Could the fans buy ENIC out.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't see Levy/Lewis/ENIC selling yet. They'll want to have a full season in the new stadium I would think to increase brand and therefore value.

Not keen on an outsider buying us, all we are is the latest toy. Hope ENIC stay put, at least for the foreseeable future.

There's certainly something to be said for "better the devil you know". Not that I think that ENIC are the devil by any stretch of the imagination.

I've never heard of this guy or what his sports team owning MO might be. But you never know, he might just be ENIC 2.0 (Which I would say am suggesting would be a good thing)

Not keen on an outsider buying us, all we are is the latest toy. Hope ENIC stay put, at least for the foreseeable future.

Melters and moaners can slag him off all they like, but we have a spurs FAN at the helm (an increasing rarity in the upper eschelons of the modern game)... I'd rather it stayed that way.

Whether I want Enic or not depends on their end game, what's the ultimate goal here? A shower of trophies or 20 years of incredible pragmatism and a very healthy balance sheet? Somewhere in between?

Standard running with the story now too.

Eldridge own Can international which I suspect is the same as Cain Hoy who spent some time chasing Spurs owners about 4 years ago, so presumably now the stadium has been built they want to talk again

They only own 20% of LA Dodgers so doubt they really have much control.

So if they bought a majority stake in Spurs they would learn from scratch about how to control a sports team - and a PL team in particular ( most US sports don't have relegation or a European competition which you need to win the right to enter etc so lots of things they need to learn about,).

Doubt if there would be too many advantages to their ownership over ENIC to fans.

Btw Cain International main busines is property development - I'd guess that the development areas that Spurs/other Jo Lewis companies own around the Tottenham area would be very attractive to Cain. maybe that is what all the talks are about ?

They have investments in several sports franchises but that is different from owning and controlling a club. Would make more sense if they cut their teeth on a Champo club.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

Btw Cain International main busines is property development - I'd guess that the development areas that Spurs/other Jo Lewis companies own around the Tottenham area would be very attractive to Cain. maybe that is what all the talks are about ?
Developing around Chelsea would probably be more profitable.

Eldridge own Can international which I suspect is the same as Cain Hoy who spent some time chasing Spurs owners about 4 years ago, so presumably now the stadium has been built they want to talk again

They only own 20% of LA Dodgers so doubt they really have much control.

So if they bought a majority stake in Spurs they would learn from scratch about how to control a sports team - and a PL team in particular ( most US sports don't have relegation or a European competition which you need to win the right to enter etc so lots of things they need to learn about,).

Doubt if there would be too many advantages to their ownership over ENIC to fans.
At this point I think everyone owns part of the Dodgers. I got some shares when I bought a large fountain drink at LAX.

Melters and moaners can slag him off all they like, but we have a spurs FAN at the helm (an increasing rarity in the upper eschelons of the modern game)... I'd rather it stayed that way.
Now, I know you'd never refer to me as a melter or a moaner, but the real man at the helm, as I'm sure you're aware, is Joe Lewis.
He's not and never has been a football fan, let alone a Spurs fan.
I'm not knocking you're unbridled support for Daniel Levy here, that's your prerogative. But if you think ENIC are in the game for the love of Spurs rather than long term profit on their investment then your showing a huge amount of naivity.
Personally, I'd prefer a multi billionaire owner (like we have) who's main focus is success on the pitch, rather than recording record breaking financial results each year. 1 league cup in 2 decades is pretty shameful if we're honest.
But I guess we all have different ideas on the meaning of success

Now, I know you'd never refer to me as a melter or a moaner, but the real man at the helm, as I'm sure you're aware, is Joe Lewis.
I'm not knocking you're unbridled support for Daniel Levy here, that's your prerogative. But if you think ENIC are in the game for the love of Spurs rather than long term profit on their investment then your showing a huge amount of naivity.
Personally, I'd prefer a multi billionaire owner (like we have) who's main focus is success on the pitch, rather than recording record breaking financial results each year. 1 league cup in 2 decades is pretty shameful if we're honest.

Lewis has fuck all to do with the running of the club.
Levy calls the shots. Levy wants the VERY best for Tottenham.
We are so lucky to have him. I'm really proud of our club at all levels.
It doesn't matter if the owner is a multi billionaire or a pauper - the club needs to be self sufficient.
Then to mention the shame you have about our club because of the trophies (or lack of) - speaks volumes.

Not for me. A firm disagree.

I think the bolded bit is the biggest problem with your outlook - there doesn't exist a multi billionaire owner who's main focus is success on the pitch. Primarily because one doesn't become a multi-billionaire by inordinately focussing one's attention on something with such narrow, fluxuating, and largely uncontrollable profit margins as football.

