, without a shadow of a doubt Dembele was not the player he was, he had slowed down a lot, but he was NOT a crock. He had played for us many times this season before getting injured in November, and played well I might add, and had returned to training the week before we sold him.
9 premier League appearances this season.

.....Or he'd have been unfit to play.

He's semi-retirement began in China. I love the guy, but give up the ghost.

Failing to replace him; sure take Poch & Levy to task over that, but selling Dembele itself didn't consign our season to disaster as some insist on painting.

In an alternate universe, Walker, Dembele, VDV, Modrich, Bale and all the other players fans miss to the point of obsession are playing together and just won the Intergalaxy Cup.

Back
Top Bottom