Current Squad Next Season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This hasn't really been covered elsewhere, but I just wondered on what peoples thoughts are on the squad we have? We know what we need - mainly a striker, but I wonder how people think the squad will progress? I guess I'm talking a lot about the players who are out on loan or on the fringes of the squad.

Kyle Walker - made a few mistakes yesterday that almost without doubt could have at least helped to prevent one, if not both goals. But he is still very young. He needs to work on his positioning, but he could be our future right back for many many years. He needs to be around players like King who can help him with his positioning. I also think that Walker could do a job replacing Lennon from time to time, though obviously we'd all prefer a winger in there. I wonder if Redknapp would be tempted to push him forward like he did with Bale?

Kyle Naughton - the other Kyle. The one that I thought we were interested in more than Walker. He will have had a year on loan at a premiership side who are doing ok and play good football. I can see him coming back and being our back up Right back... i think i'm right in saying that he can also cover left back and has played there before (Windy?). Again, he still young, but this season would have done him the world of good.

Danny Rose - Young, good squad player. Not sure he'll make our first team on many occasions at all. I would like to see him go out on loan at somewhere like Norwich and see exactly what he could do.

Jake Livermore - Played OK when he had a lot asked of him at the start of the season and has shown in the last few games that he has the potential to hold his own in midfield. With so many midfielders (parker, Sandro and Huddlestone) all in front of him at the mo, he'll find it hard to get many starts, but he is great to have on the bench, and (as someone rightly said in another thread) he is a much better option to have than Jenas. Again, he is very young still for a player in his position - playing with Scott Parker and Sandro will only help bring him on.

Steven Caulker - Has done well for Swansea. Another team who have put in some good performances and played good football. HE should be in the first team squad next season and I can see him replacing Bassong and maybe even Gallas. Levy will be keen to get rid of Gallas who is reportedly on big wages. So King, Kaboul, Dawson and Caulker. Should be enough, but would prefer 1 more. Huddlestone could cover in an emergency.

Andros Townsend - Glad he has gone to Leeds. Hopefully can get some good perfomances under his belt. Ideally he could be a good understudy to Lennon, but I can't see him being the guy to push Lennon or Bale for their starting places. However, we do need someone who is happy to play second fiddle to Lennon and Bale, someone who can sit on the bench, not earn a lot of money and be happy to be at Spurs.

Harry Kane - Not really seen much of him to be able to comment. looked ok in Europe, but not great - like a chunky Peter Crouch who plays a bit deeper. I think the guy could do with going out on Loan again to a premiership team this time - someone like a Swansea or Norwich. Can't see him being with the first team next season.

Tom Carroll - Looks like he could be a very tidy centre midfielder, but he needs to do some growing first. Be good to see him in the Championship next season and drinking liquidised chicken and raw eggs whilst doing some weights. Another season and he could be on the fringes of the team.

Adam Smith - Again, Windy may be able to help, but from the reports I've seen he could have the potential to be our right back in a couple of years. I think I remember seeing a report that the Spurs coaching staff rate him as a potential England right back (you wait years with Hutton and Corluka, then two come along at once)

Falque - set to make his debut for Southampton tonight. He looked good in Europe. I would see him as being on the subs bench most of next season - possibly in place of both Pienaar, Dos Santos and maybe Kranjcar. He would be on far less salary than either - let alone combined.

All of this without mentioning Cellabos and Coulibaly. I can see these two starting to get games next season in the early stages of the cup. IF we get a CL place then I would expect us to field almost completely different teams in the domestic cup competitions

I think Walker is absolutely miles ahead of all the others at the moment. When he get a 'football brain' on him he will be a superb player. Caulker I can see getting a few games if Gallas/Bassong go. Exciting prospect but needs the games.
They all need games really, stating the obvious I know but people like Carroll need to be playing week in week out.

Walker should be looking to become England's RB for the next decade as far as I'm concerned although how Micah Richards doesn't get a look in ahead of the overrated Glen Johnson I'll never know. He is without doubt one of our better players so far this season in my opinion. Yes he's made some mistakes and his positioning has been worrying at times but I'm guessing due to his pace he's spent most of his career so far being able to atone for those mistakes (as he has for most part this season). Given his experience and age he's a very exciting prospect - if you can call him that any more.

Naughton was who we were most interested in at the time but for one reason or another things just haven't panned out. Some would say that's because every chance he got he's been stuck at left back and has looked a little shaky (unsurprisingly) and while that may be right I think he's just been overtaken by Walker. Personally I'd sooner have Corluka at RB than Naughton. He's found his level at Norwich and while I expect he'll come back I don't expect he'll see his future at Spurs and neither do I.