You could argue that Citeh and PSG do, but then you're into discussing inheireted, entitled wealth and whether or not actually winning is the intention or the storefront to something more dubious. For everyone else, owning a football club is largely vanity entangled with property development and the potential to leverage ownership of a football club/stadium and membership in an exclusive club to the benefit of other business interests.

Even Abramovich was clearly in it for the benefits of redeveloping a massive chunk of London real estate, and after his plans for sites like Battersea went tits up and he's faced hus immigration struggles he's pretty much stopped putting money into the club.

There's certainly no one operating a club at the level you/we aspire to that is owned by an individual focused on on-pitch results. The days of top clubs being owned by local boys made good who attend every match and sign blank cheques for the manager in hopes of winning glory are gone.

Then to mention the shame you have about our club because of the trophies (or lack of) - speaks volumes.
Speaks volumes of what?
If you don't gauge the success of your football club by what we achieve on the pitch, how do you guage it?

Is this what makes you feel proud?

Tottenham announce world-record profits of £112.9m driven by player trading and Wembley crowds

Stick your league titles and European trophies, we won the profit margin title

Does this bring a tear to your eye

Fuck your FA cups, we charge our fans more than any others to watch their football team play, despite winning the best part of fuck all for two decades!

Yeah, sure. Daniel and Joe are in it for the love of Spurs.

It's fans like you that epitomize everthing that's wrong with the modern game, and why an investment company riding the gravy train of the modern game continually get away seeing their asset multiply in value with the success of the actual football team very low on the list of priorities.

Last edited:
Speaks volumes of what?
If you don't gauge the success of your football club by what we achieve on the pitch, how do you guage it?

Is this what makes you feel proud?

Tottenham announce world-record profits of £112.9m driven by player trading and Wembley crowds

Stick your league titles and European trophies, we won the profit margin title

Does this bring a tear to your eye

Fuck your FA cups, we charge our fans more than any others to watch their football team play, despite winning the best part of fuck all for two decades!

Yeah, sure. Daniel and Joe are in it for the love of Spurs.

It's fans like you that epitomize everthing that's wrong with the modern game, and why an investment company riding the gravy train of the modern game continually get away seeing their asset multiply in value with the success of the actual football team very low on the list of priorities.

What speaks volumes - you described our lack of trophies as shameful. Suggesting you are ashamed of what we have or haven't won. You are ashamed of Tottenham, which to me speaks volumes. You clearly aren't happy with the way things are and have been going as the silverware returns don't meet your expectations. Not really necessary to explain this but expect you saw my response as 'shots fired'.

What makes me feel proud is the way we play football. The shirts we wear. Our history. The players that have come and gone. Not being a glory hunter. And when we next win a trophy, it will feel 100 times better for me than it seems to for say City or Madrid fans who are so used to winning - it's merely a minimum requirement.

Profits don't make me feel pride no. It confirms the club is being run well though.

Season ticket prices don't bring a tear to my eye no, though can safely gauge you are expecting some kind of reaction by the use of "tears". Well sorry, I'm not a petulant child.
The cost of season tickets don't bother me personally. It's very affordable really. If you want to talk about ticket pricing (which I don't think you do to be honest, you want a reaction) in my opinion we could further increase ticket prices with a clause. Lets say the average ticket is £70.. put that up to £80, but if we fail to win the game, £20 is refunded. I can't be bothered to do the proper sums looking at our home win %s, but we could probably guarantee more income over a season if we play well. Having a £90+ face value ticket to watch West Ham beat us, or Burnley hold us to a draw at home is really depressing. Paying £80-£90 to watch us beat Liverpool 4-1 or Madrid 3-1 is worth every penny - fuck if that was guaranteed I would pay an awful lot more.
I also think there should be schemes to enable low income families to take their kids to games, and also more availability for concessions. There's all sorts of ideas I would be keen to entertain.

We charge fans so much because we are a London club, play attractive football, have some of the best players in the world, and most importantly - it's the whole 'supply and demand' thing. We sold out a stadium to watch TV on the 1st June, and sold out for a friendly with Inter I understand.
If you don't feel like you get value for money - well you know what to do. I'm sure your shame of the club will be missed in the stands.

Lewis I couldn't tell you as he's quite private. Levy - I believe he loves our club entirely. He is proud of us, and is doing everything within his power to push us well beyond levels we ought to be fighting at, without being reckless ensuring proper longevity.

Okay, you make a pretty sweeping assumption about 'fans like me'. I could say similar things about yourself - but what's the point really? I'm here to talk Tottenham. It's another comment looking for some kind of reaction because I disagreed with you.
What's wrong with the modern game is a very broad subject which I can't be bothered to get into here - and that isn't the discussion you're looking for either.

Back
Top Bottom