Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We finished fifth with more points than when we finished fourth.

But we didnt finish 4th, if we finish 5th with more points than last season that's still a failure, the league is based on where you finish not how many points you get in relation to the previous season.

But we didnt finish 4th, if we finish 5th with more points than last season that's still a failure, the league is based on where you finish not how many points you get in relation to the previous season.
You say that as if finishing 4th the previous season wasn't a failure. We knew we had to finish 3rd to guarantee Champions League and we blew it. Both seasons we finished one position off the Champions League, there's little difference.

You say that as if finishing 4th the previous season wasn't a failure. We knew we had to finish 3rd to guarantee Champions League and we blew it. Both seasons we finished one position off the Champions League, there's little difference.
We have to finish 3rd this season to guarantee CL football. We were deprived of CL football by a magnificent cunting that could only have been topped by it being woolwich and not chelsea.

I think that DL's biggest weakness has been his footballing decisions, and he seems to have realised that in bringing in Baldini. His failure to back us in the Winter transfer window when we were solidly in third remains his biggest failure for me: Saha and the fat Kiwi were no way to cement a top 3 finish, and our small-on-quality squad rather predictably ran out of steam. This window has been very good on paper - it's up to AVB to make it work now.

Off the pitch, I think he's always tried to do the right thing. It made sense to consider Stratford, given the cost of the NDP. Our training centre is one of the best in world football and we continue to invest significantly in youth talent. Hopefully WHL2 will materialise soon. It could be so much worse.

We have to finish 3rd this season to guarantee CL football. We were deprived of CL football by a magnificent cunting that could only have been topped by it being woolwich and not chelsea.
It's not like this came as a surprise to us though. The media were banging on about this possibility for ages, everyone knew it could happen. We had third place in our hands and then we fucked up. We failed to get what we set out to.

I think that DL's biggest weakness has been his footballing decisions, and he seems to have realised that in bringing in Baldini. His failure to back us in the Winter transfer window when we were solidly in third remains his biggest failure for me: Saha and the fat Kiwi were no way to cement a top 3 finish, and our small-on-quality squad rather predictably ran out of steam. This window has been very good on paper - it's up to AVB to make it work now.

Off the pitch, I think he's always tried to do the right thing. It made sense to consider Stratford, given the cost of the NDP. Our training centre is one of the best in world football and we continue to invest significantly in youth talent. Hopefully WHL2 will materialise soon. It could be so much worse.
Agree with all of this. We seem to have made our best signings during Levy's era when there's been a director of football at the club (apart from when he got very lucky with VDV, of course). It's clear that Levy needs somebody with a better footballing knowledge to concentrate on that side of things, but other than that I find it hard to find many faults. There are certainly a hell of a lot less of those than there are plus points, especially in the latter years of his reign. Financially we seem to be in a fantastic position. Let's not forget how different that is compared to previous regimes who have almost bankrupted the club with their financial mismanagement.

His failure to back us in the Winter transfer window when we were solidly in third remains his biggest failure for me: Saha and the fat Kiwi were no way to cement a top 3 finish, and our small-on-quality squad rather predictably ran out of steam.

This...

However, I think he couldn't have played the Bale saga any better. We got a absolute shedload of money in to fund a squad revolution and he left our rivals with little more than a day to make panic buys in a Real Madrid fire sale.

Yes, he promised Bale would not be sold but people who have started perpetuating bullshit that Levy has 'betrayed' AVB (like that shit stirring ginger prick Adrian Durham) need a reality check. Madrid were willing to pay over the odds to secure a marquee player. Yes, he may well go on to justify this price tag but no chairman with any sense would turn down such a ludicrous offer, let alone when the player is clearly starting to itch for a move.

It's not like this came as a surprise to us though. The media were banging on about this possibility for ages, everyone knew it could happen. We had third place in our hands and then we fucked up. We failed to get what we set out to.

We had fourth place in our hands last season too remember? #negativespiral

I know. I said in my original post in this thread that there was little difference. We finished one position off what we needed both times and so both were a failure. The points total last season implies improvement at the very least, and the league positions over the last 4 seasons show an element of consistency we've not seen for years. We might not be quite getting there but we've become a hell of a lot more competitive than we were before Levy and Enic.

We can only go out for 38 games a season and do our best. We can't control what happens to the other teams around us.

This would imply that the chances of us beating Chelsea and Wigan beating Woolwich are the same.
They aren't, the fact we finished 1 point off them suggests to me that our seasons were essentially the same, bar us losing a game they drew.

Eh, at the end of the day, Real sold an immense player, bought one I don't think is much better if at all, and financed a squad for us. All at a cost of €50m to themselves.

I give Levy credit for driving a hard bargain with Bale and getting our replacements in first etc. but he got flattened with a big left hook he didn't see coming and it's made him look like a bit of a tit with his 'lets delay then' antics, hopefully he learns from this whole saga :levywtf:

Back
Top Bottom