Can't really argue with your assessment of Danny Rose. His problem is he's got Ekotto and Bale in his way. Does he see himself as someone who "plays" at spurs or someone who is an integral part of a team in the lower half of the premiership or in the championship. I don't see us letting him go anywhere next season unless we sign someone else who can cover at left back as he has done. Squad player and only first team starter if things go really tits up.

I really like Livermore and would personally have him in front of Huddlestone who I don't believe (and never have done) has what it takes to be more than a substitute in a top, top team as we're striving to become. Neither has Livermore but his wages are a lot less. Having said that I'd rather Huddlestone on the bench because of his experience and he's the closest thing we've got to replacing Modric so if Tommy ever returns to some sort of fitness Jake isn't going to get much of a look in. Possible loan but only to a premier league club.

Caulker will return and should be looking to cement a place in the side sooner rather than later. Still very young but saw quite a bit of him last season when he was on loan at Bristol City (local team). Has continued his form at Swansea. Still plenty of work to do but as I said he should be looking to return to Spurs and push Dawson for a starting place in my eyes. That's if King is injured of course. There's an argument here that he would improve even more by staying out on loan which is fine if we believe he'll only be 5th choice behind someone like Gallas/someone new but I believe we should be looking at a King/Kaboul first choice with Dawson and Caulker competing to be their immediate back up.

As far as Kane/Townsend/Carroll/Falque/Smith go I don't see them featuring in the first team in non carling cup type games next season and with the exception of possibly Smith I don't see any of them making the grade at the club if we continue to remain at the top end of the league. If we slip further down at some point then someone like Carroll might come in. As you say he's probably the one who could do with a season long loan somewhere he's going to play every week.

It's hard to say on players so young but I do believe nowadays if you're not in the first team, or at least on the bench by the time you're 20/21 you're not going to be anything special. When you consider the likes of Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone, Walker, Defoe, Dawson, King etc were all playing for their relevant first teams (the first 4 and King doing it at spurs) by the time they were 20/21 it shows if you're not there by that age you're probably not going to be.

I'd say Walker, Rose and a returning Caulker are the 3 best hopes... Carroll, unless he puts some fucking weight on, is Mark Robson MkII in waiting... Naughton is gonna turn out to be a poor man's Walker, who we already have... Harry 'Hurri' Kane is most probably gonna end up in the Championship, or back plying his trade on the 'Guess Who' board where his red cheeks belong....

perhaps we can make something of Livermore & Falque... Townsend, like Kane, has Championship written all over him... and I'd completely forgotten about Adam Smith.

Of the others, Jon Obika must be almost 40 by now...! can't see he's EVER going to make the breakthrough.
But maybe the boys Bentley & Jenas could yet prove their worth... it would be like two new signings! (PLAYER RETURNING FROM LOAN/INJURY CLICHÉ!)

I think the Dr has hit the nail on the head. If we are going to hover around top 4 from now on you are going to have to be very special to get in the team. Much like Rooney at Man U, Wilshire (puke) and so on.

Dru said:
I think the Dr has hit the nail on the head. If we are going to hover around top 4 from now on you are going to have to be very special to get in the team. Much like Rooney at Man U, Wilshire (puke) and so on.

Yep agreed.

Perhaps my point wasn't that clear.

It's gonna be hard, with our current finances, to sign players who are happy to sit on the bench. City can do it as they can offer £200k p/w wages - we can't pay our first team that.

I think we have some very promising players in a few positions who may not offer much in competition, but will offer a reliable back-up/alternative and will be on moderate wages and won't mind being on the bench in most games.

squad of 25

Freidel Cudicini

Walker Naughton
Ekotto Rose
King Caulker
Kaboul Dawson

Lennon NEW GUY
Bale NEW GUY
Modric Huddelstone
Parker Sandro

Adebayor NEW GUY
Van der Vaart Defoe

Livermore, Gallas, Falque

Hoilet looks like a possibility to cover Lennon and/or Bale

hopefully we can sign Adebayor on a permanent alongside a younger Target Man type forward who has potential but is also prepared to play second fiddle for a year or so.

Corluka, Bassong, Pienaar, Pavulychenko, Krancjar to make way - should get around 20 mil ish from them, would cover Hoilett and another back up option for the wings and then spend 15 - 20 mil on a proper prospect up top. shouldn't be out of the realms of possibility

Think Smith will be pushing Walker for the RB slot in a couple of years time but should go to a Championship/newly promoted PL team next season for abit more experience.

i cannot see adebayor being here next season unless levy is prepared to shatter our wage structure/ top earners guide what ever you want to call it.
i think thats where our foucus will be come summer.. strikers & possibly looking to find a long term keeper option.
the squad for me is very strong with the likes of livermore, caulker & naughton gaining invaluable premiership experience this season..

i also think alot depends on wether we get the golden egg of ecl football again!

Watching Southampton v Leicester, half paying attention as got work to do as well. Couple of times Falque's looked a little bit reluctant to join in the attack but then Southampton have been under the cosh for most of it and Leicester are not bad on the break so maybe that's why he stayed back. When he gets involved going forward though he looks alright, he nearly had a shot on just before half time but it was blocked.

Sibs said:
Kyle Naughton - the other Kyle. The one that I thought we were interested in more than Walker. He will have had a year on loan at a premiership side who are doing ok and play good football. I can see him coming back and being our back up Right back... i think i'm right in saying that he can also cover left back and has played there before (Windy?). Again, he still young, but this season would have done him the world of good.

Adam Smith - Again, Windy may be able to help, but from the reports I've seen he could have the potential to be our right back in a couple of years. I think I remember seeing a report that the Spurs coaching staff rate him as a potential England right back (you wait years with Hutton and Corluka, then two come along at once)

Naughton has definitely played left back a fair bit (for Sheff Utd, Leicester and Norwich).

The way I see this progressing - we sell Naughton to Norwich for around £5m, and use Smith as our back up right back next year. Hopefully he will get enough games to make it worthwhile for him to stick around rather than go out on loan again (unlike Townsend during the first half of this year!).

Bale has a wand of a left foot and is a much better crosser of the ball than Walker. Last resort playing him at RM imo.

Billyiddo said:
squad of 25

Freidel Cudicini

Walker Naughton
Ekotto Rose
King Caulker
Kaboul Dawson

Lennon NEW GUY
Bale NEW GUY
Modric Huddelstone
Parker Sandro

Adebayor NEW GUY
Van der Vaart Defoe

Livermore, Gallas, Falque

Hoilet looks like a possibility to cover Lennon and/or Bale

hopefully we can sign Adebayor on a permanent alongside a younger Target Man type forward who has potential but is also prepared to play second fiddle for a year or so.

Corluka, Bassong, Pienaar, Pavulychenko, Krancjar to make way - should get around 20 mil ish from them, would cover Hoilett and another back up option for the wings and then spend 15 - 20 mil on a proper prospect up top. shouldn't be out of the realms of possibility

Agree with most, but don't think we'll get to keep Adebayor... not 'cos the guy doesn't want to stay, but I reckon man City will play hard-ball with us now, the blood's starting to get bad between us!

must say i watched the qpr v mk dons game and i thought smith was a beast!

going forward he was very good, really was impressed as i kinda assumed he was toilet. only thing i will say is looked a bit lightweight defensively. and dons were smashed 4-2 last night. but i can only base on what i've seen and i was suitably impressed.

kane is dogshit unfortunatly. he may need years to develop, which is understandable, but from what i've seen, do we really need someone floating around for years that imo doesn't look like he'll be anything special.

rose i raised my hopes for last season, seeing him at left back, again, i'm back to square one with him, not really convinced (still a legend forever, we love you danny boy).

carroll looks decent, again though, where and when would he play. tbf, he has time on his side, and looks twice the player kane is.

livermore is standard. i'm happy with him, moreso as he seems like a great team player (i.e. happy to do whatever is asked). one player like him in the squad is worth their weight in gold, not many are like that now. he is as well a proper spurs boy, and i love that you can tell everytime he is coming on he looks greatful to be getting involved.

townsend, again i like the look of, but does he go off the boil a bit. i don't really keep an eye on loans and shit (got windizzle copping that shit for us), but i tend to find things go a bit quiet with him when on loan... wingers are far more likely to blow hot and cold in his defence, but can he afford to at spurs with whats in front of him? i doubt it.

caulker will be around next year, in what capacity time will tell... he looks like he is growing in confidence though, felt he was a bit nervous and edgy when he played for us last year, lots of misplaced passes, but as he gets experience with swansea that confidence will grow.

what i will add is that if we do sell any of these cunts, at least we will cop a few mil for one or two of them, beats the hell out of either swapping them for some magic beans or worse still just releasing them for fuck all. it's all pretty shrewd stuff when you think about it...

Back
Top Bottom